Michael Brown verdict discussion policy

by Simon 254 Replies latest forum announcements

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

You could not be more mistaken Mr. Shilmer…. … There are protesters in Ferguson whose purpose is peaceful and they want a Just system.

I’d much rather my remarks be commented on for what they address rather than what they do not address.

My comments you object to do not address the peaceful demonstrators in Ferguson. I applaud peaceful protests!!!

My comments you object to address the hoodlums of Ferguson whose actions resemble those of Mr. Brown when it comes to property rights of store owners. Those hoodlums are a manifestation of Mr. Brown’s own behavior. What better way to honor someone than to act just like them?

• Simon
    Simon

This is a good timeline of events and the different accounts. Read it and decide which sounds more plausible and which language sounds like it's invented:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/08/us/ferguson-brown-timeline/

designs: someone walking down the middle of the road is a jerk. If they get shot and killed minutes later it doesn't negate the fact that they were a jerk moments earlier.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

And that can be happening in any protest. But I believe, based on experience in protests, that the person throwing a cinder block through a store window to take a TV is not the same person standing peacefully with some symbol of their purpose- candle light vigil, hands held up in symbol of peace, a sign etc..

And which better reflects the actions of Mr. Brown who threatened violence against a defenseless store clerk for doing no more than exercising his civil right to object to theft of property?

I think individuals “throwing a cinder block through a store window to take a TV” did, in essence, act just like Mr. Brown did that day in that store.

What better is there way to honor someone than to act just like them?

• designs
    designs

I think the use of pejoratives makes it easier for some to let this killing stand as justified.

My High School buddies who went to Viet Nam had the enemy described as 'gooks', it was easier to kill that way. That's a training trick for war. They killed men, women, and kids. Somewhere deep in their psyche was the reality of killing a human and when their humanity resurfaced and reassurted itself they had severe mental trauma over their actions.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Freeman Bosley is an attorney.

CNN quotes Mr. Bosley portrayal of Mr. Brown’s behavior in the convenience store saying, “My client, Dorian Johnson, he [told investigators about] the situation involving Big Mike taking the cigarillos. This is not a theft, it's more of a shoplifting situation." (See: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/08/us/ferguson-brown-timeline/

An officer of the court suggests shoplifting is something other than theft.

Folks who say things like that are part of the problem.

• designs
    designs

Most countries have criminal laws which differentiate thefts into degrees of misdemeanors and felonies.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I think the use of pejoratives makes it easier for some to let this killing stand as justified.

It is right and proper to express disapproval and/or contempt for bigotry.

Whether the killing of Mr. Brown was justified is a question yet unanswered. I’m not sure we’ll ever have a hard answer to that question, though we will ultimately know whether Officer Wilson will be found guilty by a court of law for homicide.

What we do know, though, is that Mr. Brown had already demonstrated behavior that we pay law enforcement officials to protect society from.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WASHINGTON POST STORY -(NOV 15) Claims of policeman's injuries were exaggerated

Early on “information was leaked from within the police department that Wilson was severely beaten and suffered an orbital eye socket ‘blowout,’ . . . “From the video released today 15 NOV) it would appear the initial descriptions of his injuries were exaggerated”.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/11/15/new-video-shows-ferguson-officer-after-shooting/

Totally contrary to what was reported by Fox News (AUG 20) -- "Darren Wilson, the Ferguson, Mo., police officer whose fatal shooting of Michael Brown touched off more than a week of demonstrations, suffered severe facial injuries including a bone fracture near one eye and was nearly beaten unconscious by Brown moments before firing his gun, a source close to the department's top brass told FoxNews.com. “The Assistant (Police) Chief took him to the hospital, his face all swollen on one side,” said the insider. “He was beaten very severely.” "

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/20/missouri-cop-was-badly-beaten-before-shooting-michael-brown-says-source/

Was there really a struggle between Brown & Wilson before the killing?

Doc

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Most countries have criminal laws which differentiate thefts into degrees of misdemeanors and felonies.

Of course they do. But guess what? Shoplifting is theft.

An attorney suggesting that shoplifting is something other than theft is part of the problem.

• Simon
    Simon

Was there really a struggle between Brown & Wilson before the killing?

So, if you don't see a severe injury in a video you doubt there was a struggle? I didn't notice any bullet holes in the video of MB - does that mean he wasn't shot?

Both sides say there was a struggle, suggesting there wasn't seems unhelpful to any sensible discussion. How badly he was hurt in any struggle will depend on the evidence no doubt presented to the grand jury.

Re: whether the theft is a robbery or not - that is semantics that don't really matter (he's not going to be prosecuted or convicted for either now). He clearly used his size and presence to take what he wanted. We could be generous and pretend that was the first and only time he'd done that but it looked more like someone who had learnt that he could just take what he wanted by intimidating people smaller and weaker than he was.

I don't know how accurate it is but the cigars taken are apparently often used to smoke pot. Sorry, I can't remember where I read that but it seemed weird how focused things were on the exact thing stolen (even the police dispatch) or why a young man would want to steal cigars at all in the first place.

Here's an interesting read about a mixed race couple suggesting that Ferguson is becoming more racially divided in response to the incident, not that the incident happened so much because of racial divisions. There also appear to be many protestors intentionally trying to incite violence and a previous lack of involvement by the black community which I think is the main thing that needs to be addressed to solve the race issues. Complaining that the police are "too white" is unfairly passing the buck - there needs to be more people stepping forward to volunteer to help police their own community.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/17/us/ferguson-biracial-couple/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Very sad seeing normal people and families having to live with such levels of fear and violence being threatened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit