In your memory, what was the nicest day you had out in field service?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

wild thing - pleasant memories are good.

Delusional glossing over of what actually happened,

not so good. Mindfulness, being in reality.

For much of our lives, we do not see what was in front of us,

or just beyond, if only we had kept looking

or had someone to guide the way. This is a

community, every one who was a JW that is here,

all of us, were in a trance surviving and making the best of it.

The ones I see now, as I look from the outside

at them functioning in the same closed space of the WT

are creating a little world for themselves, as we did.

But it also occurs to me that most of us could have

been and still can be, so much more as individuals,

not by looking back , but by seeing what we can create now

and in the future in our lives. In the WT its always the 'carrot on the stick'

the future, the time when our "real" life will begin. Its a state of suspended

animation that goes on and on and on and the real life never arrives.

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

Fairly large chunk of my life pioneering, I know I could have used it better. It was often enjoyable, I look back and think what a dope I was, but it has given me a unique perspective I likely would not otherwise have. Mostly doing other thing is what made it fun or interesting. For instance one brother was the joker and would crack jokes the whole time, went home with my cheeks sore after a day with him and his dad did it even more. We called him the fastest pun in the west. While out was first time having to change a tire and lots of learning life experiences like that. Some skills like how to effectively argue ones point of view, keep track of contacts, find common ground and represent a horrible idea in an appealing light, actually pretty good training in sales.

Most not to memorable, I may be unconsciously blocking it out, one time we got chased around the neighborhood by a guy quite high yelling hail Satan, just one experience I have met other perfectly sane Satanists where I say Jehovah is God almighty they laugh and say Satan is way stronger I am like no he’s not and basically run away, lol. I have found out that the majority of people have a very vague idea of what they believe. One time in the tract campaign we gave a guy burning rubbish in a drum a tract and as we leave he crumples it up and tosses it in the fire, horrifying of course then, now I laugh. There was the time my brother decided to find out what it feels like to touch an electric fence. The best time was when trying to convince my return visit that JW’s have the only truth and he responds with “That is what all religions say how would I know being as I was raised in it and that’s all I have ever known.” That finally struck me as realized how right he was.

If I am out that way again I will be sure to thank him. I would consider it helpful to anyone that is as delusional as I was to really have a study, one that forces them to think about why they have the ‘truth.’ What exactly is the truth they think they have and more importantly what makes it so ‘truthy?’

Have a lovely day,

WIT?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Wednesdays. Just before i became a pioneer and through the time I was pioneering. Wednesdays were always our long day working through the evening. The earlier Wednesdays were the best. We had no car and relied on buses and walking and the brothers were very helpful. Afternoons were all studies. We were in a city and a lot of poorer people. There was a great hotdog place we often got lunch and on the walks to studies would stop in the record shops. One study had this large fish tank that you wouldn't think anything lived in. It was so cloudy. Then a large shadow would swim by near the glass and disappear again and the lady was old and would often fall asleep for a while. So we would just wait. It was stifling hot in there as well with no air conditioning. The last study of the afternoon the lady always gave us dinner. The study was with her son. Some afternoons we done street witnessing as well which i surprising quite enjoyed,it was easy In the evening we meet with the brothers and go on return visits which was often fun.

• MightierThanTheSword
    MightierThanTheSword

Much as I hated the ministry, I do have a lot of good memories, mostly because the guys I worked with were pretty cool.

Back when I pioneered (only regular auxilliary but before the hour reductions so I was doing over 70 a month) I spent one sunny week doing ministry with my brother & two mates. We'd do the houses up to our local town, go to Dunkin Donuts, gorge ourselves in the park for a couple of hours, then do the not-homes from the same road back home again. Oh yes, we counted our doughnut time on the report.

Another mate (who is now an elder) had magazine routes in town, so we'd walk up & browse the shops for a couple of hours, do that one door, then come home having counted the whole time. He also had a mag route who called us in & gave us sherry in the winter, that was an easy hour, even though alcohol on the min apparently pisses off the holy spirit.

This mate's brother (now a pioneer elder & stand-in CO) and I used to work together every Wednesday up until a couple of years ago. We'd make the most epic sandwiches, gorge ourselves, watch TV, then go out for about an hour. He was too "good" to count his time... Iwasn't ;-)

Our cong is "blessed" with a lot of rural territory so some of my fondest memories are of wandering quiet sunlit country roads with houses spread so thinly you only find about 5 or 6 in an hour. I remember a girl I liked (now left, she was too pretty to stay a JW) standing in a clearing, in the sunlight, with all of these seeds floating gently past her...

So I guess having people who aren't to strict & "good" make the ministry bearable. It really helped offset the ministry-aversion that was drilled into me by my nutjob father growing up.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm enjoying this thread so much.

• dozy
    dozy

Like most of the posters , I hated the ministry with a passion. I was never really much good at it either , as trying to make conversations with total strangers who didn't want to talk to me has never been my forte.

When I was a young pioneer , me & some of the other youths ( to use the Society's phrase! ) used to have a lot of magazine route calls so probably the best times were just driving around with friends on a nice day , chilling out and occasionally jumping out to do a call. It was nice in the countryside and one of the very few advantages of the ministry is that it does get you to see parts of your local area that you never would get to see otherwise.

• LegionSolo
    LegionSolo

Few years back Working Migrant farm houses, close to lunchtime. all the workers were cooking together in a huge empty area. (We could track em from the pillar of smoke) my pioneer partner and I drove up got out with about 20 Que Enseńa books (bible teach) and started dishing them out like candy!!!

so the Spanish culture being as loving as they are dished us some Delish tacos and Cervezas!!!!

I couldn't go out in service anymore since then without having drink ;)

"I don't always go out in service but when I do, I prefer to get shwasted"

-stay apostates my friends

• LegionSolo
  • Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

The days no one was home

• KateWild
    KateWild

I loved the preaching work. It was all great fun, I truly believed. I went out with lots of different brothers and sisters, in the cong, circuit, district, and even on the other side of the country. I had loads of studies and thankfully they are my close friends now I am out. Sadly one I was involved with got baptised and is stuck in the Borg, I am so glad no one else got baptised.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit