Evolution and spirits

by Chris Tann 149 Replies latest watchtower bible

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The dreamer, you say "...people are stupid

Arthur Conan Doyle the author of Sherlock holmes, and the man responsible for the Brittish Navy having life jackets in W.W.2, was not a stupid man.

Yet read about mr Doyle and the " cottingley Fairies". Great minds can be fooled. ( maybe if time permits i should include more details of this on my " great imposters" thread?)

• Caedes
    Caedes

You have made a wrong assumption about my beliefs. I don't believe in ghosts.

You clearly haven't read my post, I didn't accuse you of believing in ghosts, I said the supernatural.

You don't know what concrete and abstract thinking is. Changing your mind does not mean you're an abstract thinker.

I didn't say I was an abstract thinker, I clearly said that you would presumably call me a concrete thinker. I was pointing out that your loaded language was no different from the intellectual bullying you accused others of. I was also pointing out that your 'concrete' thinker is a lot more flexible in their thinking than what you describe as an abstract thinker.

I am afraid you're mistaken about a lot of things in my post and sadly I did not post clearly enough to help you see my perspective.

I can see your perspective, I just disagree with it. Feel free to point out where I am mistaken, us childish 'concrete' thinkers like to have things spelt out.

Abstract thinking is a skill that adults develop.

Another ad hominen attack on those who disagree with you.

It's the ability to read between the lines with out all the evidence.

Why on earth would you want to believe things without evidence, believing things without evidence makes a person foolish and gullible.

The ability to have dicernment about a particular situation or topic and draw conclusions based on limited information.

We all have limited information, nobody here is suggesting that we have all the answers except for the likes of Perry.

Concrete thinking is black and white thinking. Only drawing conclusions if you can see them. The world is not black and white, showing understanding for a variety of people and situations requires abstract thinking, we can't always see everything, so we need the ability to read between the lines and teach our children to do the same.

Another ad hominen to suggest that those who disagree with you lack understanding for other people. The world isn't black and white, that doesn't mean anyone has to believe in things without evidence.

When I say there is no such thing as the supernatural that is reading between the lines, that complete lack of empirical evidence is a big enough smoking gun to read between the lines and say there is no such thing as the supernatural.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Chris:

I think you have something here, but the study of evolution has been done to death, the topic belongs to pointy headed intellectuals.

Why not connect with that family in Gary, and research the evolution OF spirits?

Did they start out life as small plasm bits, and evolve into the family of demons, warlocks and Devil that we all know exist around us today?

Or were they intelligently designed?

• Caedes
    Caedes

but the study of evolution has been done to death, the topic belongs to pointy headed intellectuals.

So, you think the word intellectual is an insult! hilarious.

• Splash
    Splash

I believe in spirits. I've experienced it

I've been told by those who do not believe in them that I am mistaken and that what happened actually didn't happen.

If that's the explanation that makes nonbelievers contented then so be it. We all like to believe what we believe and convince ourselves that we're right.

Splash

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Caedes-

Satire, ok?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Ceades,

You are obviously offended by my posts. I apologise I didn't realise I would cause offense. It's clear that you have misunderstood me and hopefully we can reach some kind of agreement. Concrete thinkers do not have the ability to have flexibility of thought. If you are a flexible thinker then you are not a concrete thinker. Having flexibility of thought doesn't mean you have the ability to think in abstract terms. Being flexible is different from being an abstract thinker.

You used the phrase " pointing out that your 'concrete' thinker" I am sorry if you thought my post was aimed at you as being a concrete black and white thinker. From all of the posts that I have read from you I see no evidence that you are.

Apologies again for offending you

Kate xx

• Splash
    Splash

Being able to read between the lines without all the evidence is a valuable skill.

It means you do not have to have everything spelled out to you. Instead of it being a foolish thing to do, it is a trait of an incisive person in my view.

Splash

• Caedes
    Caedes

Pistoff,

My mistake!

• Caedes
    Caedes

You are obviously offended by my posts. I apologise I didn't realise I would cause offense.

No apologies neccesary, I was not offended. I have a sturdy pair of big boy pants and am not afraid to use them. I am merely pointing out what I think are flaws in your logic and pointing out that claiming you were being intellectually bullied when you had already insulted a portion of your readers was hypocritical.

It's clear that you have misunderstood me and hopefully we can reach some kind of agreement. Concrete thinkers do not have the ability to have flexibility of thought. If you are a flexible thinker then you are not a concrete thinker. Having flexibility of thought doesn't mean you have the ability to think in abstract terms. Being flexible is different from being an abstract thinker.

Personally I think that human beings are a lot fuzzier than that, people are capable of compartmentalizing their lives and their thinking to an astonishing degree. I don't think it does anyone any favours to try and lump people into neat little boxes, it's the same as trying to herd cats. I think we all have the ability to think creatively, abstractly, regimented and scientifically if we choose to.

You used the phrase " pointing out that your 'concrete' thinker" I am sorry if you thought my post was aimed at you as being a concrete black and white thinker. From all of the posts that I have read from you I see no evidence that you are.

No, I was making the point that I am of a similar scientific viewpoint as Cofty, I want to see empirical evidence. I completely dismiss any and all belief in the supernatural. Your point was aimed at those you believe are 'concrete' thinkers, not at me personally, however by any fair appraisal I am in the same camp as Cofty. The fact that you weren't specifically talking about me doesn't mean that your post wouldn't apply to me and a large group of people on this site.

Apologies again for offending you

My apologies for giving you the impression I was offended!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit