900 Top Scientists Sign Statement Skeptical of Macro-Evolution

by Perry 128 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

“We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural
    selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the
    evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged.”

This was last publicly updated April, 2014. Scientists listed by doctoral degree or current position.

Philip Skell* Emeritus, Evan Pugh Prof. of Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University Member of the National Academy of Sciences
    Lyle H. Jensen Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Biological Structure & Dept. of Biochemistry University of Washington, Fellow AAAS
    Maciej Giertych Full Professor, Institute of Dendrology Polish Academy of Sciences
    Lev Beloussov Prof. of Embryology, Honorary Prof., Moscow State University Member, Russian Academy of Natural Sciences
    Eugene Buff Ph.D. Genetics Institute of Developmental Biology,
    Russian Academy of Sciences
    Emil Palecek Prof. of Molecular Biology, Masaryk University; Leading Scientist Inst. of Biophysics, Academy of Sci., Czech Republic
    K. Mosto Onuoha Shell Professor of Geology & Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Univ. of Nigeria Fellow, Nigerian Academy of Science
    Ferenc Jeszenszky Former Head of the Center of Research Groups Hungarian Academy of Sciences
    M.M. Ninan Former President Hindustan Academy of Science,
    Bangalore University (India)
    Denis Fesenko Junior Research Fellow, Engelhardt Institute of Molecular Biology Russian Academy of Sciences (Russia)
    Sergey I. Vdovenko Senior Research Assistant, Department of Fine Organic Synthesis Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry and Petrochemistry
    Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences (Ukraine)
    Henry Schaefer Director, Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry University of Georgia
    Paul Ashby Ph.D. Chemistry Harvard University
    Israel Hanukoglu Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Chairman The College of Judea and Samaria (Israel)
    Alan Linton Emeritus Professor of Bacteriology University of Bristol (UK)
    Dean Kenyon Emeritus Professor of Biology San Francisco State University
    David W. Forslund Ph.D. Astrophysics, Princeton University Fellow of American Physical Society
    Robert W. Bass Ph.D. Mathematics (also: Rhodes Scholar; Post-Doc at Princeton) Johns Hopkins University
    John Hey Associate Clinical Prof. (also: Fellow, American Geriatrics Society) Dept. of Family Medicine, ...........

Source

One Example: Renowned Chemist Says Evolutionists Do Not Understand the Origin of Life

HOUSTON – A prominent chemist who was recognized this year as one of the 50 most influential scientists in the world says most scientists do not understand how evolution could explain the existence of life.

Dr. James Tour is a well-known professor at Rice University, specializing in chemistry, nanoengineering, and computer science. Over the last 30 years, Tour has authored over 500 research publications, and he was recognized as one of “The 50 Most Influential Scientists in the World Today” by TheBestSchools.org. Tour has also received awards and recognitions from the American Chemical Society, Thomson Reuters, Honda, NASA, and others.

In a video released in late 2012, Tour explained that he has had extensive experience studying the origin of life.

“I will tell you as a scientist and a synthetic chemist,” Tour said, “if anybody should be able to understand evolution, it is me, because I make molecules for a living, and I don’t just buy a kit, and mix this and mix this, and get that. I mean, ab initio, I make molecules. I understand how hard it is to make molecules.”

Despite his experiences and expertise, Tour admits that he does not understand how evolution could account for life’s existence. Article

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

It is still an unbridgeable stretch to say ... therefore God did it. That is what your are trying to do.

• cofty
    cofty

Tour admits that he does not understand how evolution could account for life’s existence

Then Tour is either dishonest or stupid.

Evolution is not about the origins of life.

Almost everybody on your list is not working in the field of evolutionary biology. Therefore their religiously biased superstitions are not interesting.

Evolution is a fact beyond all sensible dispute. Only somebody who is ignorant of the facts &/or religiously biased would deny it.

Millions of christians accept the fact of evolution and manage to reconcile it with their superstitions. It is only the hyper-fundy christians and muslims who deny it.

• cofty
    cofty

Serious questions Perry.

How many books writen by pro-evolution scientists have you read? Which ones?

Could you explain natural selection in your own words?

What examples of genetic evidence for evolution can you explain? What are ERVs and how do they provide evidence of common ancestry?

How does human chromosome 2 prove that we share a common ancestor with primates?

Please explain about ALU elements and how they can be used to confirm our species' descent.

What do you know about ubiquitous molecules like Cytochrome C? Can you explain how a comparison of amino acid sequences confirms common descent and realtionships betwene species? Now can you do the same by comparing nucleotide sequences?

Can you name some of the major fossils that demonstrate transitions between major animal groups? What fossils show the development of limbs for example?

Where were the fossil sequences found that display the entire transistion from land mammal to whale?

If you could answer the above succinctly in your own words that would demonstrate you are at least qualified to hold an opinion about evolution.

• designs
    designs

Let's see- Perry's world is made up of a Book known for its arcane scientific statements ie short time period of creation, geocentrism etc...

And he doesn't believe the Industrial Age has brought about pollution or affected the planet.

Real nice Perry....

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

What I got from reading scientific material about evolution is: There is no such thing as micro- or macro-evolution. Only people who don't really understand evolution talk about this. (I read a lot about but I can't say I truly understand evolution. There needs a lot more studying to do for me. However many evolutionary biologists don't understand everything as the more they find out even more needs to be researched).

• Onager
    Onager

Yes, as Cofty says, Evolution has nothing to with the origins of Life, it is only concerned with the origin of Species.

Hence the name of that book by that guy...

• Caedes
    Caedes

Perry,

You have been posting here for a long time on this same topic, how can you not understand the basic arguments of the people who disagree with you? Do you not read any of the replies? This stuff has been answered for you many times before.

Do you notice anything about your list, can you not think at all skeptically about what you are presenting as 'evidence'?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

how can you not understand the basic arguments of the people who disagree with you?...can you not think at all skeptically about what you are presenting as 'evidence'?..

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Lately, you are posting articles without any kind of backup or support for their claims. You are coming across like a dishonest person. Do you know what science literacy means?

An overwhelming majority of the scientific community accepts evolution as the dominant scientific theory of biological diversity. Nearly every scientific society, representing hundreds of thousands of scientists, has issued statements rejecting intelligent design and a petition supporting the teaching of evolutionary biology was endorsed by 72 US Nobel Prize winners. And you are making this fuzz because 1,000 are trying to draw attention to themselves?

1. Delgado, Cynthia (2006-07-28). "Finding evolution in medicine" (hmtl). NIH Record 58 (15). Retrieved 2007-10-22.

2. Ruling, Kitzmiller v. Dover page 83

3. Amicus Curiae brief in Edwards v. Aguillard, 85-1513 (United States Supreme Court 1986-08-18). , available at "Edwards v. Aguillard: Amicus Curiae Brief of 72

4. Nobel Laureates". From TalkOrigins Archive. Retrieved 2007-10-19. Noah, Timothy (2000-10-31). "George W. Bush, The Last Relativist". Retrieved 2007-10-23.

Are you trying to convince us, or are you trying to convince yourself?

ismael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit