Evolution and spirits

by Chris Tann 149 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

So many people nowadays are abstract thinkers. They don't need evidence for their beliefs, - KateW

Yes sadly that is true.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Cofty it's not sad that people are abstract thinkers it's a vital part of growing up. You shamelessly quote mined me and did not put the whole of my sentence to make some glib remark.

Having concrete beliefs about God, evolution and spirits is not essential for happiness. Having concrete views on these things can cause many to push their views on others using teqniques such as intellectual bullying. This is a childish and unhealthy way to communicate.

Kate xx

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

Who's to say "spirits" aren't something puny humans can't explain in their limited grasp of science and the universe? For those who state that the only people they know who have had encounters have at one time been in a mental institute should perhaps be less judgemental. I am agnostic, believe in evolution and believe in the unexplainable (realizing many things can actually be explained to be things other than "spirits"). I like that I have freedom to believe as I choose now. I don't know what some of the things are that happen...it's why I refer to them as unexplainable but not impossible. Limited knowledge leads to the perpetuation of ignorance. Humans have barely scratched the surface of science. i prefer not to limit my idea of what is possible and what is not possible based merely on what science thinks it knows now about the properties of the universe.

• cofty
    cofty

intellectual bullying - Kate

That is just a whinge.

Evidence either stands up to scrutiny or it doesn't.

• cofty
    cofty

I like that I have freedom to believe as I choose now. - joyfulfader

I don't choose my beliefs. I examine the evidence and limit my conclusions accordingly. Beliefs take care of themselves without you even thinking about them while you are busy focusing on reality.

• KateWild
    KateWild

That is just a whinge.- Cofty

Hahaha is that your best response, you make me laugh cofty. Sometimes personal experience is enough for some people and evidence to them is solid. Plenty of people just believe in everything, and it's no big deal cofty.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I examine the evidence and limit my conclusions accordingly.-cofty

That's just an unmeasureable claim. Evidence is subjective, personal experience can be considered as evidence. Evidence to me is different to evidence to you.

Kate xx

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I have heard countless accounts of people who have experienced frightening encounters with evil forces.

Well to be honest me ol' cocker locker this is just 'anecdotal evidence' and proves nothing. A bit like me telling you I rose from the dead a week ago. You only have my word for it.

I have even seen videos of strange paranormal happenings. Even seeing a shadowy figure with extreme speed.

Consider this, I have seen vshows of Dr Who and but he's just fictional. The Daleks aren't real and neither are many of the special effects.

So first of all we ask: What actual, testable proof is there for spirits?

• punkofnice
  • THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

With regards to evolution and the belief in all kinds of invisible spirits, some Christians accept that humans have descended from apes but tell me only humans have souls, apes do not.

The original objection to Darwin’s findings from the established church was that if humans evolved from apes, then they cannot have a soul. They accused him of heresy.

I have put the following question to a number of Christians that believe in evolution but have never received an answer: If humans have a soul, and apes do not, at what point in evolution did God start adding souls?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit