A serving elder's take on the new "tithing" arrangement

by TTATTelder 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Laika
    Laika

Don't put a ridiculous figure on the form. Put something high but realistic like $300 so that the Congregation ends up with a real shortfall that they have to moan about every month.

The slips are anonymous right?

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I think writing 1.00 is more honorable. You can hit that figure, right?

You can then appear pious by mentioning the strain your payment ...pledge ... resolved donation has become on your finances with the rest of the mumblers.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"Most likely you agree that giving should be part of Christian worship" http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/pc/r1/lp-e/1200271204/227/0

Yes, Watchtower, I would agree. So, my question is, why don't you do it??

WT only receives- it never gives anything.

“Tithing is God’s way of financing His kingdom on the earth”

Tithing the new "donation" arrangement is God’s Jehovah's™ way of financing His kingdom a new Olympic-size swimming pool on the earth at Warwick Country Club”

• Fernando
    Fernando

It seems to me they are going beyond even the "soliciting" they said they would never do.

• DNCall
    DNCall

One of the more appealing aspects of this religion has been its not soliciting donations at its meetings. This has appealed to Witnesses with money as well as those with very little money. This new policy should be a turn-off for many.

Projecting into the future, it's not hard to imagine this approach failing and a new one emerging that involves simply passing the plate.

• jgnat
    jgnat

DNCall, the plate garners less and less these days. Who carries cash? Better to have an ATM deposit machine in the lobby.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What about taking a vow to donate zero and no more? That way, if they use that "if you break a vow, you are sinning" crap, you simply say that you are not breaking your vow. You simply vowed to not donate anything at all, and if you donate anything, that would be breaking your vow and that would therefore be a sin.

Not to mention, if you agree to donate a certain amount, what is joke-hova's obligation? Shouldn't that thing be obligated to ensure that you are able to keep donating that much, without creating undue hardship? If joke-hova lets your financial situation deteriorate and you are not able to donate, that thing has failed. And that "joke-hova is testing you" is nothing but smut. When has joke-hova tested anyone by making them super rich, and expecting donations to go up accordingly? Let's say, putting a spell on you where your donations are exactly 0.1% of your take-home income--meaning if people donate more, their income goes up. When has joke-hova tried that card?

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

What about taking a vow to donate zero and no more? That way, if they use that "if you break a vow, you are sinning" crap, you simply say that you are not breaking your vow. You simply vowed to not donate anything at all, and if you donate anything, that would be breaking your vow and that would therefore be a sin. - WTWizard

I like that thought Wizard.

Putting zero is being honest about what I am willing to commit to.

I believe everyone should put zero to limit as much as possible how much money gets sent to their billion dollar accounts.

I do understand the sabotage angle of writing an amount and then not paying it, but I don't like the thought of raising the bar even for a few months sending the branch a larger amount of money until the local account dries up.

-TE

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I think the letter says something about "reasonably" Well, I will contribute zero dollars per month. I think that's reasonable.

SOP

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

It does not matter what you put on. No one is going to chase you up. There is no one, human or otherwise, who will take offense at your lack of ability to keep some "vow". If there is not enough money each month then there will be a local needs talk on keeping your vow.

The only risk you have is if you do a protest response and get found out as an appointed man.

It's all bollocks and does not matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit