What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane

Well i think you have lost both the" WE" and the" SPIRIT" a good healthy thread needs.

Do you know what spirit is comprised of? If not, we are still no closer to an answer.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

L.O.L.: No i guess we arn't.

Goodnight.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the summary Viv. The best discussions need occasional summaries to keep them on track.

I would just like to comment on this one ...

It's the lifeforce or spark of life (no explanation of what that is or how that works)

FHN and Kate have both offered this one. I think it is a very common opinion that there is some sort of force that animates living things. It is also a JW doctrine.

There is no such force. Life is a process that is going on every second in hundreds of mitochondria in 3 billion cells in your body. The energy produced by these chemical processes fuel other, higher-level, processes like consciousness.

When those processes become impossible because of physical or chemical changes in a body, the process we call life grinds to a halt.

Living bodies could be called anti-entropy machines. When respiration ceases, the inevitable laws of thermodynanics finally take over and entropy ensues.

THERE IS NO GHOST IN THE MACHINE - NO ELAN VITAL.

"Spirit" is simply a pre-scientific, non-explanation of these things.

S&R - Hi at last!

Ruby - Back to the Watchtower eh? All the best.

• cofty
    cofty

I just checked and my "3 billions cells in your body" is wrong by at least 4 orders of magnitude.

I turns out there is no accurate answer to the question but 34 trillion is in the correct ball park... We have come a long way since LUCA.

So has anybody got the slightest clue what spirit is?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We? It's a team now?

Is your "We" a team? Lol.

• Viviane
    Viviane

FHN, let me know if you ever have anything of value or relevance to contribute.

And yes, it's my thread. Everyone posting here is the "we" I refer to. I can confidentally say that since, if anyone here had the slightest clue what spirit of any type mentioned was conmprised of, they would have said so. So far, we have no clue.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Everyone posting here is the "we" I refer to

When you say "we", you wouldn't be talking about those of us posting here, that do not agree with you.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I told you exactly who I was talking about. Read it again if you don't understand and let me know which specific portions you are struggling with.

We still have no idea what any type of spirit is. You are included in that. If you did, you would have said so. Instead you have chosen to focus on making ignorant assertions about me. Let me know when or if you have anything of value to contribute.

• cofty
    cofty

If not, we are still no closer to an answer. - Viv

In the context "we" would mean everybody.

There is no club of unbelievers.

Anyway FHN back to the topic - you made a long comment about life-force to which I responded above.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If not, we are still no closer to an answer. - Viv

In the context "we" would mean everybody.

Except that Vivane can't speak for everybody. If she claims to, then she is lying. We don't all agree that we are no closer to answer, though it's obvious that Viviane is no closer and possibly will never be closer to an answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit