A serving elder's take on the new "tithing" arrangement

by TTATTelder 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Was there any punishment for jews who did not pay the tithe?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Leviticus 5:7

7 'But if he cannot afford a lamb, then he shall bring to the LORD his guilt offering for that in which he has sinned, two turtledoves or two young pigeons, one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering.

Now, this isn't the tithe, but a sin offering. But I like that the principle is there. There is always accommodation for special circumstances.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

A family member who is a full time pioneer has already decided how much to donate monthly. The amount on his family slip will be 0. This is what he said to me.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Watchtower you are getting 0, zero, zip, zilch, zot, nada, nil $$$$$ from me too!!!!!

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

It sounds like some congregations asked for the total amount a person could reasonably afford to donate to the local box each month.

Then from there the elder body will decide on an amount to commit to for the kh construction/remodel fund.

That sounded more reasonable to me and after looking at the letter again, it may be what the branch meant to begin with.

With that said, the most disturbing part of the letter may be the encouragement of any cong's with surplus funds or funds set aside for major projects to send the money to the branch as they will now be financing these projects.

People are funny when it comes to money.

Sister "got-an-inheritance" that gave $100,000 to her personal hall for a major renovation may not take kindly to it being shipped off to New York and joining the collective coffers.

Just sayin'

-TE

• losingit
    losingit

CCould you ask for past donations back, especially if ypu kept track, if the extra funds are going to end up not at your local hall but at WT HQ? I wonder...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hey "Losingit", If you did that you would immediatley be looked at as a 'questionable' person...an 'apostate' in the making....

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

2nd request:

Can someone post a copy, scan or sketch of the WT survey that is being passed out to heads-of-households?

I can't seem to get my hands on one this time around.

I understand some congregations have a formal prepared questionaire that they are passing out while others are less official and passing out pieces of paper with three empty spaces, such as: 1) $_______ 2)$________ and 3)$_______. Others are passing out blank sheets of paper.

Where have I heard about how united this organization is? Yah, I can see how this is going to be really profitable for WT (LOL)! Instead of a cash-cow the Society may turn into a dry-bull or a stuck pig!

I was talking to some friends from various congregations about this new 'tithing' arrangement and it sounds like many JWs have mixed feelings with alot of unanswered questions.

One brother said to me: 'The nerve of the Society to make everyone commit to a monthly dollar amount'.....OUCH!

• inbetween
    inbetween

an elder used the local needs to read and sicuss this letter, the result was, eveyone was confused, even none of the elders understood really the letter,

the whole thing became just nonsense.

Should the brothers write down what they will donate per month all together? or only the money for the construction? Or should they write down what amount should be taken from a) the kingdom hall income or b) matth 24:14 box ?

nobody really knew at the end, was kind of funny...

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

In our hall a small (1 x 2 inch) slip with the printed words "My monthly donation _________" was passed to each publisher (not each family head). The elders said they would review the totals and then decide on an amount for the KH building fund based ton the total pledged versus known bills.

No time for questions was alotted and no resolution was passed. The brothers passed the slips out during the local needs part (10 minutes) and collected them towards the end of the same part. When someone was ready to turn in their slip they simply raised their slip and the brother collecting them held out a box to drop them in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit