A serving elder's take on the new "tithing" arrangement

by TTATTelder 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

What if a cong. is doing badly? Will they close the KH and let the members travel to a more profitable KH. They can easily sell your KH, to some speculants who would like a large and well placed building, and thus make it even more profitable. They hava already got it for free from you and all your friends, who vouluntarely have contributed with both labor and money.

Bugbear

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Bugbear - "What if a cong. is doing badly? Will they close the KH...?"

That is what most franchises do when a specific outlet is no longer able to maintain its profit margin.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

The slips of paper get passed out tonight !!!

I will post updates on this thread.

• Stirred
    Stirred

Prepping for this meeting this week....thinking about what I'll put down....0, $1, a scripture (2 cor 9:7, Matt 6:1-4). Of course we are to help others and contribute to Jah in various ways with our caluable things - Prov 3:9-10. I just dont eant to be made to commit to a number.

I found a quote by Tertuian on WT CD: "Every man once a month brings some modest coin - or whenever he wishes, and only if he does wish, and if he can; for nobody is compelled; it is a voluntary offering." - 2 Cor 9:7

i do NOT want to bring attention to myself, but I feel i must make a comment on this during Bible review, Ex. 25:1-2. See also JV book, chp 21

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Yeah I hear ya -Stirred- about making a comment during the bible highlights.

You might could even say that it reminds you of the point Paul made at 2 cor 9:7 where he said

"Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Good times....Not.

-TE

• Stirred
    Stirred

Ths is suposed to be done in secret too....Matt 6:4 "....."when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing..." If we are called out even on paper to make it known what we will resolve to give now and in the future (uncertain) we are being led to potentially sin whereby our yes should be yes....but might not be.

i refuse to put myself in that position. I guess this could call me out.

I am not going to my meeting but will attend other congregation TONIGHT with my study. Oh no. When i come back to my hall, will the elders corner me with the paper.....and it will be easy of course to figure out whatbim doing theN.

I will have to refuse on grounds of obey God rather than man... and Matt 6:1-4, 2 Cor 9:7

i cannot believe how nervous i am.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Stirred....Well the paper slip thing is supposed to be anonymous so even if they give you the paper, just tell them you will pray about it.

Then drop it in the contribution box or time box or whatever at a later date...(don't know what the official instructions will be at your hall).

Whatever you do...don't give it to an elder personally - even if that is the instructions.

If you are instructed to give it to your group overseer or whatever then that will make it a bit more complicated. You will have to get a couple other people to go along with you and drop it in the box so you are not the only one.

Just some thoughts. Sad what they are doing to people.

-TE

• Stirred
    Stirred

After reading your post I feel i MUST go to my meeting (part) if only to drown my paper among many others. But i honestly don't think I can turn it in even if asked. IT IS WRONG!

We should be given time to pray, consult spouses not in attendance, review our budget, etc.

This is emotional blackmail.

This seems to be encouraging unsound planning. We are to count the cost and cannot do that in a few minutes. CRAZY. Guess I must wait and see.

If/when my study asks why all of a sudden you guys are now asking for specific donation on monthly basis? Uhhhhhh. New light. Uhhhhh spirit direction to remind us to donate?

I have donated. I do appreciate some of the literature and reaources.

definitely must pray about it but then, based on scriptures prevously cited, i dont think my conscience will allow myself to turn in a paper......oh no. What is happening to me? I sound so rebellious. And obviously am cause im here, not going d2d for 4 months (cannot take on anymore BS) can't understand nor accept explantion of generation new light....ETC. UGHHHHHHH

I acknowledge i am a mess.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Stirred... It will be ok. They probably will not make people turn them in that night.

Even still, its guilt-tripped obligatory bull crap. I do agree with you that you should go for the part. I think on some level we need to see it happen with our own eyes.

Just let it come to you and handle it as it comes. Many of us are waking up to this madness at the same time. Me included.

At least we have a place to vent. Thank you Simon.

Let us know how it goes for you and I will post updates too. Good luck.

-TE

• SyntaxError1974
    SyntaxError1974

I am imagining a talk on the donation arrangement. TheN sometime during the talk the slips of paper passed out with instructions on what to do with them. I figure we will be told to put them in the time or contribution box.

if only a few slips get turned in, I am picturing a few reminders in the following 2 weeks. if I remember correctly, the elders have 3-4 weeks to submit the total to the branch.

I am still "in", and regularly donate $50-$100 per month. BUT will not be turning a slip in. Partially due to principle. I am not trying to be rebellious. I am very generous and have bought many things for the hall with my own money.

i will simply take the slip home and throw it away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit