900 Top Scientists Sign Statement Skeptical of Macro-Evolution

by Perry 128 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bemused
    bemused

'Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged.'

Indeed. Perhaps a few of these 'top scientists' should do just that.

• bohm
    bohm

Yes 900 top scientists, each and everyone from top universities and with an extensive publication record in fields strongly connected to evolutionary biology has used their expert knowledge to determine there are problems with evolution.

This is certainly worth noticing, take for instance Mark Apkarian, one of the 900 top scientists who first obtained his PhD from the university of mexico in the field of ... kinesiology ... now employed at the top-rated ... biola university ... with an extensive publication record of ... no publications at all.

Certainly when Mark Apkarian says something, the scientific world listens!

Or to take another from the list, Suzanne Phillips, a professor of biology and (supposedly, however her webpage does not tell) leader of the biology department of the internationally acclaimed university of ... Southwestern Adventist University ... a position she landed based on her strong publications record composed of ... 5 articles ... not all of which she is the first author.

Lol. Not everyone on the list is a a joke, but you don't quite get the impression it is too hard to make the list if you have a PhD in something or another. More to the point, if we should be convinced by a person having a PhD, then would that not mean we should all subscribe to evolution since this is what most PhDs believe?

• bemused
    bemused

bohm - agreed, many of them don't seem qualified in this area. I wonder how much evolutionary science Robert W. Bass had to study to get his Ph.D. in mathematics?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Being skepitical is a good thing, critical analysis is another good thing. Testing theories - well that is what scientists do.

I am not sure signing this says anything other than scientists agreeing to good scientists.

• simon17
    simon17

Being skepitical is a good thing, critical analysis is another good thing. Testing theories - well that is what scientists do.

I am not sure signing this says anything other than scientists agreeing to good scientists.

Exactly, nothing wrong with wondering about current theories. They are not claiming it is false. Its not their specific field of study, in probably contradicts with their religious belief, and they would like to look at it further. Nothign wrong with that. Not all scientists believe in evolution (yet..)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Coded Logic: 900 you say? Well that represents less than 1/50th of 1% of the worlds scientists.

Practically the majority in Perry World.

punkofnice: So what? There's still a flat earth society.

Are you suggesting the earth is not flat, punkie?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

ADCMS - Are you suggesting the earth is not flat, punkie?

In answer to any questions I have no answer for....er............GOD MUST HAVE DONE IT!!!!

• bemused
    bemused

Simon17 - I think you may be being a bit generous. I hope they do look at evolution further - nobody's stopping them. However if there is nothing more to it than they don't understand evolution fully, why make this public statement?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

900 Top Scientists......such as "Renowned" so-and-so.

Perry, you should have gone even further. "THE 900 Top Scientists...." Or would that cross some line of obviousness?

This just in- Criminals often do not understand how judges are elected. Corn farmers don't always understand how cranberries are grown. Auto mechanics don't typically understand why helicopters are able to fly. And some scientists do not understand some other scientific fields.

I will say that it makes me feel better about being fooled by Jehovah's Witnesses that many much more educated people still fall for the old "God Did It" crap.

• Island Man
    Island Man

cofty:

Serious questions Perry.

How many books writen by pro-evolution scientists have you read? Which ones?

Could you explain natural selection in your own words?

What examples of genetic evidence for evolution can you explain? What are ERVs and how do they provide evidence of common ancestry?

How does human chromosome 2 prove that we share a common ancestor with primates?

Please explain about ALU elements and how they can be used to confirm our species' descent.

What do you know about ubiquitous molecules like Cytochrome C? Can you explain how a comparison of amino acid sequences confirms common descent and realtionships betwene species? Now can you do the same by comparing nucleotide sequences?

Can you name some of the major fossils that demonstrate transitions between major animal groups? What fossils show the development of limbs for example?

Where were the fossil sequences found that display the entire transistion from land mammal to whale?

If you could answer the above succinctly in your own words that would demonstrate you are at least qualified to hold an opinion about evolution.

Ha ha ha! Cofty your questions to Perry are reminiscent of Jehovah's questions to Job at Job 38 and 39! There's a lovely irony to it - an "evolutionist" emulating Jehovah's style of questioning ignorant Job, to show a creationist that he is unqualified to discredit evolution given that he is ignorant of much of the critical information on the subject. Was that deliberate, cofty? It certainly is genious!

Don't feel to badly Perry. I was once like you, ignorant, believing that evolution is "just a theory" for which there is no evidence. I believed that because I listened only to what creationist sources had to say on the subject of evolution - particularly Watchtower. It was only when I made the decision to objectively examine what scientific sources say on the subject of evolution that I came to realize how misled and ignorant I was. I came to see the false reasoning and dishonesty in the arguments of creationist sources. There truly is a lot of evidence in support of evolution. Creationist claims to the contrary are simply false. Most if not all creationist arguments are old and long debunked - but you wouldn't know that if you limit your reading to just creationist sources. Here's some wise advice from the bible that you need to apply to the subject of evolution:

"When anyone is replying to a matter before he hears [it], that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation." - Proverbs 18:13, NWT

When creationists criticize evolution before they hear all the important facts and evidence for it from scientific sources, they show themselves up as being ignorant buffoons criticizing something they know little about.

" The first to plead his case seems right, Until another comes and examines him." - Proverbs 18:17, NASB

To religious people who are first exposed only to the creationist side of the argument, the creationists' anti-evolution position seems legit . . . until someone decides to research the subject of evolution from the evolutionists' standpoint. Then he comes to see that the creationists' position is actually fraught with error and deception - quote mining, fallacious arguments and outright lies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit