American Rantings About World Cup Soccer (Football)

by RubaDub 75 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I try ... I really try to watch Football (Soccer) ... it's World Cup Time ... I really do try.

I just don't get it ... I really don't.

Yes, it's a world-wide sport. In most countries it is the number 1 or number 2 sport ... no doubt about it. It's maybe number 5 in the USA for professional sports.

From an American's perspective (I think I speak for many), we just wonder if these guys actually have testicles. Are they smooth like the Ken doll? When someone bumps into you and you fall down in excruciating pain, shouldn't you leave the game? Happens in other sports all the time. In baseball, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf or any other sport I can think of here, if you are in that much pain and agony, you will be assisted off the field, either carried off or on a streatcher. If you are really not hurt, you don't act like a genital-less guy. Come on.

If a soccer player did get hit and it really was a painful shot, act like a man, get up, look the other guy in the eye and smile. Then at the next opportune time, give it back to him twice as hard. He will learn not to screw with you.

Is soccer a game that rewards you for acting like a ... take your pick ... pussy, wuss, fairy?

Rub a Dub

• cofty
    cofty

I am convinced it is the geatest team sport on earth by a long way. I hate the play-acting in the higher levels of the professional game. It is not common in the lower levels of the sport.

If a player can con a ref to give a penalty or send an opponnent off it will probably decide the result. Its more prevelant in countries like Spain, Italy and South America. It's spoiling the game. Refs have the authority to book players for "simulation". I wish they would use it.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Found this on YouTube. I'm not endorsing it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Soccer is fun to play but boring to watch. The field is too long , too wide with too many players. Who wants to watch a 90 minute game that has no scoring?

The fake falls and injuries make me hate soccer even more. If a player fakes an injury, he should leave the game for 10 minutes. That will make players think twice.

The only reason soccer is a world-wide sport is because they don't have American football, baseball or basketball. Most of these countries that are insane about soccer are poor countries where all you need is a ball and two posts. It's cheap to play.

I won't watch one minute of the WORLD CUP. It bores me to death.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If a player can con a ref to give a penalty or send an opponnent off it will probably decide the result. Its more prevelant in countries like Spain, Italy and South America. It's spoiling the game. Refs have the authority to book players for "simulation". I wish they would use it.

cofty ...

I agree it is spoiling the game. All they need to do is look at replays (wow, a high-tech thing for soccer) and if the guy flopped, he is gone and watches the next few games from the sideline. THAT would end a lot of the crap.

Also, they need AT LEAST 4 more referees on the field, 2 on each side and the main referee in the middle. That way, they can confer on each end when there is a questionable call ... (and yea, have a replay official to review those calls if soccer wants to move out of the dark ages).

They currently expect the referee on the field now to have 20 eyes in his head looking from all angles.

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The fake falls and injuries make me hate soccer even more. If a player fakes an injury, he should leave the game for 10 minutes. That will make players think twice.

R & R ...

10 minutes ?????? A flop should give you a red card for the next game. No questions asked. The guys would grow a pair quickly if the rules were different.

Rub a Dub

• cofty
    cofty

The only reason soccer is a world-wide sport is because they don't have American football, baseball or basketball. Most of these countries that are insane about soccer are poor countries where all you need is a ball and two posts. It's cheap to play.

Only an American could be so myopic.

Football played well - like Holland this evening - is poetry in motion. It is the most fluid, dynamic and creative game there is.

Some of the most exciting games I have ever watched have been no-score draws or 1-nil wins. It is a game for people who have an attention span of more than 5 minutes.

• cantleave
    cantleave

they don't have American football, baseball or basketball

Baseball????

Have you ever watched a game of baseball????? I saw a game between the Yankess and the Mets at Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago, it made watching paint dry seem like fun.

• cofty
    cofty

American football progresses 10 seconds at a time and breaks for TV ads every few minutes.

It's just a succession of set pieces. No creativity.

Its designed for people with the attention span of a goldfish.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Maybe coat soccer players in a big suit of armour and have a helmet too. Then they wont be injured so much.

Seriously, what a daft thing to ask about testicles etc when american footballers wear that embarassment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit