American Rantings About World Cup Soccer (Football)

by RubaDub 75 Replies latest jw friends

• prologos
    prologos

they are going to play the MARSAILLEISE soon: lyrics:

"--may the earth drink our enemies blood--" nice.

• simon17
    simon17

It appears too, that hockey players only do sprints, and are relieved every 5 minutes? whereas these Marathon athletes in soccer do half - marathons 10 miles

Not really: hockey shifts are typically 40-100 seconds. And yes, its basically the difference between sprints and marathons. I can tell you that having played some hockey, after a shift your legs are really shot sometimes.

Hockey is far more exciting than soccer due to the speed of the game and the constant chances. However, it will never be as popular as soccer simply for two reasons:

a) Its only a cold-weather game

b) Its super-expensive to play

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well lets not fight, the world cup has taught as a lot. Like how to deal with unruly children like suarez. And we shouldnt be so hard on him, i mean it was only a bite...gee he would be useless as a " ice hockey player"?

• DJS
    DJS

It is a beautiful game, I will acknowledge. The skillsets and athleticism are amazing. But 1-0? The US had 4 goals in 3 games and gave up 4 goals in 3 games (I think that's right). And that's a better average than most of the teams. After 2 games I think about half the teams hadn't scored any goals. And these are the best players in the world. After 85 minutes (of a 90 minute match I think) every match was 0-0 or 1-0 (I'm barely exaggerating). I'm sorry, call me a spoiled American who likes immediate gratification, but I'm not going to follow a sport where offense/scoring is so rare. Otherwise it is an amazing game.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Arguing about which sport is best is an exercise in futility because it is so cultural based but what the hell I will join in. I grew up playing football but it bores me to tears to watch on tv (watching an EPL or La Liga game is something entirely different because of the atmosphere which is amazing) because there is so much build up and so little fulfilment (goals being scored) which I think explains hooliganism (it is an expression of the pent up frustration). My preferred sport is rugby - lots of physcial collisions without the stage acting injuries - but the same level of stamina and athleticism (not so stop and start like American fooball) and a decent amount of scoring and mucher higher levels of respect for the referees. No hooliganism because the violence is all on the field. The problem with rugby is that it is very technical and so not accessible to those who have not been brought up on it and so it is not apparent to those who are unfamilair with it, what is going on and why players are doing what they are doing (football is much easier to understand in this regard). Decision making (that is the exercise of the right option from a large range) in a split second in rugby is important and udnerstanding how that works is one of the things that makes the game interesting.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

DJ.. i get your point, but in football seeing your team win 5- 0 is so boring..now a 0_0 is often a f""""ng good game.

Its not about the goals scored, and its not about the goals missed, its about ...well prehaps we dont care about " what its about" its football..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit