Atheism is a Belief System

by seekchristonly 194 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

IF not believing in something is a belief system, then.....

Not believing in Santa Claus is a belief system.

Not believing in ancient aliens is a belief system.

Not believing in elves or fairies is a belief system.

Not believing in Big Foot is a belief system.

You are not allowed to not believe unless you develop a complete belief system. Oh wait. That could lead to dangerous mind-control cults. Too bad. Not believing is only allowed if it is a "belief system."

• caliber
    caliber

OTWO I believe all the listed things above would come under the belief system that "the scientific method" rules

over all things

even unseen things and spiritual things right ?

I think people like cofty believe that everything must pass through the "golden standard"

of the scientific method ... the perceived Bible for all intelligent thinking people

• Viviane
    Viviane

OTWO I believe all the listed things above would come under the belief system that "the scientific method rules" over all things even unseen things and spiritual things right ?

Since when is that a belief system? And since when has anyone ever claimed the scientific method addresses spiritual matters?

I think people like cofty believe that everything must pass through the "golden standard" of the scientific method ... the perceived Bible for all intelligent thinking people

Or, and this may sound crazy, you could just ask Cofty if that's what he thinks. It's risky, but it could work.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Atheism is a Belief System

No its not, the two idealogical concepts are the opposite to each other.

Atheism is more of concept of unbelief and is based on acquired knowledge,

one could hold a assumption of probability from that knowledge..

The known knowledge of what is ancient mythology and how it was derived is also apart

of that acquired knowledge, that defers belief

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

OTWO I believe all the listed things above would come under the belief system that "the scientific method" rules

over all things

even unseen things and spiritual things right ?

So let me get this straight. A Christian or a voo doo tribesman who doesn't believe in Santa Claus or fairies is "under the belief system that 'the scientific method' rules over all things even unseen things and spiritual things."

I just don't see that. I see believers in God or spiritism making an exception for their belief.

• caliber
    caliber

Viviane do you beleive in the scientific method if not what do you find better as a last resort or final conclusion

to matters ?

OtWO Christain may put stock in the scientific method also regarding Santa but it is not the exclusive or final determination

it is based on other spiritually discerned things as well.

The final question is.. where do you put your hopes, trust and faith ?.... that will tell you what your belief system really is grounded on

Viviane are you a grounded person , if so what gives that grounding ? Where does your source of strength and power come from within

or a source without ?

• cofty
    cofty

you could just ask Cofty if that's what he thinks. It's risky, but it could work. - Viv

Wow that would be a bit radical!

it is based on other spiritually discerned things as well. - Caliber

That is a metaphor for pretending to know stuff that you don't.

• caliber
    caliber

Ok Cofty please tell me true or false all things (even spiritual things } must pass through the scientific method to meet your satisfaction

....to be accepted into your mind ?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Viviane do you beleive in the scientific method if not what do you find better as a last resort or final conclusion to matters ?

Believe in it? It's a method for investigating the world and, so far, it works. It's a tool. It's like asking if I believe in hammers. In what way would I believe in it?

Viviane are you a grounded person , if so what gives that grounding ? Where does your source of strength and power come from within or a source without ?

I try to be a good person. What else do I need?

• cofty
    cofty

even spiritual things - Caliber

How do "spiritual things" differ from imaginary things?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit