A serving elder's take on the new "tithing" arrangement

by TTATTelder 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Wow, Bobcat, that was cold. Reminds me of a bank robbery scene in the old movies where they'd make everyone sit on the floor and one or two guys would walk around with guns while the other guy collected all their money and jewelry.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Inbetween,

That confusion sounds just like how it felt at our meeting.

Bobcat,

I honestly can't believe those brothers handled it that way. That is absolutely wrong to expect people to come up with a number on the spot.

Not only is it completely a guilt trip along with social pressure, good luck getting numbers the brothers could actually use. Nobody wants to be seen writing a small number. The real contributions will be 1/4 of that total no doubt.

-TE

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Was a disaster here

The elder handling the part read the letter then waffled on for the rest of

his allotted time and no one knew what the hell was going on.

He kept stressing how we should be generous but not under compulsion

and we would get more info in the future. Body language of the rest of the

"elders" was conspicuous. No confidential survey. no nuttin.

A total schamozzle. A mate is gonna send me a pic of the survey they got

and I will try and post it as soon as I get it, he said it was about direct debit stuff.

jtg

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

As an aside,,, in my neck of the woods the pubs are going like

"I thought we didn't do that tithing / promising stuff!!!!"

"especially not for the long haul, carpets, repairs, that's ok".

jtg

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

JTG,

Direct Debit??!!!!!???!!!

Can't wait to see that survey! Thanks for the report too. It's hilarious how this is playing out everywhere.

-TE

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

TTATT elder... They asked how much each could reasonably afford each month? What about those of us who could reasonably afford to carry the whole hall every month? What if it were taken the wrong way?

The elder giving the local needs last night was very sheepish, red faced. Eventually he just said he would step off the stage before he was asked more questions he couldn't answer.

Immediately after the meeting was over I tossed the slip in the garbage by the door. Left it right on top, in plain view.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

The governing body seem to think as a Baptised Jehovers Witnesss, OUR money is THERE money.

• tornapart
    tornapart

In our congregation it wasn't read out at all. Apparently the elders haven't read it yet and want to have time to read and understand it first. Elder hubby is P...d off at having so much extra work to do! He said if he feels that way then he won't be the only one!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I can gather from people's comments who were there when these slips were handed out, that the "sheepish" or "confused" attitude on the part of the elders indicates that they KNOW this is something that will not be well-received by the rank and file JWs.

In fact, even the elders themselves may personally find this distasteful.

Even though this is in the "testing the waters" stage, I think everybody knows where this is ultimately headed and Good Luck to any JWs still there! This is what your "no-clergy", "no tithing" religion has reinvented itself into.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

A Christian use of material wealth. 5/1/1950

We feel that you would like to consider this matter from this viewpoint. Such helps us to appreciate the necessity for the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society to continually and consistently urge the preaching of the gospel to every person, everywhere. It is an encouragement to you if you are participating in this Bible educational work. When we realize that whoever or wherever a person is he can respond in one way or another to God’s Word, we comprehend why Jehovah’s witnesses are sent to all areas to preach to the people. When you read in this magazine or other of the Watch Tower Society’s publications, such as the 1950 Yearbook, of the work earth-wide, you know the motive that gives this work life and force: love for God and man, and Jehovah’s spirit of blessing on his unselfish servants.

The money which is contributed by persons who accept the printed Bible-study helps from Jehovah’s witnesses aids quite a bit in keeping the work going. The greater part of the financial assistance, however, comes from other voluntary contributions made by Jehovah’s witnesses, by others associating with them, and by any persons who desire to support the work in this manner. It is a joy and an assurance to us, and we believe it will be to you also, for us to again confirm the fact that never in its history has the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society, nor its representatives, solicited any funds, nor “taken up a collection”, or levied tithes. Christians ‘covet no man’s gold’. (Acts 20:33) In following such Scriptural rule Jehovah’s blessing has been upon his organization.

The miracle of the expansion of Jehovah’s worship is taking place in this day by the Lord’s rich blessing and direction. A man is following a wise course in using of his money and other material blessings to support this work. Now, as at all times, the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society follows the Scripturally approved policy of accepting unforced, unsolicited, free-will donations of money. See Luke 16:9; 21:1-4; 1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians 9:7.

This principle has always operated among God’s servants on earth at all times. The same privilege is here today. Such donations build and operate headquarters and Branch offices and facilities in 65 countries, including missionary homes (107 of these now), promote the work in every land (104 at the present writing), school missionaries and transport them to their foreign assignments, pay for local, national and international conventions of gospel ministers, publish Bibles and study aids, and ship and distribute these. And the work is increasing.

Yearly we discuss this matter in The Watchtower for the information of all, thus answering the questions relative thereto for our many new readers, outlining the “Good Hopes” donation arrangement. Soliciting money? Absolutely not! To consider the Lord’s work and plan in advance to further it is a blessed and wonderful privilege in this day. The Society plans in advance, and so do many individuals. Planning in advance what we can arrange to give is in harmony with the advice regarding donations at 1 Corinthians 16:2. So it is suggested that, upon receiving this issue of The Watchtower, you address a postcard or letter to the Society and keep a copy as a reminder to yourself concerning the amount you hope to contribute. All you need to write is, in substance:

“By God’s grace I hope to be able to contribute to the work of announcing the kingdom of Jehovah during the ensuing year the amount of $ ____, which I will remit in such amounts and at such time as I can find it convenient, as I am prospered.
    [Signed] ______.

Address your card or letter to
    Watchtower Bible and Tract Society
    Treasurer’s Office
    124 Columbia Heights
    Brooklyn 2, New York
    Those residing outside of the United States, and who desire to contribute in the above way to the coming year’s expense, please address letters or cards to the Society’s office in the respective country in which you live. (See page 130 for a list.)
    Some persons may not care to undertake any such voluntary arrangement as that above, feeling they are obligating themselves. They prefer to send in their contributions to the Society at any time, according to their prosperity or ability to do so. In such cases they should send all these contributions to the Society at the above Brooklyn address, even if they have not notified the Brooklyn office in advance.
    Your desire and ours is that God’s will may be accomplished through his organization. And so, in prayer, present to Him our need for His guidance, that all money contributions we receive may be used to the best advantage to announce the Kingdom, until the end comes and the new world enters.—Matt. 24:14.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit