American Rantings About World Cup Soccer (Football)

by RubaDub 75 Replies latest jw friends

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Watching baseball at the stadium is fun! Nothing quite like eating cold hotdogs with warm beer.

• Simon
    Simon

It's not really a surprise that some Americans still don't appreciate the beautiful game ... but it's changing.

Football (yes, 'soccer' to you because you already used the name up on the game where people use their hands) already attracts more viewers than Ice Hockey (a thugs game) and will soon overtake the other snore-fests that pass as sport in the US.

We understand you have been so conditioned by your corporate overlords that you have come to accept things being sold as "sports" that are really simply short intervals if inaction between advertisements and of course they don't like soccer because it's 45+ mins of gameplay at a time and also kids only need a pair of shoes to play it so no big equipment sales to push (heck, you don't even need the steroids like 'some sports').

American Football? What a joke. The games are the biggest yawn-fests ever and they are only "high scoring" because each goal is 6 or 7 points. So Spain vs Holland would really be a 35 - 7 result to you I guess for you to think it was "high scoring". Same number of goals.

What do people always talk about with the Super Bowl? The adverts and the half-time show!

In fact, THE most talked about and memorable moment of the last 20 years was Janet Jacksons boob which says it all.

Sorry, I gave American Football a chance - we watched it in the UK years ago and it got a certain amount of popularity upto them showing the SuperBowl live and then it died a quick death because it was just b-o-r-i-n-g and went on f-o-r-e-v-e-r with nothing happening.

• Simon
    Simon

Re: players being 'soft' - it really depends on your definition.

Amercan Football players certainly seem capable of being hit in the head a lot and not becoming any dumber as a result. Bravo, we salute you.

When it comes to fitness levels though you will never beat real football players - 90+ minutes with only a single half-time break, no 83 person squad and special teams swapping every 5 yards of play.

• Simon
    Simon

Wow, American Football is way near the bottom of the list:

http://sporteology.com/top-10-popular-sports-world/

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Simon appears out of the shadows to......trash american sports? Lol.

Come on bud, I got you on the advertisements...too many. But there is alot of play in american football. Its a fantastic game. Most people not born around it simply don't understand it, or have never played it.

Hockey is a thugs game? Ok maybe a little. But the Stanley cup this year was fantastically fun to watch. Of course, I am from the LA area soooooo. Also hockey is basically just ice soccer but more interesting.

Basketball is my favorite by a long shot. Skill, athleticism, scores matter, anyone can be a hero on any given night, personality.....basketball I thinkt is fast becomeing the worlds second favorite sport.

Soccer highlights are awesome. Hollands way with the ball yesterday was amazing to see. But this is the world cup. I will watch the basmitton championships of the world just to see the best of the best compete against each other. Its the other 3.8 years I have a hard time watching.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am surprised cricket is still # 2.

But I guess 20/20 is a major sport (and exciting to watch too)

• cofty
    cofty

there is alot of play in american football

Not there isn't. The ball is never in continuous play for more than a few seconds at a time. There is nothing creative going on. Ball gets passed back to the guy who is good at throwing. the fat lads block all the other fat lads on the opposition team. The fast one makes a run that was agreed during the last long stoppage, and the thrower (quarterback?) lobs the ball to the runner. Rinse and repeat after a few adverts.

In football (soccer) 11 players are making up the movements in real time and reacting dynamically to teammates and opponents.

90+ minutes with only a single half-time break,

In the professinal game a midfielder will cover 11 km most of it at a fast run or sprint. I have been coaching youth football for 20 years. The fitness levels at the top level is astonishing, they are real athletes. Beckham could complete the bleep test when he was at his peak.

• Simon
    Simon

American Football does have occassional 'spactacular' moments but they are pretty rare and you have to sit through an aweful lot of watching people in tight pants milling around and patting each other on the arse before you see them. That's why it tanked in the UK - the Sunday programme used to show the highlights of the week and they fit in about 15 mins or less, explained the rules and play etc... There was much anticipation when the Super Bowl was going to be shown live and in full and we were promised an amazing sports spectacle. I can still remember the laughter and bemusement the next day after the shared-experience of mass boredom.

You did invent cheerleaders though and for that we applaud you and commend the sacrifice you make watching the alleged sport to enable them to exist.

Does anyone remember SuperStars in the UK where people from different sports would compete at athletics? It was nearly always a soccer player that won. They are simply fitter.

No parent in their right mind should want their child to play Ice Hockey or American Football (assuming they care about the child's well-being)

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Watching paint dry is as interesting as watching a soccer match.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i always stay up late and watch the superbowl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit