How to Avoid the Faithless Spirit of most here-

by DocHouse 104 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DocHouse
    DocHouse

Whataya expect from a sci-fi writer?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Sure Dochouse!

How about the fact that the god of the bible is one of the most self centered, vicious, murderous, despot in all history?

Or how those "blessed" as his faithful ones, were also murderers (eg King David), tyrants, or plain old sexist, incestuous perverts (eg Job)

That fairy tales about talking snakes, and talking donkeys are accepted as "factual"

That the earth was covered by a flood that a man in a box survived and saved all animals....

Or that god plays with humans by saying that we "have free will" to agree to do what he tells us to do, or be killed....

Or that inmodern times, the very Organization that is supposed to be his "witnesses" cant get basic doctrines correct, and keeps getting "new light" to keep people blindly following them?

Shall I go on?

Now, I do agree that living by some form of moral standard is important in society, and the basic "christian" principles do make most people nicer, but in general, NO, I do not feel that not having a Faith as such is bad....it is in fact just a matter of "cause and effect"

Would anyone else like to chime in here too?

• DocHouse
    DocHouse

I asked for one.

Can't help but to babble?

• jam
    jam

Does it make sense that we have to ask GOD,,"Do you exist",which is the

right religion? There is no need for me to pray to any deity for knowledge.

Would you ask God what is the speed of light, are we the only ones in

the universe. Is it necessary to ak God about every fantastic claim

made by faith healers and con men?

If there is a God who created us then I must assume that He or She

gave us a brain for the purpose of using it to the best of our ablities.

That is, to examine facts to draw conclusion.

The facts don't add up...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hey Dochouse...you raised this topic...

OK, then in all fairness...why dont you just refute ONE of my above babbling points...just one....any one...I dont mind.....

• prologos
    prologos

Faith is not a substitute for thinking, if you care.

• whathappened
    whathappened

DocHouse,

To save a great deal of time, just go to www.thethinkingatheist.com. After reading there you will not be able to defend the Bible or its God any longer.

Just saying...

Besto wishes to you in your journey for the truth.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"Whataya expect from a sci-fi writer?" -

Fair enough. You are absolutely right. Let's see, if I use part of your criteria:

Study the background about the Bible (from non-religious sources) to see where it came from

Discard (or at least set aside) chuyrch claims and dogma.

READ it, looking up archaeological/historical sources about the places and peoples referred to Be honestly critical- meaning not only looking for things that may be false- but also those that may be TRUE.

Using the criteria mentioned above to study the bible, I predict one of the following outcomes:

a) the person will be a deist, with means they might believe in a god, but he/she/it, does not intervene with the functioning of the natural world in any way, allowing it to run according to the laws of nature.

b) atheist with reject the belief in the existence of deities.

c) antitheist, like me, and I really really think that theism and religion are harmful to society and people, and that if theistic beliefs were true, they would be undesirable.

d) people very, very dangerous to themselves and society, and when I say dangerous, I mean westboro baptist church, David Koresh, Jim Jones, Charles Manson.

"6- NEVER let your faith rest on men, church or even orginization- but ONLY on your growing understanding of God...for it WILL take place if you REALLY want to know!" -

Now this one is a contradiction to the prior four. If I use the criteria mention above, their is no way I can use the sixth one.

Take care,

Ismael

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Ironically, those are the steps that are most effective in leading to a lack of faith.

• jam
    jam

What is a Faithless Spirit, From "Bible Tools".

It enslave the heart, it bends the heart to obey its desires,

and in the process, it destroys discretion and undrerstanding.

No constructive wisdom ever after breaking any of God's commands.

Oh really..Supposed I believed that, I would still be a JW today and

that is Scary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit