American Rantings About World Cup Soccer (Football)

by RubaDub 75 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Not even close.

Probably a 50% - 60% chance of scoring a touchdown.

And about a 98% chance of scoring at least a field goal.

The vast majority of football games have at least one end zone pass interference per game - often 2 or 3 or more.

Soccer players convert roughly 70-80% of penalty kicks.

The vast majority of soccer matches do not have penalty kicks, and 2 or more in the same match is extraodinarily rare.

A wise man once wrote something about "not understanding the game"....

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

A wise man once wrote something about "not understanding the game"...

sir82 ...

We can agree to disagree.

I guess in American sports we have gone out of our way to NOT have the referees decide the game. We continue to have more and more replay opportunities to get the calls right. Why should a call by a referee decide a game and not the players themselves?

In soccer, they expect one referee and a couple along the sidelines to have eyes out of all sides of their heads. American football has 7 on the FIELD at all times not including the replay officials.

Basketball, on a small court, has 3. Baseball has 4 (during the playoffs, 6).

It's just frustrating for some of us who expect a world class game to see such errors in the officiating. So many tips off of the hands of the goaltender or other teammates that should be corner kicks are missed.

Just saying that the errors balance out is not a good answer.

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The vast majority of soccer matches do not have penalty kicks,

sir82 ...

Penalty kick by Columbia ... 1-0 Columbia.

Rub a Dub

• sir82
    sir82

I agree that soccer should have more eyes on the field, including at least one more "between the lines" referee. I also think the game could be improved by imposing yellow or even red cards for flagrant flops.

I don't see how the result of a single match constitutes a "vast majority"

• cofty
    cofty

the game could be improved by imposing yellow or even red cards for flagrant flops.

"Simulation" or diving is a yellow card offense. It is very hard for a ref to be certain that it was a dive so they tend to refuse the foul but stop short of booking the diver.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

sir82 ...

I am glad we agree on this.

It would be SO much better, IMO, to have 2 additional on-field referees on each end, who basically monitor what is going on around the goal. You have the one referee in the middle who moves back and forth and then the two from each side who are roaming on each end. A total of 5 on the field (plus the offsides guys).

When a questionable call arises, they could just do what they do in Baseball/Basketball/Football and do a quick huddle and made the call based on who had the best angle on the play.

Not making a rocket here. Just that it is really disappointing for many of us who are into the "replay" generation to see so many calls missed.

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't see how the result of a single match constitutes a "vast majority"

sir82

Penalty kick by Ivory Coast ... 1-0 Ivory Coast.

Rub a Dub

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

When someone bumps into you and you fall down in excruciating pain, shouldn't you leave the game? Happens in other sports all the time. In baseball, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf or any other sport I can think of here, if you are in that much pain and agony, you will be assisted off the field, either carried off or on a streatcher.

You are missing the point. In any of these sports you just mentioned, if there was a chance you could eliminate the other player by exagerating how bad you got hurt, you should see the same type of flopping.

Want another sport where you see this? Basketball. Why? Because if you can convince the referree that if the foul was a serious one, you will hurt the other team with technical fouls, flagrant fouls, etc etc.

Another thing that you need to understand is that if a player flops, then realizes the ref will not give a yellow card and just gets up as if it was nothing, he can get a yellow card for trying to deceive the ref. So once you go down, you stay down for a bit to save face.

Despite this , it is still a great sport.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I am amazed at the skill and athleticism. But 1 - 0????

Well poooo. If the interest in the game of any sports is the scoring alone, then why watch any live sports? Simply watch the highlights afterwards.

I've watched great games of soccer which ended in 0 -0. So what? You are still watching great plays, and close chances. There are games where the strategy is to not get scored on, so teams invest a lot on defence - especially during big tournaments.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I just can't watch soccer. I tried. I'll take up knitting instead.

I have more respect for "froo froo" wearing male figure skaters than soccer players, if that's telling you something. At least figure skaters take hard falls and finish their routine with a smile. They don't throw a bad acting, melodramitic hissy fit over nothing to try to convince the ref that the player was right and his opponent wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit