How old were you when you left the Watchtower - SURVEY

by usualusername 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Born in, nearly 60 when I left, Gawd I'm a slow learner !

• Caedes
    Caedes

Born-in, never baptised, never believed, kicked out at 17 because I kept on asking too many awkward questions.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Found in door to door work, baptized at age 28, bad marriage and looking for peace, stayed in 40 years. What a waste. I'm 71 and so happy to be away from that crack the whip religion.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Embarrassed to say I came in at 39 as single mom trying to "save" my kids from the big a, thanks to my fleshly sis. Half of family had been in for 3+ decades.

Finally stopped beating myself up for being miserable (that made me "not" spiritual, right?) and started playing massive hooky at 58 and never went back. Too much had never made sense, and in every cong (there were many in diff states) I saw politics and power-grabbing instead of the Love that was preached. Now working in my "retirement" years with no end in sight as my nest egg went to supporting the family while in the borg. BUT so thankful to wake up every day and not be under the oppressive rulership! Still hoping to get adult child out but that one's pretty entrenched. NOT giving up!

• trebor
    trebor

Born in...So started at '0' and walked away from the Watchtower and was a MS at 32; I was baptized at 15.

Fortunately, I was able to help my wife and in-laws out of the cult; however, sadly lost (practically) my entire side of the family to it (Parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) to say the least of the "friends" who stopped communicating as well.

Tried to let my family know on several occasions that the door is always open to my home. The shunning is up to whether they want to follow the Watchtower's rules and select cherry picking scriptural interpretation(s) or not.

• bigmac
    bigmac

raised in it from childhood--dipped age 14 to keep my dad company and because 6 other dub-brats in the cong were too. mentally on the way out by 21. resigned age 23 over blood issuie--1st child on the way. attended occasional meetings to keep born in wife sweet--but--no door knocking or talks etc. regarded as an un-opposed husband by dub friends. never shunned.

had an affaire with a married sis at 33--wife divorced me as fast as she could. i was labelled apostate--and that was the end of any involvement for me.

my 3 kids started to shun me a few years later--2 still do--1 is d'f and now is close to me. i only got into this xjw thing 4 years ago--when i heard my son had been d/f----ive had a good 33 years of being atheist apostate lol.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

In at 40, found TTATT at 46...too many things don't add up. in the process of fading. Trying to show my wife the lies and contradictions. Hoping she will see the light.

GTTM

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Disfellowshipped at 17 for loving my neighbour.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I'm like Phizzy, started attending at 4 yo and now 67. Started doubting after '75 and serious doubting in '95 and left mentally about 2000. But I was a long time elder and the "spiritual" partriarch in our family. I kept up appearances until 2009. Dumb ,dumb, dumb.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• life is to short
    life is to short

Born in and totally belived it, went to Bethel, pioneered, elders wife, etc found TTATT at age 45. I wish I had known sooner, what a waste of my life.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit