Atlanta Int Convention 2014:The Big Party. Does this look like WT believes Armageddon is coming "soon"?

by AndDontCallMeShirley 173 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

twice shy: See my post back here, though I'm not sure that the video was taken down because it was viewed by this forum.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Pterist on page 4 has a link to the working video.

I was in Atlanta yesterday, traveling from the northern part of Atlanta, Alpheretta which, is North of Dunwoody that I see on the map in the video. I think I drove the part of 285 "suggested" in the video. When driving 285 and it caused me to remember whey Atlantians do not use 285 unless they have to. It has worse traffic than 75 running through Atlanta, and it's confusing with all the "exit only" end lanes. Standstills are frequent. To suggest the convention attendees drive all that way around Atlanta on 285 to the "official" Marta station is absurd when the red line is TWO MILES away!

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/04/28/daily97.html

Also, everybody knows you can get anywhere just by getting on Peachtree ...haha that's an Atlanta joke for those who know Atlanta.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

To suggest the convention attendees drive all that way around Atlanta on 285 to the "official" Marta station is absurd when the red line is TWO MILES away!

Yeah, but it's a "test of obedience to Theocraticâ„¢ direction".

Jehovah will kill anyone at Armageddon who doesn't use the 'assigned' MARTA station- these things are very important to god.

Use logic, practicality, free will and common sense at your own risk....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

AndDontCallMeShirley - "Use logic, practicality, free will and common sense at your own risk..."

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Don't know what all the fuss is. I got to say, after reading all these comments about how "cultish" the video was, I was expecting something really outrageous. In fact, on Saturday I started watching it (Thanks Cedars) with my wife and it was quite good. Sure it was kind "cutesy" with it's 1950's graphics, but it wasn't over-the-top as so many state. Worst of all, it was so non-over-the-top cultish that my wife loved it!

For me, it was a reminder that this is NOT the organization I was raised in. It is trying to rebrand itself. A LOT of money is to be on the internet and exposure is the key. Just wait, I wouldn't doubt that a paypal symbol pops up on the ORG website. Then, they can make money for ad traffic on their site from PayPal as well.

SOP

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I was in Atlanta yesterday and the road that runs along south of the Georgia Dome is closed and the lots on both sides are under construction. Martin Luther King Jr Blvd is closed at the Georgia Dome. I wonder if it will be done in time but it will cause problems with the many conventions because there won't be busses or traffic going through there to drop people off.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Rattigan I didn't go downtown, but 400, which goes to the area shown on the map in the video has construction as well.

This will be intersting....

Centennial park will be tough to get to as well. No wonder they probably got a good deal on the Dome for this year, at this time.

Here is a site that explaiins the road closures. They are building a new dome, just south of the curent dome. So no way will it be done in time for these conventions.

http://www.gwcc.com/about/stadium/Construction.aspx

• Magnum
    Magnum

Separation of Powers: Don't know what all the fuss is. I got to say, after reading all these comments about how "cultish" the video was, I was expecting something really outrageous

All the fuss is about the fact that in the video reference is made to 'having the time of your life'. Secular attractions and parts of "Satan's world" are emphasized. A big deal is made of entertainment. High dollar homes are shown as being JW homes. As the title to this thread asks, does this seem like an org that believes that the end of the world might come in a few months??? Something's wrong.

Think about it. JWs supposedly believe that over 7 billion people are about to be destroyed and that they (JWs) are the only ones entrusted with the warning. Should they be conducting themselves as frivolously and lightheartedly as depicted in the video? Should they be talking about 'having the times of their lives"??? That's what the fuss is about.

Anybody who's been closely associated with the org for several decades would have to, I believe, admit that the org we see today is radically different from what it was a few years ago. It is selling out, commercializing, Mormonizing, trying to become hip and cool. Before, JWs prided themselves on being different, being looked down on, etc. But now it seems they're trying to go with the flow.

Please tell me you see what the fuss is about.

P.S. Also, the "listen, obey, and be blessed" stuff is cultish. I'm sick of hearing it. I listened and obeyed for many years and I was cursed.

• smiddy
    smiddy

"Listen Obey and be Blessed" If that doesnt raise a red flag , regards mind control , manipulation , CULT programming , then I dont know what would .

But I love it . The more absurd they get , the more people will eventually wake up , the more nut cases on the G.B. the better .

smiddy

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I was in Atlanta yesterday and the road that runs along south of the Georgia Dome is closed and the lots on both sides are under construction. Martin Luther King Jr Blvd is closed at the Georgia Dome.

but 400, which goes to the area shown on the map in the video has construction as well.

This will be intersting....Centennial park will be tough to get to as well

Anyone see a pattern here?

Atlanta: torn up with construction

Detroit: on the verge of bankruptcy, high crime, massive internal decay

New Orleans: virtually unchanged after Katrina obliterated it in 2005 ( I was there, I've seen if for myself). Blight, high crime, fiscally stressed, massive internal decay.

WT is gravitating toward chaos because it can get bargain basement deals ($0 cost/big kickbacks to WT- same rates to JWs attending and WT expects full value donations for the convention). Who cares about the conditions JWs have to endure? The risk of getting held up at gunpoint in Detroit? Whatever. As long as WT gets a deal, the details are irrelevant.

2015 schedule for conventions: Fallujah and Baghdad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit