What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prologos
    prologos

S&R you said:--"--why are you adding magic, mistery woo?.....seriously? It works without it! "

if it does not work, gets programmed, started IN THE LAB without a CREATOR [your words], the humble C Venter,

what makes you think it could, even in the remotest sense, do so in the BIG ROOM. Nature.

seriously?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Medical terms come and go. But it's always interesting to see where things come from. I am interested in linguistics and the origin of words. If a child asks me where a word comes from, yes, I'll start from the Dictionary definition and work from there. I am afraid "spirit" is here to stay, even if it just refers to the one that you buy in bottles. As Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull sang: "The Christmas spirit is not what you drink."

Snare, seems like you haven't done much in psychology/psychiatry? Like John Chirban, Ph.D, Th.D., a clinical instructor in psychology at Harvard Medical School, said in one of his articles: "Leaving Space for the Spirit in Clinical Treatment." You, as Medical Practitioner should also take it to heart. Treating the whole patient, acknowledging their beliefs and spiritual well-being, would contribute to the healing process. By the way, "take it to heart," what does that mean? One should say, take it to brain.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Of course I have vid, but make silly comments if you wish, we of course treat patients holistically.

But we were discussing nomenclature and definitions, with regard to animation and life. Now you have simply sought out a further use of the word spirit, spiritual as in belief system and it's place in medicine.

Not what we were discussing at all.

Prologos: because we can work the machinery back to a very simple state. Also we are on the path to explaining the gap between atoms coming from stars and molecules forming in space and that very simple state. It isn't that unbelievable at all. Rule it out if you wish, I see no evidence or reason to.

As for a god, rule it in as you wish, I see no evidence or reason to.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

You're the one that said you haven't encountered "spirit" in you Medical Career, and I responded to your assertion. By the way, we are discussing the word "spirit" and what it means (exactly)?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

< honest

• KateWild
    KateWild

You should know ATP kate, shame on you.-Snare

oops! my bad I didn't see Vidquns post. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I think it's one a lot of ex-JWs are still to experience. Many more resist the fact because it threatens the possibility of an afterlife.- Cofty

Good point I can see why some would cling to that belief, but that's not me. I am undecided in my beliefs in the afterlife, but I lean towards the fact that once we're dead that's it. I am satisfied with my answer to the OP, but I am interested in seeing why others disagree, it may change my mind.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

By the way Kate, your judgement of Kate as damaged or attention seeking is out of order.-Cofty

I am assuming you meant Viv. Your opinion of me is really important, and I am being really genuine here in trying to understand why this was out of order. I know sometimes because of my ASD I say things that are socially unacceptable, I don't intend to say things that are out of order they just seem logical to me.

Can you please explain to me why it was so out of order in your opinion, I really want to treat people with respect and consideration I was only trying to show her that I understand where she is coming from. Explain to me a better way I could have put it.

This is much more important to me than defining the word spirit. I want to communicate better, and would appreciate your help.

I am assuming this is the comment you are reffering to

This thread is clearly not genuine as she was already satisfied there is no spirit, but I see it as a cry for help. Viv needs attention and she is getting what she needs right now from other atheists, that is a good thing for the time being, but she is damaged and needs to move forward. - Kate

I have read it repeatedly and would really like your feedback how I could improve my skills to communicate my genuine care for her, without being out of order. I didn't say she was seeking attention I said she needs it. We all need attention and human contact especially if we have been isolated through Dfing like me. I need attention and I freely admit it, as far as saying she is damaged all exJWs are damaged, even you Cofty, we all have scars. I thought it would be socially acceptable to apply it to her, as I only want to help

Kate xx

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Kate, Viv is a real smart, real nice person. Her downfall is that she doesn't get personal or smartarsey (like me) so her posts read as succinct short replies and people assume a sarcastic, patronising tone when reading her harmless, short comments. It is quite bizzare to watch, she will simply ask the obvious and be called names....by adults ....parents of children.... for simply stating the obvious.

I have seen the theists bully the hell out of her, unlike anyone I have seen bullied here. She is a tough woman and has said nothing and done nothing but continued to give succinct, accurate replies.

You did make a comment I didn't like, a.ong the lines of how she was still very Watchtower, in her approach. This is the ultimate offensive comment here, for obvious reasons. I truly don't think it was warranted. Come on Kate, you are a good lass too, no need for all of this,

I assure you, I could learn so much from Viv, she is SUPER smart, give her a break and look up what she writes. She is 100% not a bullshitter.

Snare

• KateWild
    KateWild

Viv is a real smart, real nice person. Her downfall is that she doesn't get personal - Snare

I do see your point Snare, but how can we know if someone is nice if they're not personal? As a womaan with ASD, it's a really hard concept for me to grasp. I am thinking in concrete terms now, I am unable to see behind her exterior to the nice person that is impersonal. I just see her as an atheist, I can't see anything nice, I can see knowledge too, but I just cannot grasp the nice although I want to get to know her better, I came here to make electronic friends. I did not intend to offend her by anything I said, I simply see traits in her that remind me of WT when she communicates with me. I am trying to find common ground with her.

She is very intelligent, but she's not right in everything she says. She believes I am dishonest and there is nothing that I can do about that, and I believe she is dishonest, but I am willing to over look it. I am holding out the olive branch to her when I ask about her story, that is what makes me feel she is not genuine, because she is not as open as me. But I may be wrong.

No atheist on this site has ever treated me as she has, she uses intellectual intimidation on me and others, it gives atheists a bad name. She uses her intelligence against others, but I am intelligent too and she intimidates me sometimes, so I may get a little aspergic with her I suppose.

I assure you, I could learn so much from Viv, she is SUPER smart, give her a break and look up what she writes. She is 100% not a bullshitter.- Snare

I have read almost all her posts. She may have her facts straight, and you're probably right that I can learn something from her, but her methods of imparting information are not pallatable so it is more of a challenge to see the facts. You and Cofty understand my position and know exactly where I am in my derprogramming, you have both helped me a lot through my journey. Thank you.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit