My Parents have gone FULL CULT MODE! Having a job is SATANIC!

by BU2B 75 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

I am pondering the idea about talking to his elders about it... Just for the record, he is an elder too. DOes that make a difference?

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

If you are going to go CULT...you have to go FULL CULT. Anything else would be unnatural.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

(2 Corinthians 12:14) Look! This is the third time I am ready to come to YOU, and yet I will not become a burden. For I am seeking, not YOUR possessions, but YOU; for the children ought not to lay up for [their] parents, but the parents for [their] children.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

BU2B: Here is my take....i am not sure of you employment or financial status. But, it seems to me that they may be setting up things so the could mouch off you. (sorry for the express)

I have seen many dubs do this....to me, it is kind of trend these day.

GTTM

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yep, my family did it to me. Borrowed thousands, of which I didn't make them repay. When one finally went bust, I refused. Then, I was told that I was materialistic and worldly for not giving. Meanwhile, they didn't know/realize the thousands I gave in the past to other JW(ish) family members that I felt were truly in need. I told them, and then they tried to shut me down for other things, "You'd be nothing without your spouse . . . " And, that's when I cut them off from me.

My suggestion for you is to play poor. Talk of impending layoffs. Offer them only $100 to cover food & gas for the week, but you can't give anymore. You are going to have to live a double life.

It would be easier to give if they were truly in need (not able to work). But, those who are offered jobs and don't take them, or those with money that choose to spend unwisely, can't be helped

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I am pondering the idea about talking to his elders about it... Just for the record, he is an elder too. DOes that make a difference?

Ugh, it might. It may depend how intimidated other elders are by your father, or how chummy they are with him. But if you approach them with the right tone of concern in your voice (and I don't think you'll have trouble being sincere), then it might do the trick.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

B2B, you are screwed. Once unemployment runs out, they are years from social security. You can figure out how little they will get here:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/index.html

Your parents are at what should be their peak earning period of their life. You may not want to accept this, but this is your problem.

You need to sit with them, make a budget and get them to understand the dilemma they are in.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think you have any responsibility to sacrifice your own and your families hard work and future plans to make up for someone elses lack of work, regardless of whether they are close family or not.

It sounds harsh, maybe it is. You just know though that all you are doing is subsidising the WatchTower volunteer programme. Giving them money is just 'enabling' their continued behavior which is going to get worse and ultimately is not going to help them.

I would give them help in the form of advice if possible and if you do include financial support try and attach some conditions to make sure they don't abuse the generosity.

Any conversation you have with them is likely to be very uncomfortable but failing to have an honest conversation about their planning for the future and whether that should adversely affect your own future and those of your own family is ultimately going to hurt them more in the long run.

Be prepared for the sad fact that they may refuse to listen - it sounds like they are pretty determined and dogmatic already. They may have to hit the bottom before they wake up to reality.

You need to sit with them, make a budget and get them to understand the dilemma they are in.

+1 to educating them about their financial state and how much money they need for the future.

Of course that can be hard when you try and talk about years to retirement and life expectancy if their view is "Armageddon will be here by then".

Try and find some scriptures about working hard, planning ahead etc... (I know there are some)

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I have an idea! I like golf. I have money to buy club things.

Tell him you have a buyer, we make the deal, then later you can tell him that an apostate bought his clubs.

So......did Jehovah provide or Satan?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Ask your parents if the JWs believe in the scripture that says "no man knows the day nor hour"

THen ask why are they taking the word from a man that this world will end in four years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit