American Rantings About World Cup Soccer (Football)

by RubaDub 75 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

I am a proud American and I love watching the World Cup.

• cofty
    cofty

I think you have to understand football before you can enjoy it.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

By football, you mean soccer, right??

• simon17
    simon17

I've watched a lot of soccer and I don't see how its even close to as interesting as baseball. What soccer has going for it is that is a simple game. Its cheap and easy to play, you can turn it on for the first time and fully understand the game and its rules in about 5 minutes.

Baseball on the other hand is, by comparison, slow and strategic. People keep saying you need an attention span to watch soccer unlike American sports? How in the world is that? Soccer is 100% non-stop action (even though most of it is nowhere near scoring related). Why does that require any attention span. Soccer is easy to watch. Baseball, if you are new to it, is a real drag. The rules and strategy are extremely complicated. I feel like if you haven't grown up watching and playing baseball, you don't have a full appreciation of the perfection of the game and the strategy of it. Football also has a need for analysis and strategy that you simply don't get in soccer.

Soccer is great because it is simple. Everyone can love it and understand it and play it, and therefore the world loves it. The fans are great and the game is extremely fun to play, and it can be exciting to watch. Baseball and football are great because they are fascinating, strategic, and interesting. They are hard games to understand fully, especially baseball which lacks the action of the other sports to placate a new viewer while they learn the intricacies. Both are great in their own way, but I will take football and baseball 100 times out of a 100, without question.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Alan Ball.

......ok Nobby Stiles.... Jackie Charlton.

Average players who live and breath football, thats why we won the W/C in 66.

• prologos
    prologos

you also have to have played or watched these games when you were very young, growing up. That gets it into your blood.

To cultivate an interest later in life is hard.

in Brazil, though, we have a -- REAL-- all-world "World Series"

seriously.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

you also have to have played or watched these games when you were very young, growing up. That gets it into your blood.

prologos ...

Good point. I grew up with baseball as my number 1 sport.

But in my mid-teens I got into Ice Hockey and today prefer to watch Ice Hockey over any other sport.

Penalties, playing short-handed, shots on goal at any time in the game, breakaways, pulling the goal-tender in the last couple minutes of a game, etc, etc, etc.

They say soccer (football) is constantly moving ... yea right ... most of the time moving in slow motion.

Ice Hockey is constantly moving at full speed from end to end. A goal can happen at any time.

And it makes me laugh when Soccer makes such a big deal out of Suarez of Uruguay when he bites the guy on Italy. Ice Hockey is much more self-policing ... if Suarez was playing Ice Hockey, the other guy would have just dropped his gloves and beat the shit of him. Suarez would have taken his front teeth home in a bag. The next time he tried to bite somebody he would only be able to gum the guy.

No additional fines or suspensions would be required.

Rub a Dub

• prologos
    prologos

what puzzles me is, why these players, -- biting, even killing,-- do not spend quality time in jail. If done in the street [or outside of parlament] for that matter, this conduct would prompt 911 calls.

It appears too, that hockey players only do sprints, and are relieved every 5 minutes? whereas these endurance athletes in soccer do half-marathons, 10 miles per game in the heat, no ice like in the rink.

almost non-stop?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It appears too, that hockey players only do sprints, and are relieved every 5 minutes? whereas these Marathon athletes in soccer do half - marathons 10 miles

True. But then, soccer players don't wear pads, and aren't being constantly checked by other players.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It appears too, that hockey players only do sprints, and are relieved every 5 minutes? whereas these endurance athletes in soccer do half-marathons, 10 miles per game in the heat, no ice like in the rink.

prologos ...

Very well put.

Soccer is much more like a marathon and ice hockey like a number of sprints. Of course if hockey had the limitations on substitutions as does soccer, then hockey would be MUCH SLOWER. You simply could never keep skating at full speed. Typically you are on the ice for a couple of minutes and then off for 4 or 5. And even then towards the end of games, you see guys gasping for air.

I'm not sure if they have to hydrate hockey guys between periods like they do in American Football with intervenous liquids but it would not surprise me. During the playoffs when they keep playing additional periods until someone wins, you see guys on the bench really destroyed and gasping for air.

Not sure how they do it.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit