What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hahahahaha cofty,

We are back to abiogenisis now. Enantiomers and homochiral sterio- isomers in nature, and how they convert into living things. This process is enough evidence for me, but not for you. You think I am gap filling and I believe I have evidence of God.

What is this new paper you mentioned in another thread, I can't find anything.

Kate xx

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Hence my constant 3x/c Kate.

What is spirit exactly ? is a good reasonable question. Nothing to get touchy about, and i am sure many greater minds than ours have debated this question without an answer.

Kate your stubbon but adaptable and i like your posts they have passion and kindness, and lots of words.Yet no words can define Kate Wilde. You are you and thats spirit and for other peoples minds, a metaphor for spirit so it doesnt count for some. ...never mind.

• cofty
    cofty

Enantiomers and homochiral sterio- isomers in nature

I posted you a link to a paper on that a while ago. The mystery is solved.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate your stubbon but adaptable-NHAH

Hahahaha thanks I'll take it as a compliment even though it's a paradox.

Cofty I read a paper a while back, I thought you meant there was another one. I remember they discovered an autocatalyst. Was that the one? How is an autocatalyst a solution to the problem of the mystery of God?

Personally I don't actually believe there is a mystery to be solved. There is just science and facts to absorb

An autocatalyst is evidence of God to me. I don't grasp your perspective, if this is the paper you are talking about. I'll try and find it and read it again and bump the thread if I find it.

Kate xx

• galaxie
    galaxie

Etymologically, the English word spirit has its roots in ancient language the people who spoke these words were not using them metaphorically , but as the meaning intended literally.

Spirit (from latin spiritus/spirare literally breath, of the wind, breathe or blow)was not used when spoken as metaphorical but as the understood definitions.

Similarly the words : pneuma(greek) as in pneumatic, pneumonia .Lil (sumarian)air, breath would be translated as spirit.

Ruakh( aramaic/ hebrew )lliterally breath, air that is breathed also wind, force of wind/air .

Nephesh/neshamah( hebrew) literally breath.

The supernatural meanings of spirit are not the etymological roots, these later interpretations (understandable in less enlightened times)were a hijacking of the literal meanings to suit supernatural belief systems. Eg..the writer (whoever )of genesis chooses to describe god giving adam air( ruakh) in his nostrils to give him life. God the giver is supernatural , adam the receiver is myth the air however (ruakh) is literal chosen (hijacked) later to be seen also as ' supernatural '.as alluded to by the opinion of the dutch site Positief-atheism,...that "the original words acquired mystical status by believers".

Also in Edward R Bevans book 'symbolism and belief' that the view stated by Siebeck and also Cremer in his lexicon of biblical greek, states that the word pneuma(spirit in English)did not get a spiritual(supernatural) connotation till it was adopted by jews to translate the Aramaic/hebrew ruakh.

The fact that ancients believed in supernatural superstition in whatever form as mentioned previously in the topic ie Pythia greek mythology, Etemuu ghost stories , Anaximenes ancient philosopher who saw the correlation of spirit and air , but chose to believe it had ' devine attributes, does not detract from the root meaning of spirit and corresponding words in other languages and etymology of those being that it was literally : air we breathe, wind , force of wind, breath, blow also ' of the wind '.

These words therefore not always metaphorical (although certainly can be used as such) but used and spoken by ancients in their literal meaning/context.

Therefore I would conclude that spirit is exactly a word which can be defined as supernatural form(total non...sense imo)

Spirit is also exactly a word which is descriptive of human traits, behavior, attitudes etc, but can also be applied to animals eg a 'spirited horse' meaning excited, agitated.

Spirit is exactly a word derived etymologicaly from root and very ancient origins to be no more than the air we breath literally.

Best wishes

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

And best wishes to you Galaxie.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I couldn't find the thread, but I remember it was the Soai Reaction.

I've read it again, the paper states................

These self-replicating systems include many biological processes such as
    the replication of DNA and the synthesis of proteins.

For me a self-replicating system is evidence of the spirit of life, the animating force. That's my perspective of what spirit is in more detail at a chemical level.

http://www.chemistry.illinois.edu/research/organic/seminar_extracts/2003_2004/Todd.pdf

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

For me a self-replicating system is evidence of the spirit of life, the animating force.

It's just electrons doing their thing. You are a chemist.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Not putting you down, just being honest here: you completely failed at grasping why I made the comment about deja vu.

I know you aren't. You're trying. You're just not suceeding.

You come across as being prissy. It's not going to help you to be taken seriously by people who see through your approach.

Keep on failing at trying to put me down. It's your time you're wasting.

• Viviane
    Viviane

In For Space (the book you dismissed as off topic) the author argues for spiritedness (she calls it livliness) in human geography and this agrees with posters here who speak of spirit as animation, power, force etc to talk about what they experience in their lives.

At best, then, it's a metaphor. One that makes no sense, albeit, but a metaphor.

Still no closer to an answer. Does anyone know what spirit is comprised of? Angels, demons, the holy ghost?

I notice that you are often dismissive when you seem to want to stifle a new direction (a new direction which is still on topic btw) that posters like me and others want to take with your topic.

You are correct. I would like the original question answered. If you want to go in another direction, please feel free to start your own thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit