Ferguson Shooting (Is my thinking on this all wrong.......)

by out4good3 229 Replies latest social current

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Are police entitled to use deadly force for a "mouthing off" unarmed kid?

I doubt you have all the facts. I know i don't, but I can tell you that I have a hard time understanding this fairytale scenario that some people have dreamt up to cause such outrage.

So let me see if i get this right. This youngman was simply walking down the street, a cop pulls up, pulls a gun on him, the young man raises his hands and the cop just shoots him? Am i supposed to believe this? I know i don't.

After seeing the video of the convenience store, and the way this bully pushed away a defenseless store owner and walked out with cigarettes, i'm pretty sure things went a slightly different way. I find it reasonable to believe that when the cop pulled up and tried to secure the scene, this thug (YES THUG), became combative and the cop had no choice but to get physical to arrest him. This guy seemed to be pretty big, so if there was a struggle, the cop was probably in serious trouble especially if this THUG was reaching for this gun. The cop at the point of exhaustion, likely drew his gun and took a shot most likely at the same time as this THUG realized that now he should back off.

If this "pillar of society" had not stolen cigarettes or had been humble enough to realize he was caught when the police pulled up, instead of fighting them, he would be alive.

I don't care if what i'm saying is not popular, i'm not racist, but I am civilized and I have little tolerance for people who refuse to abide by the rules of a civilized society. If this THUG was white, he would have been shot just the same, and my opinion would be equal.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"After seeing the video of the convenience store, and the way this bully pushed away a defenseless store owner and walked out with cigarettes, i'm pretty sure things went a slightly different way."

The part of the video that got my attention was not the rough handling, or the alleged theft. What got my attention was when the big guy turned back toward the shop keeper and moved toward him using his size as physical intimidation. That's practiced behavior. It's very threatening. Had I been the shop keeper I have a pretty good idea how the threat would have been resolved then and there, at the precise moment of that act of threatening behavior.

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

I'm wondering what the toxicology tests will show. These guys ("kids") just robbed a convenient store with force and were walking down the middle of the street blocking traffic. I think Michael Bown was high on something. Seems like this kid used his size to bully people to get what he wants. That is what the video showed. It seems there are no credible witnesses. At least the media hasn't reported any that I heard. But based on the video and it happening only minutes before the altercation I would tend to believe the cop in this case.

• out4good3
    out4good3

If this THUG was white, he would have been shot just the same

I find that pretty hard to believe as well.

What got my attention was when the big guy turned back toward the shop keeper and moved toward him using his size as physical intimidation. That's practiced behavior. It's very threatening. Had I been the shop keeper I have a pretty good idea how the threat would have been resolved then and there, at the precise moment of that act of threatening behavior.

That is what got my attention as well. And, I will say without reservation that had I been the shopkeeper, he'd be in pretty much the same state he is in right now.

I get so tired of hearing the use of the "big black and threatening" excuse used in situations where it is clearly unfounded and unwarranted. And then, I see that video and am forced to conclude that had I been that shopkeeper, as a 6' 280# black man myself, I would've stopped the clock on his ass at that moment as well.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

I think this has very little to do with race. Race is a distraction. Also this rioting isn't about one single incident. The people are pissed about a pattern of behavior by the police. The police have open season on the populace. Our rights are constanty being trambled on. Even when police show violent aggression that would put a a normal person in jail, the most that ussually happens is administrative leave. I truely believe if the police treated the poplace with respect and dignity their jobs would be much easier.

All that being said... in this particular shooting the facts are cloudy. Very difficult for us to really know what happened.

• cofty
    cofty

As a Brit I am stunned by the lack of professionalism of some American police.

There is an understanding in the UK that the police need the consent of the people to do their job. Sometimes our armed police make mistakes but it is clearly understood that they can only draw their weapon if there is an immediate threat to life.

Sometimes it seems like it has gone too far the other way in Britain but I would rather that than allow our police to act like bullies.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There are several issues at work here:

- The cops are being increasingly militarized and trained to shoot first and ask questions later

- The thugs are being increasingly militarized by drug families who have created themselves city-states in border towns

- The cops feel they're above the law

- People in ghetto's feel they're above the law (that's regardless of skin color, go to Brussels or Paris and see the same behavior in Moroccan and Islamic ghetto's or other European cities and their East-block ghetto's or heck, the 50's in the US there was what we now know as the mobsters in what were basically Italian ghetto's).

- Authorities feel they're powerless to enforce the laws and secure others' rights within said ghetto's without being called racist (the same happens in Europe btw, kill a Moroccan thug and you're also a racist)

- People in ghetto's feel their rights are being removed by authorities and have a continuous persecution complex

- Enforce and protect the law during these protests as Ferguson PD was initially doing and they're "brutal"

- Don't enforce and protect the law during these protests as MO troopers were doing and they're "standing by" as the place gets looted

- The media are steered towards the looting and the crime by the authorities

- The media are steered towards the heavy handed responses and told that it implies racism by instigators like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton

The truth in the end lies somewhere in the middle. Race probably had something to do with it but not everything, white kids get shot by cops as well (heck, cops have shot a lot of white kids recently that were <10yo). The US has become a police state and there is a huge struggle between the authorities and our freedoms. There are definitely lessons to be learned on both sides but violence on either side is not going to solve it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Anony Mous - "The cops are being increasingly militarized..."

Yup.

Dress up like a hammer all the time and pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

..how many whites/blacks murdered each day in USA?...I don't know...all I do know is that the police and individual officers are under stress and have to deal with dreadful things that we may not be able to comprehend each working day..mistakes are made...tempers flare...as the old Hill St Blues episodes used to start with..'let's be careful out there.'...I just wish that those who stir racist issues/conflict in their rhetoric remember that they can light a fuse which can flare up ....without police etc we'd be living in fear as those in Iraq have been...policing isn't easy..there are good and not so good officers...it's easy to criticise them but I'd hate to live in a society without them.

• Mikado
    Mikado

us cops terrify me...

I don't know the rights and the wrongs, but he was shot six times...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit