A serving elder's take on the new "tithing" arrangement

by TTATTelder 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tiki
    tiki

well......it they follow proper accounting procedures, these pledges become a receivable, which is an asset on the balance sheet. If down the road the pledges are not honored, they become doubtful accounts, and eventually bad debt - which is an expense. So.....increasing assets and keeping liabilities low or at a conservative level can result in increased equity. The real question is how that equity is utilized.....

Meanwhile, like any business - if receivables are in arrears, a certain effort has to be put into getting people/entities to pay up. So, whatever is pledged, while individually anonymous, seems to be coming down to congregations themselves, which means that the onus is on them as a unit to pay up, if indeed people pledge funds they do not actually remit.

And, if the congs cannot generate sufficient funds - what then?

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Berrygerry sez:

Canada is printing for the US, which justifies the US sending "payment" for the mags. A legal way to launder money out of the US corps. that face liability issues. There are many legal ways for corps. to protect assets under numerous entities, esp. when they are multi-national.

Tiki sez:

these pledges become a receivable, which is an asset on the balance sheet. If down the road the pledges are not honored, they become doubtful accounts, and eventually bad debt - which is an expense. So.....increasing assets and keeping liabilities low or at a conservative level can result in increased equity. The real question is how that equity is utilized.....Meanwhile...if receivables are in arrears, a certain effort has to be put into getting people/entities to pay up. So, whatever is pledged, while individually anonymous, seems to be coming down to congregations themselves, which means that the onus is on them as a unit to pay up, if indeed people pledge funds they do not actually remit.

Does sound like they are moving the money away from the US. How many accounts in the Caymans, one wonders??

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I am in shock! It neve ceases to amaze me when the JW's start doing something they have been condemning for years..

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

It costs alot for a top quality bible education.

New light costs extra.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING??

I knew there is a change re 'donations' / 'contributions', but I didnt hear anything about publishers having to "write on a slip what they will give"????

Is this for real???? or is it just a local initiative one cong started??

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

QUOTE - It does seem as if the org lawyers have told them its time to liquidate and get the money as far out of reach as possible - END QUOTE

I suppose interest free loans would still be transacted and therefore "locked" into the US assets of the Corporation. By absolving all loans and just receiving "donations" the Corporation no longer runs a US quasi-business component within it and all the new cash can be freely moved anywhere on the planet without ledger accounts pinning it to US operations.

I imagine this would eliminate many finacial "books" that the could be ordered by the supreme court to be seized or frozen

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Stuckinarut - This is very real. It will happen in all US Congs in the coming weeks that have a paid-for hall.

The congs that have a note already to the branch will be expected to send an amount that is above their current payment but will prob be decided by the elders.

This slip thing is for congs with paid-for halls to come up with an amount they will commit to sending each month to the branch.

They are creating a guilt induced obligation that serves as a predetermined monthly revenue stream to the branch.

We are passing the slips out this week in our hall. All family heads will be expected to write down a number they are willing to commit to giving each month to the branch for Kingdom Hall construction/renovation/maintenance.

I know....it's nuts...

-TE

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

The re-allocation of real estate and printing is not inconsequential.

Canada is printing for the US, which justifies the US sending "payment" for the mags. A legal way to launder money out of the US corps. that face liability issues. There are many legal ways for corps. to protect assets under numerous entities, esp. when they are multi-national. - berrygerry

I suppose interest free loans would still be transacted and therefore "locked" into the US assets of the Corporation. By absolving all loans and just receiving "donations" the Corporation no longer runs a US quasi-business component within it and all the new cash can be freely moved anywhere on the planet without ledger accounts pinning it to US operations.

I imagine this would eliminate many finacial "books" that the could be ordered by the supreme court to be seized or frozen - wallsofjericho

Strong Points....probably closer to the truth than we will ever know.

-TE

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Does sound like they are moving the money away from the US. How many accounts in the Caymans, one wonders??

Funny, I was thinking the same.

The justification can be: "Politics is turning on religion. It would be 'discreet' to pre-emptively find a safer haven."

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

What happened to the scriptural principle of "not letting your right hand know what your left hand is doing"?

or "each one give not under compulsion, but willingly"?

Wow!! What hypocrisy!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit