New to The Jehovahs Witness Faith and need some help

by jnjburkett 171 Replies latest jw friends

• jnjburkett
    jnjburkett

Hello there i am new to the faith and have been studying for about a month. I am very excited and hungry for the truth and have not missed a meeting or study since the Memorial. We do about 2 bible studies a week. Everything has come really easy to me as far as the beliefs... except one thing. Non-Military...

I am not looking to be bashed or counseled i am looking for people who are from similar backgrounds. I was raised a military brat my father was in the Marine Corps 22 years. My husband is currently in the National Guard and my brother is currently a Marine. I have always been against the WARS but i have always suported our troops. Now my questions is how has everyone made that happy medium of supporting thier family members who are in the service and loving and supporting Jehovah.

My brother is looking to deploy this year and I can not walk away from him and feel good about but i dont want to damage my growing relationship with Jehovah either.

• cantleave
  • Londo111
    Londo111

Dear sister: This is not the only red flag. Please do your research on this religion before proceeding any further.

www.jwfacts.com

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Please head over to jwfacts.com to read up on the organization that you're considering joining. I've read through most of the site myself and can assure that everything there accurrately and fairly portrays JWs and the organization that they serve. I'm sure others here will help you to find other sources of information, but that one is the best one I've stumbled across lately.

If you tell the person with whom you're studying about your online research, I suspect they will encourage you to immediately cease looking to any source other than themselves or others in the congregation. They will seek to limit the information that you take in, and thus limit the perspective that you are allowed to see. I, on the other hand, encourage you to get all the information you possibly can before aligning yourself with this religious organization.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of the truth!

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" Now my questions is how has everyone made that happy medium of supporting thier family members who are in the service and loving and supporting Jehovah."

My Dad was a Vietnam Vet before becoming a JW. Most of my uncles wer ein various branches of military. There really is no supporting them. As a JW this is not something you can do. No flag waving, no sending support etc... the best thing you can do is go to the website they are listing and read up.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I wish I could say something warm and fuzzy to make you feel better. Truth is you answered your own question. You can't suport the troops or even America if you become one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Peace to you and as said look at jwfacts.com

FS

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

After one month you're assuming many things about "truth" and the Jehovah's Witnesses/Watchtower being the sole posessor of truth or "revealed knowledge." You are also assuming that you are building a relationship with God and that it can only be made possible with this organization as a mediator to God. As the others have pointed out, go to jwfacts.com. Verify eveything there from the Watchtower's own publications and do not give up in thinking for yourself.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I suggest you take a break from the intensive study. Go on a short holiday and have a deep think about the values that are most important to you.

I studied for a short while but after about four visits we mutually agreed to end it. I had too many questions about the way they interpreted and believed the bible.

King David was a military man.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

jnjburkett, good to have you posting here.

Have you ever heard the expression....'Be afraid, be really afraid'?

Well in the world of Jehovah's Witnesses it takes on a whole new meaning.

Many have suggested www.jwfacts.com to you as a good place to do research on the Watchtower Bible and Track Society. I suggest you do the same, in fact recommend to those studying with you that they too go to www.jwfacts.com and take note of their reaction.

Wish you the best!

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Jnjburkett - Congratulations on beginning your journey to the Truth. It's good that you are so hungry for truth.. Jehovah is a god that satisfies the Spiritual Hunger of everyone Psalm 107:9 "For he has satisfied the thirsty And filled the hungry with good things."

You ask, a really good question.. I cannot answer it from personal experience, but I'll try and answer it from the scriptures..

We have in Jesus Christ the perfect example, of how we are to walk, and conduct our selves..

Jesus is the same one that said John 18:36 "36 Jesus answered: “My Kingdom is no part of this world. If my Kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my Kingdom is not from this source.”

and Matthew 26:52 "52 Then Jesus said to him: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take up the sword will perish by the sword."

It is clear by Jesus words & actions that he condemned War Fare, and none of his followers should partake in any sort of Wars or have any Political affiliations...

Jesus also said... Mark 12:31 "The second is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” 32 The scribe said to him: “Teacher, you spoke well, in line with truth, ‘He is One, and there is no other besides him’;

When bible principles seem to contradict themselves.. If you follow the two greatest commandments, all else will fall into place.

In your situation, love should overrule any other principle..

Matthew 6:5-10 "When he entered Ca·per′na·um, an army officer came to him, pleading with him 6 and saying: “Sir, my servant is laid up in the house with paralysis, and he is suffering terribly.” 7 He said to him: “When I get there, I will cure him.” 8 The army officer replied: “Sir, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but just say the word and my servant will be healed.9 For I too am a man under authority, having soldiers under me, and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it.” 10 When Jesus heard that, he was amazed and said to those following him: “I tell you the truth, with no one in Israel have I found so great a faith."

13 Then Jesus said to the army officer: “Go. Just as you have shown faith, so let it come to pass for you.” And the servant was healed in that hour.

Notice here.. Jesus did not say "First resign from your position, as army officer, and then I will help you".. No Jesus read the Army officers heart, and he judged that the Army Officer had.. Great Faith!

What individuals do without proper understanding of Gods Standards cannot be counted against them.. Take as another example, Paul. He was engaging in Spiritual Warfare, Persecuting & Killing Christians.. Despite this, Jesus saw that he had strong Faith, and Jesus corrected his path and blessed him.

You do not need condemn any of your family members, because of their careers in the military.. You can only show love, and serve. God to the best of your Ability. Love destroys all, and they may be moved by your love, to no longer live by the sword as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit