What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Coma,

Does there have to be only one true answer? I am speculating about what it is made up of because I believe it is the animating force within living things, so it could be oxygen in animals and CO2 in plants, but is it those chemicals that actually animate living things? I am not sure it is. As when these chemicals, oxygen and carbon dioxide are in a controlled environment in the lab, they are not animated living things.

So can we really say spirit is made up of nothing?

I certainly believe in an animating force in living things.

Kate xx

• Comatose
    Comatose

But thats not spirit... It is oxygen or carbon dioxide... Right?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Coma,

The thing is though, do the gases actually animate the living things or is it a combination of chemical reactions? Science knows how it works, but cannot make dead things living again. We know how living things work and how they are alive, can we say spirit is made up of oxygen and CO2?

I have to ponder, I might be a while coma, as it is a puzzling one, I might even die before I decide. But I know I believe the animating force in living things is the spirit. I believe that.

Kate xx

• Comatose
    Comatose

But, god isn't made of Oxygen. Think of spirit pertaining to the spirit world.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

woo is me.......

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

So then admit it comatose. There is no proof spirit exists. its a guess. Thats what belief is, isnt it?

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Like spirit you claim God exists without proof. Right again. If i believed fairies were real because of the history or mythokogy behind their existence....it has just as much credibility does it not? If not, why?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Comatose's answer is that spirit is everything or nothing, Kate's new answer is that it is oxygen and carbon.

Neither answer gets us any closer to figuring out what angels, demons, gods or life-force is made of.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

One of the biggest aspects of my mental awakening has been my realisation that as the capabilities of science has increased so the need for essentially "woo" explainations for things not understood has decreased.

The inability of science to currently reanimate dead things does not mean there has to be a supernatural force at work keeping things alive. It simply means that science cannot monitor and control the sub-atomic bio-chemical processes that are taking place. I am sure that at some point these processes shall be measurable.

There are many things that are beyond the ability of scientists to measure or observe at the current time. What they are able to do however, is predict what the nature of these things may be. There will be things that they know nothing about right now and cannot even predict the existence of but, as science advances, so too will the realisation that these aspects of the universe exist.

My personal opinion is that the "spirit" world does not exist so there is little sense trying to define what the nature of a spirit being is.

For the sake of argument, however, I am sure that if there were such a thing then it's nature could be, at some point in time, measured and observed. At the very least, it's nature could be predicted and explained using mathematics, physics, chemisty and biology.

Any other conclusion is simply a variation on the "it wos God wot dun it" theme.

• Comatose
    Comatose

*spoiler alert - in case you didn't remember or do not understand what I'm doing, I'm an atheist. I enjoy playing devils advocate because by trying to answer these types of questions you in reality show the truth of the matter. There is no scientific or logical answer.

Back on point with the believer hat on again.

Viv and Jon - you can't know what spirit is made of, because it isn't made of anything we could understand or comprehend as humans. All we know and everything in the universe is made of actual matter or elements or chemicals or gases etc. God is spirit and existed before he made those things I just mentioned. So god can't be Oxygen or CO2. He MADE those. God can't be a spark or electricity, because those only exist AFTER god made the things that cause them. So god can't be made of anything that he would have had to create. He is just there. Made of whatever he is and it's nothing we could know or understand. BECAUSE it can't be anything he created, which is all we know and see. Spirit is the same I guess. God is a spirit. So angels would be spirits. If humans had a spirit then its the same stuff.

*back to normal me..

The truth is, there is no rational or scientific answer. There can't be. You must believe in a god who was always there to understand that a spirit is not made of any knowable or measurable substance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit