Ferguson Shooting (Is my thinking on this all wrong.......)

by out4good3 229 Replies latest social current

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

darth frosty - I'm not talking about the KKK, neonazi's, etc, but the general average white person who is labeled racist by their actions, thinking, etc, of blacks who are dressed like thugs or the obvious school dropouts. That is absolutely nothing to do with the color of their skin but their individual actions, dress, how they present themselves, etc. With KKK, etc, those who truly hate just because of the color of their skin, they'd even run out bill cosby if they could.

Flipper - agree if the man was running away, leaving, or hands up in the air, then I agree didn't deserve to be executed. But there are also reports he was charging the officer and reaching for his gun. Based on the video of him strong arming the store clerk moments earlier, then that does lead credibility to that statement that maybe this bully did charge the officer.

Also if the officer did have to go to the hospital for facial injuries, that also leads to credibility there was a conflict. At this point, people need to chill until the authorities have a final answer or decision or it goes to court for a jury to decide. I think it was absolutely ethical to release that video since the protestors are insisting he was such a good boy about to start college and was executed yet the officer claims he attacked him, the video should of made people realize there is more to the story and need to wait for all facts, investigations, witnesses to be questioned, etc, until making their judgements.

Unfortunately there is no video of the incident, unlike this one, where this black man ended up dead because of illegal choke hold and ignoring him when he said he couldn't breathe. Then the paramedics didn't do anything. These people deserve punishment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ka4oKu1jo

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Here is the first detailed reporting of the other side of the story I've seen. It just went up, even has video right after the shooting too.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/19/us/ferguson-darren-wilson-support/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When it comes to dressing in suits vs. hip-hop. My mom wanted to be a fashion designer. I started reading teen fashion mags and learned to sew. My sewing was sloppy. My neighborhood was Sopranoland. Once the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan, I tried to copy female versions of how they dressed in their films and video clips. When I ran away to NYC, I saw all the girls my age, wearing the latest garments. The Four Seasons look was my neighbord's uniform. I was always the first to start a new look. My jeans were the envy of boys and girls. Mary Quant patterns were sold. If I grew up in the affluent suburbs, I would fit right in. I did not fit in in Sopranoland. I did not deserve to die b/c I had a different fashion aesthetic.

Hip-hop drives white fashion today. It is the norm. My college profs. wore jeans. They had sideburns and beards. The clothing showed an interest in freedom and creative self-expression not a desire for criminal activities. Now the cops wear jeans. Jeans have nothing to do with music or politics. When I was a teen, I bonded with fellow jeans wearers. You knew their stance on civil rights and Viet Nam. They would be huge Beatles and Dylan fans.

The police are supposed to behave. We don't have to dress for their approval. It is too soon to know what happened.

• prologos
    prologos

if it is too soon to know what happened, it is not also too soon to riot, empty more stores of goodies.?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I agree here, if it is too soon to know what happened, why are people's businesses being destroyed in riots?

Seems there is also a youtube video out now that supports the officers story.

Also, O'Reillys talking points is factual and should be disturbing to those who are unwittingly asleep at the wheel on this subject.

http://www.cnsnews.com/video/national/oreilly-americas-race-problem

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There have always been good policeman as well.

This is true. But unfortunately, it's like lawyers: It's the 99% of lawyers cops that give all the good ones a bad name too.

Doc

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I agree here, if it is too soon to know what happened, why are people's businesses being destroyed in riots?

Because non-violent protesting has resulted in NOTHING -- ZERO RESULTS. Promises are made but nothing changes.

There have been protesters in the part across from the White House for 30 years. Can you think of anything that has changed in the US Gov't?

Typically blacks/African Americans do not riot when some Dropout-Thug/Nigger/Drug-Addict-Pusher is killed. Happens EVERYDAY in Ferguson/St Louis and every other major US city. Their grandma that raised them say it's too bad that so-and-so went bad and got into trouble and that's how it always ends.

This is a 18yo kid who does not appear to be in that class of kids. He actually graduated from a shitty school district (that was recently discredited) and was accepted to college and supposed to start in 2 days. He had potential and one would hope that he was rising above that stereotype that is being painted. Yes, he might have been in the "suit" photo in the near future vs the droopy pants with underwear showing photo. THAT'S WHAT HAS PEOPLE PISSED OFF. He was one that had opportunity. Instead some asshole cop gunned him down in the street.

Doc

• cult classic
    cult classic

redvip2000 and sammielee.

You two know exactly what my point is. There is no reason to jump to name calling before all the facts are out. Not speculation, not media hype, not pseudo-witnesses; FACTS. Vitriol spewed before that says more about the one doing the spewing than the people involved in the incident.

While I don't have a dog in this fight, I know what is fair and just.

Flipper and DOC, darth frosty

The looting and rioting really should be treated as a separate issue created by an opportunistic criminal element.

EOM - Are you saying that one has to dress as if they are going out in field service to avoid raising suspicion???

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No one has heard eye witnesses who take an oath to tell the truth. Cross-examination often elicits facts that may not appear on direct examination. The looting bothers me b/c it happened in my town. First, local merchants work so hard. They are not investment bankers. What company wants to invest in a town where residents loot. My friend's family owned a Chinese restaurant. Normal people were on the street until two or three am. Looting destroyed it. There were no customers after the riots. The business district contracted. Altho it happened many decades ago, the negative consequences continue. Every decent teacher transferred out of the district. We became the loser city.

It is an objective fact that nonviolent protests accomplished a lot. Sometimes I feel people here don't ever read a newspaper or stick their heads out the door. Obama is proof of the success. It was nonviolent protest that led multinational corporations to sponsor events and hire people of color in management. There are so many people of color teaching in academia. Jobs are available in the trades. The list is almost endless.

It isn't only showing up for a nonviolent demonstration. I learned how to lobby politicians through the movement. If some politician gets out of line, they are told that votes will be withheld. The Black Congressional Caucus. Black Wall St. lawyers. African-American investment bankers.

Looting destroys long term. I benefited from the movement in so many ways and I am not black. When I came out of the Witnesses, I had no self-esteem. Education was so important to me but it was very scary. Because of nonviolent protests, students at the local college conducted a class on black literature. I tagged alone. It was my first opportunity to interact with college students. We were most welcome. It was so different from high school. I am white and yet I learned so much. They encouraged us to express ourselves. I never encountered that type of book before in my life.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It was nonviolent protest that led multinational corporations to sponsor events and hire people of color in management. There are so many people of color teaching in academia. Jobs are available in the trades. The list is almost endless.

BAND, I respectfully disagree.

Most businesses, definately any business "in the trades" that worked on government contracts,voluntarily were forced to hire people of color because the government held a velvet sledgehammer over their heads known as quotas goals (aka "minority participation"). Businesses were mandated to have a certain percentage of minority employees if they were to be awarded government construction contracts. Labor Unions were "good old white boy" organizations until they saw "the writing on the wall" and voluntarily were forced to organize training schools that trained minorities for these (relatively) high-paying jobs in the construction trades.

I'm old enough to remember the civil rights protests of the 1960s. The "non-violent" protesters literally burned down the business district in the metropolitan city where I grew up. It has never recovered and is still a gheto area. But it is what FORCED the government to get involved and make changes that have benefited the minority community.

However, this incident in Ferguson would not have happened to a white middle-class or rich kid. But it would not have happened to a middle-class black kid either. There is as much or more discriminiation over social class as there was in the matter of race. Poor people of all colors are preyed upon by law enforcement (it just happens that a higher percentage of minorities are "poor") as they are helpless in the court system because they cannot afford lawyers. A cop that arrests or abuses a poor person does not risk a high-powered attorney filing a civil rights lawsuit against them or their department. The poor citizen just goes to court, pleads guilty (or is found guilty) and pays the fine or ends up spending time in jail.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit