A serving elder's take on the new "tithing" arrangement

by TTATTelder 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Captain Obvious,

Thanks for the report. That was a brave brother to field any questions at all. I can't believe he did frankly. If the brother in our hall had taken questions it would have been quite a scene considering how poorly he explained it.

tornapart,

I agree with your hubby wholeheartedly.

Data Dog,

That's freaking unbelievable. What's up with the "Soliciting money? Absolutely not!" as they plainly do just that! Craziness.

Also strange to see the words Gospel and Grace in the text. So some things change and some things don't (like soliciting for money).

Thanks for the post.

-TE

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LongHairGal - "Even though this is in the 'testing the waters' stage, I think everybody knows where this is ultimately headed and Good Luck to any JWs still there! This is what your 'no-clergy', 'no tithing' religion has reinvented itself into."

The pre-Vatican II RCC in microcosm, with a hefty dollop of American fundagelicalism.

Darth Benedict and John "kick-start the Apocalypse" Hagee would be proud.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

They won't call this arrangement "soliciting funds"; they'll call it "voluntary pledges" (that you're compelled to make to remain in good standing)...

...which is like saying, "if it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's a chicken".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VIDIOT:

Yeah, it's a duck alright! You are probably right that they'll say it's "voluntary" but if somebody didn't comply they would not be viewed in good standing. Obviously, it could not remain "anonymous" for long.

It's outrageous and if I were there and were handed one of these forms, I'd crumple it in a ball and throw it back at whoever handed it to me!

All those old-timers who are long gone must be turning in their graves if they see what the JW religion has turned into!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LongHairGal - 'All those old-timers who are long gone must be turning in their graves if they see what the JW religion has turned into!"

Russel, maybe.

Rutherford, though?

I think he'd feel like a proud father.

• 88JM
    88JM

So I'm just back from the meeting where the letter got read.

After reading the full letter and the post-script here online, I was ready for quite a shock in the congregation. However, you always forget that people hearing it only and for the first time don't have time to deciper what is being said, especially if the reader is bad and the important bits get buried in all the waffle.

I would say the reaction of the audience at the time seemed to be boredom and/or confusion. One long-serving sister almost had her head in her hands - either in confusion or disappointment - it was hard to tell.

The elder doing the local needs part was the worst reader here - at the best of times he is quite a jittery and nervous guy, but I swear he was almost visibly sweating reading this letter - maybe because he knows what it really means for the congregation.

There was no mention of taking individual anonymous surveys here - maybe they will go for the "calculate a number" approach. I don't think anyone got the full meaning of the letter, and of course, most of the important stuff is buried in the post-script anyway.

The elder did a brief intro before he read the letter - how blessed we are etc. and even said how lucky we are that we are not like other religions: "we don't pass a plate and we don't do tithing". I found this quite sickening, because at that point he was just outright lying to a room full of people. He even referred back to Exodus 25:2 from the bible highlights which was also mentioned then as well, but with a positive spin about "how nice it is that we are like that" etc.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

88JM,

Thanks for the report. It seems that the congregation secretaries are the ones usually reading this letter.

Ours also is a bad communicator.

That introduction was a guilty conscience talking I'm sure. He was trying to convince himself....Nervously. LOL

Really strange watching this all unfold.

-TE

• twice shy
    twice shy

longhairgal- You are probably right that they'll say it's "voluntary" but if somebody didn't comply they would not be viewed in good standing.

There was a talk and watchtower a few months back that said you basically have to be worthy and in decent standing for your donations to be acceptable. Since we are all sinners.....This might be a nice loophole to slide through.

Just don't forget to ask for forgiveness after they collect the forms back to be turned in. LOL

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Is this going to be rolled out in other countries after the US? Like getting rid of charges for litterature after America did it first?

HB

• 88JM
    88JM

I'm from the UK, so it's not just being rolled out in the US but other places too. Maybe worldwide?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit