In your memory, what was the nicest day you had out in field service?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

For me, that happy day was in Morro Bay, Calif. It was the Fall, Oct 1958 or 9. Gorgeous weather. The sun was shining and the wind was coming off of the ocean.

At that time, Morro Bay was unassigned territory.

Talesin on another thread was talking about a lovely day she had, going with her Grandfather, talking with a Mr Languages. lol

Do you remember a pleasant day, that has stuck in your memory, too?

LoisLane

• Stealth
    Stealth

When I was 15 and the woman who answered the door was completly nakid. I was just glad it wasn't my turn to talk so I got to take it all in.

Then there was that time I got sick and threw up in an elders new car before getting to the first door. Hey, I hold my parents I was sick and shouldn't go.

• sir82
    sir82

I've been out in service in some drop-dead beautiful settings in a country on another continent. It was basically a long & winding walk punctuated by knocking on the doors of empty houses every now & then.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Never. Didn't enjoy a minute of it. Beautiful day, shitty day, didn't matter.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

There was only one time I can recall and it was seldom worked territory back in 1986. We lived in Texas so we went to the hill country and worked ranches. It was driving territory so you could not walk it. There was a nice little group and that day we did have fun and enjoy setting.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

One of the last times, guy comes to the door after I has placed the what does the bible teach book serveral weeks before. Was surprised that he had read it and said no thanks we have small children and aren't going to stop celebrating holidays. I was thinking this man and his family s going to be denied salvation because of a doctrine by the jw's that's not even scriptural. I was pretty much done after that.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I never liked it.

• talesin
    talesin

LoisLane

The poster "donut hole", has written a really good fiction that is woven around the story of a young JW woman who reminds me a lot of myself - he has a thread with the link. It's free and a good read. His descriptions of field service in the country, in the earlier chapters of the book, remind me of those summer days. You should give it a read, if you haven't already!

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Here's a funny story about a lousy day ....

I was 16, pioneering, and oh,,,,, I hated field service! I was shy, and hated rejection. So, this one beautiful day, I was going door-to-door with one of the kids of the family I boarded with (he was just 17, so we were both hating the ministry, if you can remember the feeing) .... it was in a very ritzy neighbourhood, so the path from the sidewalk to the house was L-O-N-G.

We are walking slowly up the path, doing the pioneer shuffle (hehe), and could see this big sign in the window of the front entrance. It was yellow, and said in large, bold black letters: BEWARE THE DOG!

Oh no! We were both afraid of dogs, but knew we couldn't turn back. The others from the car group would see us. So we slowed down even more ...

Scuffing our feet to make a bit of noise, clearing our throats ... looking around uneasily for signs of a large and fierce canine - all was quiet. Even as we approached the front steps, we could hear no barking from either the yard or inside the house.

We finally, nervously, ascended the steps to the front door, and saw that there was tiny lettering at the bottom of the sign that read:

... he may be little, but he knows Kung Fu!

It was a fold-out from Mad magazine - ah, remember how great that was?

Great relief and laughter ensued! :P

tal

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I definitely had some nice days out in the country. The best days were the ones where you got in a group with friends and you just gabbed all day and occasionally your conversation was interrupted by a brief interaction with a householder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit