Evolution and spirits

by Chris Tann 149 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Yes you can.

Nobody has EVER levitated or moved an object under controlled conditions. Not once. Why not?

The videos were a show caleed ghost hunters

A show that is totally fake & for entertainment only.

Anyway as OneEyedJoe said this topic is not connected to the evidence for evolution.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The show Ghost Hunters is entirely unbiased of course.

• talesin
    talesin

Psychology has NOTHING to do with spirits and demons. It is a medical science. Maybe check the wording, did you mean to say (????).

I only mention this Cofty, because so many JWs have been taught that going to a psychologist or therapist can encourage demons, not to pick at what you said. Many JWs and ex-JWs need therapy, and linking psychology to belief in demons and spirits is just wrong. Thanks.

To the OP, please reference any newspaper articles - this is quite vague.

tal

• cofty
    cofty

I don't understand your point Talesin.

A person's belief that they have been the subject of a demonic attack has everything to do with psychology.

• talesin
    talesin

Psychology does not promote belief in spirits. The only connection I can make, is that a psychologist may help someone figure out that they are NOT seeing spirits or demons.

Seriously, I don't see what you are saying. I wouldn't want a person to discount therapy as a legitimate means of freeing themselves from the 'cult thinking' because they read here, that belief in spirits was promoted by psychology. So could you explain what you mean? Not looking to argue, just really want to get to the bottom of this, as you are quite well-read. Though we disagree on style, I agree with your facts just about 100% of the time.

Thanks!

tal

• cofty
    cofty

I am saying that there are psychological causes for people's conviction that they have had demonic experiences.

No matter how real or convincing those experiences may seem they are subjective - they are due to the way the individual is interpreting events. They are rooted in the persons psyche not in objective reality.

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, cofty. That really clarifies the point you were making. Belief systems, especially when learned before cognitive thinking processes are established, can be deeply-rooted in one's psychological makeup. So true!

:)

tal

• cofty
    cofty

Yes. We are descended from many generations of ancestors who were quick to ascribe agancy to random events.

Our ancestors neighbours who were more cool about rustling in the bushes tended to end up as lion food.

Spirits and demons are a catch-all for agency we can't define.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

There are no spirits...no ghouls, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, mummys etc...you know why I know that?

Because in 2014, where there are more mobile devices that can capture photos and videos in HD than there are people on the planet, and not one has caught one picture/video of evidence.

I'm not sure where you say you have seen video footage but it will most likely be fake. There are no pictures or videos of anything supernatural (although there may be some that have a rational explanation but we don't know it)...ergo these things don't exist.

As others have mentioned superstition or psychology can be shown to explain these things.

Also, my logic also applies to a god...there has not been any evidence from the 20 billion people who have ever lived to prove a god exists, he remains hidden. Again he doesn't exist.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

At the hospital a few witnesses( a nurse and a social worker) saw one of the children levitate backwards across the floor and then float up the wall. This was a public activity of wicked spirits. Verified.

Where did this happen? What were the names of the witnesses? What was the name of the child? Who exactly "verified" it? And how have you determined that it was "spirits" that did it?

So how does soneone who is an atheist, believes in evolution account for these things that have been happening for thousands of years?

You are trying to switch the burden of proof from you to the athiest. You're the one making the claim that supernatural events occure. Thus, it is up to you to provide evidence for your claim and explain how you've determined what caused it. First you would have to demonstrate that such an event did in fact occure. Next, you would need to explain how you know that it was "spirits". Just because another person doesn't have a naturalistic explination for something DOES NOT MEAN that you just get to plug in a super natural explination. When we don't know the answer to something the answer is "I don't know" not "hey, let's make something up."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit