What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane

Spirit is exactly a word derived etymologicaly from root and very ancient origins to be no more than the air we breath literally.

I've already shown and given you research to show it was much more complicated than that. If you want to push your view over and over, that's fine. It's incorrect and lazy to do so without showing your supporting evidence, but you can, of course, do so.

At the end of the day, though, it's a metaphor.

• Viviane
    Viviane

When you say things are not vital or reqired, it does not mean they don't exist. I am not talking about magic that is fantasy and breaks the laws of physics.

Kate, your answer is like trying to grab a fistfull of jello. Whenever someone tries to pin down exactly what you mean, your answer morphs just enough to not be something. As an answer, that is completely useless on every level. It answers nothing, changes nothing, gives no further understanding. All it does is waste time.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I disagree that it should be dismissed as being no closer to an answer, it's a very acceptable answer for me. It satisfies my curiosity.

And this is why "magic!" or "God did it" is a thought stopping answer and one that creates ignorance. It's a wall beyond which there is no need to look further.

What is spirit comprised of? What are angels, demon, the holy ghost made of?

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's just electrons doing their thing.-cofty

Well kind of, it's more organic chemistry, and biochemistry doing it's thing of self-replicating, although electrons are involved too. Electrons doing their thing is Schridingers wave equation. That's sub-atomic physical chemistry, which leads to particle physics. Electrons move, vibrate and rotate in inanimate objects, I think this is remarkable but not the spirit, just evidence of a creator.

The things that electrons, atoms, molecules do is amazing and wonderful, what goes on in living things the way they are animated is quite something different to electrons doing their thing. The autocatalyst involved in self-replication is specific and uniquque to a particular living thing.

Kate xx

• Viviane
    Viviane

Well kind of, it's more organic chemistry, and biochemistry doing it's thing of self-replicating, although electrons are involved too. Electrons doing their thing is Schridingers wave equation. That's sub-atomic physical chemistry, which leads to particle physics. Electrons move, vibrate and rotate in inanimate objects, I think this is remarkable but not the spirit, just evidence of a creator.

I am honestly surprised that, as a chemist, you don't understand that "electrons doing their thing" underpins why chemistry works. It's exactly why ionic and covalent bonding works.

The things that electrons, atoms, molecules do is amazing and wonderful, what goes on in living things the way they are animated is quite something different to electrons doing their thing.

Different how, exactly? Please be specific. And, unless this is telling us what spirit is comprised of, please start your own thread. I will be happy to join on.

The autocatalyst involved in self-replication is specific and uniquque to a particular living thing.

What does that mean? What autocatalyst? Nuclear fusion is self replicating. Does that make it living? Your answer no more clear than when you started.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate, your answer is like trying to grab a fistfull of jello.-Viv

I am afraid I disagree with you. My answers are comprehensive and backed up by dictonary definitions of magic that many will view easy to understand. As I have explained before the world is not black and white and there are not always concrete answers to our questions, we should try to view things from a different perspective if we are able.

Kate xx

• Viviane
    Viviane

I am afraid I disagree with you. My answers are comprehensive and backed up by dictonary definitions of magic that many will view easy to understand.

As many have pointed out, a dictionary definition is not telling us what it is made of, and neither are you. If your answer is concrete, then what is this life force made of, specifically? Otherwise you haven't done anything except except tell us one thing that we don't know what it is made of is made of another thing that we don't know what it is made of.

It's the opposite of comprehensive or understandable. It simply provides a convenient stopping point to embrace ignorance while feeling good about it.

As I have explained before the world is not black and white and there are not always concrete answers to our questions, we should try to view things from a different perspective if we are able.

In that case, admitting ignorance and seeking an answer would be far preferable to substituting one unknown for another and pretending we learned something.

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's exactly why ionic and covalent bonding works.-Viv

Electrons doing their thing is not a chemical term. Ionic and covalent bonding has nothing to do with Shrodingers wave equation, which in turn has nothing to do with the Soai reaction, which is satisfying evidence to me that spirit is the animating force in living things.

If you disagree that's fine, but you have no scientific basis to counter your opinion that satisfies me.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

In that case, admitting ignorance and seeking an answer would be far preferable to substituting one unknown for another and pretending we learned something. I am honestly surprised that, as a chemist, you don't understand that "electrons doing their thing" underpins why chemistry works. - Viv

I understand things fine and can explain things well. I am confident I know how chemistry works.

• KateWild
    KateWild

What autocatalyst?-Viv

It's from the paper on the Soia reaction. Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit