Biblical Prohecies That Came True?

by Viviane 250 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Read Is. 19:2 Civil war. 9, 10, 15 Economic problems. 11 Foolish leaders. Sums up with what is going on in Egypt and the world.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Specifically, I said. Dates, names, etc.. Civil war is very common and requires no special knowledge.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Viviane, someone just doesn't get it . Allow me to use an analogy to elucidate.

I bet horses and have for many years. Oftentimes I'd dream of a horse winning in the week and it did. Sometimes two of them in a row and it has happened.

Four years ago, on the night before the KD I had a dream about a horse rearing up in a forest of other animals. I didn't know any of the horses running in the Kentucky Derby. When I checked the entries the next morning, a horse named Animal Kingdom stood out. It won the KD.

The next year ,again the night before the derby, I dreamed of a man eating cookies -two or three of them one at a time. Just after this dream I had a second, of a scary looking woman appearing and putting one hand up as if she was done and the other to her lips as if she would say no more. Interestingly the first dream faded into the background of my memory as the second was the more powerful of the two and scarier. Two of the runners in that years KD were I'll Have Another and Done Talking. Needless to say I'll Have Another won and Done Talking is still running.

This is the first time I've related this to anyone. After the event! And a few years later! Would the gentleman, with the furrowed brow, call this prophesy?

Two weeks ago I had another dream about a great horse. California Chrome! This years KD winner. It's running in the Philly Derby sometime this month- next weekend I think.

The dream went like this. It was a big race. As the horse was going into the starting gate, CC stumbled and fell. Examination of its front left leg showed it had a bullet hole just above its hoof. The race was won by a black horse.

Now I am stating this days before the race. If it does occur that the horse is injured or sick ( I don't hope or wish it does) ,will my dream be a prophetic one? What if it happens in , not the race mentioned but the next one; or, one year from now?

The gentleman with the eyebrows that seem to run into each other with consternation or chagrin or both- I have given dates and time and corroboration ( a future historical reference) of this event , if it ever happens. If it does, it will become a prophesy. If the event doesn't occur ( And I hope it never does), this will be -like the GB's hundred years of - failed prophesy!!

What I've claimed ,about the other two, in paragraphs two and three, cannot be corroborated; hence cannot be a prophesy.

• Viviane
    Viviane

HT, having a dream and having something sort of fit later isn't a prophecy, as you accurately said. Even if you HAD told someone, without specifics, it's vague and almost anything could fit. That's why, for real prophecy, specifics are as must.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Read Is. 19:2 Civil war. 9, 10, 15 Economic problems. 11 Foolish leaders. Sums up with what is going on in Egypt and the world.

Vidqun, you seem to be missing the point. Is sums up what was happening in Egypt and the world at the time. And at every point in time, including our time. And it will happening in another 500 years. So it is not a prophecy. If I say that Vidqun will eat food, it is not a prophecy today, and it will not be a prophecy in 10 years, despite you eating food. It is simply stating the obvious.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

No, Jwfacts, I think you're missing the point. I refer you to the following article (repetition for emphasis). In connection with Egypt of Is. 19:1-15, Ringgren of TDOT, vol. VIII, p. 529, had the following to say:

The series of statements in Is. 19:1-15 is more problematical, and its authenticity is generally disputed based on stylistic considerations. A prediction is made for the dissolution of national order, the collapse of economic life, and the confusion of Egypt’s rulers. “A fierce king will rule over them” (v. 4: historical allusion or a prediction for the future?). Isaiah’s usual warning against reliance on Egyptian aid is absent. These assertians are followed by a series of statements introduced by bayyôm hahû’ [an eschatological marker] which are doubtlessly secondary….

As seen, a historical fit for Is. 19 was missing. Such a period in Egyptian history cannot be identified. However, above statements would make perfect sense as a prediction for the future, as of now.

• Viviane
    Viviane

As seen, a historical fit for Is. 19 was missing. Such a period in Egyptian history cannot be identified. However, above statements would make perfect sense as a prediction for the future, as of now.

OK, so all you have is an unfiulfilled prophecy. Since Assyria doesn't even exist as a nation anymore AND the then Caananite language the prophecy claims they will speak is a dead language, it's unlikely to be fullfiled, but hey, free beer tomorrow, right?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

This is where prophetic interpretation comes in. It’s great fun, you should try it:

This is an indication of what would happen during the Messiah’s reign. Even Canaanite nations would be enjoying God’s approval (cf. Is. 19:18 ). There will not be a curse anymore on the inabitants of the land (Zach 14:21b). These would grab at the chance to learn the “pure language, in order for them all to call upon God, in order to serve him shoulder to shoulder” (cf. Zeph. 3:9 ). In the LXX “The City of Tearing Down” is called polis asedek, “City of Righteousness ”. This is a figurative city, in a spiritual sense to be torn down completely, then rebuilt at the behest of the Lord of armies ( Jer. 1:10 ; 2 Cor. 10:4 , 5 ; cf. Amos 9:11 , 12 ).

Some of Israel ’s neigbhours, like Assyria , had been heavily militaristic. Other nations had been more liberal, like Egypt —at one time “the king of the south” in Daniel’s prophecy ( Dan. 11:5 , 8 ). Millions of individuals from the militaristic nations and the more liberal nations would be taking up the way of true worship. Thus, people from all nations would be united. There would be no nationalistic divisions among them. They would love one another, and it would be said that ‘Assyria comes into Egypt and Egypt into Assyria .’ It would be as if there were a highway from one to the other.— 1 Pet. 2:17 . Coming out of the nations—foreshadowed by Egypt and Assyria—individuals would stream to God’s house of worship and invite others to join them ( Is. 2:2-4 ).

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

Vidqun Is that a quote from someone, or your own interpretation of Isa 19:18? If it is a quote can you give a reference? Thanks.

BB

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Bart, it's my own interpretation from information gleaned from Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament. I tried to make sense of Is. 19 within the context of the book of Isaiah and the other prophetic books (cf. Is. 9:6, 7; 11:1-5, 10, etc.).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit