American Rantings About World Cup Soccer (Football)

by RubaDub 75 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Funny...went to a professional baseball game tonight and there was so much downtime that we had an entire conversation about... the World Cup.

• Viviane
    Viviane

It is a game for people who have an attention span of more than 5 minutes.

American football progresses 10 seconds at a time and breaks for TV ads every few minutes.

It's just a succession of set pieces. No creativity.

Once you get it, its not just 22 players rushing around, its a tactical challenge that requires a huge level of technical skill and athleticism.

Seriously, why are adults engaging in the childish sport of favorites. Secondly, why is it that everything said can, in some way, be applied to the other side and everyone arguing pretends they are right?

Enjoy the sports you like. You don't have to put down the ones you don't care for to enjoy yours. It's not a contest to see who is more popular. Best does is no way most popular.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Us stolid English chaps don't do the faking stuff. We're far too anal for that. Now the more expressive Latin countries do tend to act like drama queens when it comes to the beautiful game. But they do that all the time anyway, not just when it involves football.

• DJS
    DJS

It is a beautiful game, and I have watched enough to appreciate what Cofty says about it. His descriptions are accurate. But 1-0???? That's my only beef. I wouldn't watch US football or baseball if one score was the norm or typical. I don't want to watch US college basketball either when the scores are in the 50s for both teams (yeah I'm talking about you Big Ten BB). I have an excellent attention span (well, mostly), but sports is also entertainment.

• cassuk11
    cassuk11

Soccer is the beautiful gamebeing ruined by business. Its more thna just a sport its about communities,frienship and coming together. When you get a flowinggame without all the silliness and pure football is played thenit really is abeautiful thing. On theother hand most of us British cant stand american football stop start stop start and you say theplayers in soccer are soft well look at your own game where all the players have so much padding they might as well wear a suit of armour. European rugby palyers dont wear padding so what does that tell you

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i prefer baseball and american football. i've attended many baseball games and a few american football games and basketball. used to go to the san diego sockers games a lot, preferred the indoor game.

i'll watch england play but nothing else probably the final.

best baseball games were sunday afternoon instead of the meeting

• Laika
    Laika

I watch nfl sometimes, I like the strategy but I wish it would move a bit quicker, in 3 hours you only get about 30 minutes of actual play, and about 1 hours of adverts. If you have the patience for this I don't understand how you could also find football boring.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

best game i ever watched (on TV) was the chargers dolphin playoff game in 1982. I was a chargers fan.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It would be a pleasure to watch the World Cup end on penalty kicks again like it did in 2006.

The poor little fellas just don't have the stamina to play until someone wins like in other sports.

Rub a Dub

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Love it!!! Plenty of eye candy while my husband loves the sport.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit