Satan and the demons, ghosts, spirits, fortune tellers. Are they real?

by KateWild 84 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

I believe in God. I don't believe he punishes or rewards people. So by the same extention I don't believe any spirit beings can communicate with or influence humans.

Many who do not believe in God though, have gone to fortune tellers. They claim they do not believe in God but there is evidence of spirits influencing their lives. I find this hard to grasp. Is there a spirit realm? Do beings of other dimensions comunicate with some humans? If so why isn't there just open lines of communication for all?

Personally I don't think Satan is real, but I am curious about the spirit realm. Have you had experiences? What do you believe?

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

There is no such thing as a "spirit" realm. Nobody has even defined what they mean by spirit. It is simple superstition that belongs to a pre-scientific age.

There are far simpler rational explanations for so-called supernatural experiences.

• KateWild
    KateWild

There are far simpler rational explanations for so-called supernatural experiences.-cofty

Such as?????????????

Kate xx

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

I simply cannot believe that anyone could ask this question with a straight face.

We live in a time of vast scientific knowledge and understanding. We are surrounded by and rely on the most complex and sophisticated technology.

And yet you seriously enquire as to whether demons and spirits are real?

Why not ask if anyone has seen the tooth fairy, or a gnome sitting under a mushroom? What about unicorns and fire breathing dragons? They must real too, surely.

• cofty
    cofty

Such as?????????????

Somebody was lying

Somebody was exaggerating

Somebody was afraid and confused

Emotional stress

Mental illness

Confirmation bias

Coincidence

Post hoc explanations

Attributing agency to everyday events

etc..

By definition supernatural explanations are the least likely.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I simply cannot believe that anyone could ask this question with a straight face.- Tik

Your post screams of intellectual intimidation. I met someone who said they did not believe in God and that he cannot exist due to all the suffering in the world and then he said he had been to a fortune teller and believed that a dead loved one communicated with him.

I do find this hard to grasp, but I just want to know how many out there believe in similar things. I am genuinely curious about what others believe.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

I met someone who said they did not believe in God and that he cannot exist due to all the suffering in the world and then he said he had been to a fortune teller and believed that a dead loved one communicated with him.

It is common for people to only be rational some of the time.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Somebody was lying-cofty

Hahaha!! I see you put lying at the top of your list. I can go along with this. If fortune tellers want to make money they need to use deception at times to get repeat business. It's all about extorting money. Personally I have never paid for someone to tell my future, so I cannot comment impartially. I think I would be wasting my money at this moment in time.

Kate xx

• Mikado
    Mikado

because people who are grieving will desperately grasp on to what the think is offering them hope.

fortune tellers use cold reading. there are demonstrations of just how effective cold reading is on the net. have a look and you will be amazed how easy people are to convince.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I don't believe there are evil spirits. I think people invented them to explain the unknown such as why bad things happen and mental illness. You will find African communities who still believe in and fear bad spirits because they have no education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit