What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

A message from a reader.

I believe this is an important topic, because if we can anwer the question " what is spirit exactly" we can reveal to the world the " answer" that mankind has ponderd throughout the ages. Yes this question captures our essential spirit and the spirit of those that came before us.

So after 27 pages of debate anyone brave enough to kindly bullit point any positive comments.

• cofty
    cofty

• When pressed for an answer it turns out that spirit is just a metaphor for a pre-scientific notion of "an animating force".
    • The word can also be used in lots of other contexts but none of them add up to anything more than a metaphor.
    • None of this is a problem except for the fact that believers are convinced it's more than a metaphor if only they could figure it out.
    • Believers get irritated if you point this out.
  • new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Thanks summed it up nicely Cofty.

So let the thread continue,with these simple rules:-

A No cheating

B Members of the governing body may not contribute, due to their history of published noncence.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Believers get irritated if you point this out-cofty

LOL! a bit of a sweeping generalisation there. A lot of believers don't bother with Athiest vs God threads, especially if they think they are being baited. Personally I don't mind being baited, it's all in good fun cofty

You are correct though, I disagree that my definition of spirit "the animating force within living things" is a metaphor. I disagree that it should be dismissed as being no closer to an answer, it's a very acceptable answer for me. It satisfies my curiosity.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

It cannot be anything more than a metaphor because it has no basis in reality.

There is no elan vital. Life is a process, no magic required.

• KateWild
    KateWild

There is no elan vital. Life is a process, no magic required.-cofty

Your opinion, whilst I respect it, is very clinical. There is passion and enthusiam with understanding the processess of life. This is what spirit is if we understand it even better. Of course it's magic cofty. You have kids, did you not feel the magic the day they born, accmplished things you were proud of?

When you say things are not vital or reqired, it does not mean they don't exist. I am not talking about magic that is fantasy and breaks the laws of physics.

But to be fair we are getting into semantics again. I totally see your perspective and I understand why you draw these conclusions. I also understand that you have regrets about being a born again and you humbly want to protect others from having the same regrets. If I am honest, if it wasn't for you I would have probably joined another high control group trying to search for the "real truth". Thank you for your input on this board.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Of course it's magic cofty. You have kids, did you not feel the magic the day they born, accmplished things you were proud of?

Yes, but again that is a metaphor.

Life is magical - but there is no magic involved. Its all electrons doing their stuff.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

My final pont, but i would like to say that what i have read on this thread during the last 3-4 weeks has been sensational.I also fully realise that some sneaky, unprincipled enterprising publishers could very easily make a great deal of money, if the answer " what is spirit, exactly" ? is finally answered.

So i would like to thank everybody for the contributions, but i am back to negotiating my oil deal, and trying to work out discrepencies in Einsteins theory of Relativity, with special reference to the constant 3x/c.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Yes, but again that is a metaphor.-cofty

I see your point but it's also an English definition of magic too. As opposed to wizardry, soucery and the supernatural.

BRITISH informal wonderful; exciting. "it was a great time, magic"

synonyms: fascinating, captivating, charming, glamorous, magical, enchanting,entrancing, spellbinding, magnetic, irresistible, hypnotic More

Even though we can explain it, it doesn't mean that the spirit is not the animating force in living things. I suppose it all depends on perspective though. I also appreciate that we need to keep grounded and not go all woooo to our own detriment.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

it doesn't mean that the spirit is not the animating force in living things

yes I am certain it does. If this animating force exists where is the evidence for it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit