Evolution and spirits

by Chris Tann 149 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Chris you haven't got the first clue about the scientific method.

Eyewitness accounts and anecdotes are not proof of anything. The psychologists had access to far more information than you do and they gave their professional verdict.

Please keep studying the objective evidence for evolution. These are things you can examine for yourself. They don't depend on the testimony of hysterical and superstitious people.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's quality of proof, Chris Tann, and all these claimed sightings are short on proof.

Do you think the Texans are going to be successful hunting Big Foot? There are plenty of eye witness accounts.

http://www.ktre.com/story/26852451/east-texan-takes-hunt-for-bigfoot-to-television

The Bird of Paradise project by comparison, has much stronger proofs.

http://www.birdsofparadiseproject.org/

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber

Or to put it bluntly, before people invented spirits, these same events were explained away in other ways. Is "spirits" correct, then, or is it the other thing that people invented before that? How would you know "spirit" would be the correct cause unless you were predisposed to beleive in them as any answer for weird things in the first place?

• cofty
    cofty

truthseeker (ironic name) - You had an experience when you were a child that you can't explain. So what? I saw cowboys and indians in my room when I was a child. It was 100% real to me.

Do you think Geronimo was really in my room or do you think there might be a more prosaic explanation? Clue - I had a fever.

It's ok to be puzzled by things we can't explain. Filling the gaps with fantasies about demons is just silly.

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber

I saw angels in my room holding a conference when I was a kid, clear as day. As I got older and thought less of angels and visions, I started seeing spiders crawling on me in my room instead (because that was my latent phobia). That's when I realized and read up on waking dreams. After doing so, I didn't just discount the spiders but keep holding the angels as real.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I never said demons. I don't know what it was. All I know is that it scared the heck out of me. And at the time, I was in another brother's house who was an elder.

I say forget preconceived ideas, the Bible, demons, ghosts, whatever you call it - you are still left with something that can't be expained.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Cofty,

This is but one experience. No, I wasn't ill or hallucinating.

• talesin
    talesin

I don't think abstract thinkers are more prone to stupidity.

Sheesh, physics is all about proving abstract concepts, umm, right? I mean, the higher you go in mathematics (despite what some snooty engineer may think), the more abstract your thinking must become.

As far as this poster is concerned, the opposite is true. It's rigid thinking that leads to beliefs in religion and spirits and other such nonsense. All the little wage slaves being raised in the public school system, taught revisionist history and hate, are easy pickings for those who peddle fundamentalist clap-trap.

tal

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber

...then it's something that can't be explained yet, by the knowledge that you personally have at the time. It doesn't make it supernatural because there's a possibility that if someone else with enough knowledge was around at the time, they COULD explain it with naturalistic means.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Billy,

I think that's fair but I don't know how else it could be explained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit