Michael Brown verdict discussion policy

by Simon 254 Replies latest forum announcements

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

By the same token police officers get shot at in these situations. The word "militarized" is being thrown around a lot these days in reference to these situations. I don't generally see officers on duty wearing any more than a standard uniform. Only in these situations where there is a high likelihood of civil unrest do I see more protective gear being used. If we have a populace brazen enough to attack the police, loot, and riot based on their view of police culture rather than the facts and merits of the case then I have a hard time chastising officers whose job is to keep the rest of the citizenry and their property safe from also doing what they have to do to protect themselves in the line of that duty.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Designs, the people are outraged. They do not trust the police or a facade of friendly servants. They must militarize. The message that is being sent nationswide by law enforcement is "we do not want to get hurt. If you fight back we will kill you." Fear is the only way to control people.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My viewpoint on this case is that the officer who shot MB multiply times is guilty of negligent homicide and abuse of power.

He should be accordingly penalized and removed from the police force.

If this doesn't come through along that line, expect an upheaval of violence on the streets.

I just like to say that this is just another incident where if the police officer used a baton to subdue MB, this whole event probably wouldn't have happened, unless of course if the perpetrator pulls out a gun thats quite a different situation.

Its like police these days are afraid to get physical with people, they rather stand back and Tazz perpetrators let them fall in agony then handcuff them when they are on the ground.

Suppose thats deemed the quick and clean approach.

Some of these Tazzing events have killed people though.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The audio of the calls was released under law - the calls aren't alleged, those are the calls brought into evidence of what transpired.

---

Audio recordings the Post-Dispatch obtained of police and EMS radio calls before Brown was shot include Wilson asking whether he was needed to help respond to what the dispatcher called “stealing in progress” from a convenience store. The recordings also capture Wilson requesting backup after hearing the description of the convenience store suspect and encountering Brown and a friend walking nearby, and the police response to Brown’s shooting.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

sam, assuming that what you are saying is true, I believe it.

1) How far away from MB was the officer when he first saw him?

2) How far away was the officer when he first identified him as the suspect?

Police backup arrives at the scene very fast! How is it that they responded to the shooting before responding to the request for backup?

• designs
    designs

And those are the details showing why the officer should have waited until the other patrol vehicle showed up per request. It could have been handled so much better professionally.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Indisputable facts:

1) MB is dead and his family is heartbroken.

2) DW's life and career are ruined, he and his family will be in danger for a long time, no matter the verdict.

3) Ferguson will never be the same. I drive through there for work, at least one Dr. Office has relocated, supposedly temporarily

4) No matter the verfict, SOMEONE won't be happy.

Snakes

• Simon
    Simon

My viewpoint on this case is that the officer who shot MB multiply times is guilty of negligent homicide and abuse of power.

He should be accordingly penalized and removed from the police force.

I think it's fairer to have an actual due process and a fair hearing rather than just deciding no someone's guilt or innocence based on, well, what exactly?

If this doesn't come through along that line, expect an upheaval of violence on the streets.

That is 100% completelt irrelevent. It is not justice. The process of law should not be changed because there is a mob threatening violence.

I just like to say that this is just another incident where if the police officer used a baton to subdue MB, this whole event probably wouldn't have happened, unless of course if the perpetrator pulls out a gun thats quite a different situation.

You live in a country where guns are freely available and now the same actors would be complaining about an officer hitting someone with a stick. The police in the US need guns because the populace has access to them and many are violent. On this case I don't think trying to subdue a 300lb 6'4" man with a baton and strong words is realistic. Don't forget that there were two people involved as well. You expect the police to do that?

Its like police these days are afraid to get physical with people, they rather stand back and Tazz perpetrators let them fall in agony then handcuff them when they are on the ground.

I think they don't want to put themselves at risk. I don't blame them. Unless you are willing to do the job and go patrol the streets of furguson with just a baton then it's difficult to justify others having to do so.

And those are the details showing why the officer should have waited until the other patrol vehicle showed up per request. It could have been handled so much better professionally.

What is 'unprofessional' about calling for backup while dealing with an issue? The world you live in where the suspects wait patiently for other police to arrive is a very convenient place. The reality is the police don't always have that luxury and it appears an altercation started before other officers arrived. Who started it? The explanation that seems to make most sense is that MB did because the cop was in his car and it matches the phorensic evidence and common sense.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think the intricate details of this event were thinned out by the media, who perhaps just didn't want to upset an already established public out cry of unjustness.

The most damaging particulars for the cop is that he shot a someone multiply times in an attempt to kill the person, even though he wasn't armed.

Does getting into a hand to hand scuffle with a police officer justify a gun being pulled and killing the aggressive perpetrator ?

• Simon
    Simon

Does getting into a hand to hand scuffle with a police officer justify a gun being pulled and killing the aggressive perpetrator ?

Really? Yes!

If someone is going to fight with and overpower an officer then what next? They just say "I won" and wait for the backup to arrive?

The officer has a gun. If he's overpowered then the suspect has the gun which is likely very bad for the officer concerned, other officers who respond and the general public.

Here's a question: does being asked not to walk down the middle of the road justify someone being assaulted?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit