A serving elder's take on the new "tithing" arrangement

by TTATTelder 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

The GB can kiss my ass.

I'm writing "0" on the little slip of paper they pass out.

Hey here's a thought:

You know that "widow's might" stuff they're always talking about? Well I'm pretty dang sure that the lady was giving from the heart not because she filled out some dumba$$ piece of paper pledging two small coins several months previous!

No principle to learn from obligatory giving. Just sayin'.

So take that... you little worthless branch lurkers. Report that to your "God-Appointed" mob bosses!

• Suspicious
    Suspicious

You are better off putting an exaggerated number on that sheet and not contributing a dime. There is no way they can enforce that slip if you don’t put in money.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

No, no, no you've got it backasswards.

The GB don't kiss your ass.

You kiss their ring, and then slip in a few coins.

Or you could draw a picture of an ass on the little slip of paper.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Not so fast TTATTelder!

Notice what the post script in the letter to the BOE says should be done if the flock get a little forgetful about their pledge:

"What should be done if congregation funds are not sufficient to cover resolved donations?

........it would be appropriate for the elders to remind the congregation of the resolved monthly commitments. If the congregation can no longer contribute the amount(s) they resolved on a regular basis, the elders may consider the situation at the next annual review of the resolution for Kingdom Hall and Assembly Hall construction worldwide."

So it sounds like each and every 110,000+ congregations can expect a reminder on a monthly basis (more than likely when the accounts reports is read) to give, give, and give their tithe amount!

So WT, or the CO, will hound the Elders and the Elders in turn will hound the rank and file on a monthly basis for $$$$!

• blondie
    blondie

I thought the accounts report was no longer read from the platform due to less time for the 3 meetings that night.

They would have to resume doing that and that could happen.

Regardless of the anonymous commitments, it will be difficult to hold any specific individual's feet to the fire.

The WTS will want its money from the congregation's main fund. What happened when congregations did not make their mortgage payments? Could the same thing happen with this?

I can remember my husband trying to pay the utility bills (payments to maintenance fund when 2 or more sharing KH), the mortgage, smaller loans to local jws. Often he was borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. The COBOE had to decide the priorities. Have to have lights, heat, AC, phone. The WTS doesn't want their money late>

Example

Utilities/maintenance fund

Mortgage

Other payments to WTS insurance for CO DO

Loan payments to local jws

2700 but only 1400 in donations....what doesn't get paid....CO told elders that the elders had to cough up the difference (that went over well)

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

In the Church of England this is called the Parish Share.

The diocese calculates an amount based on church attendance and previous contributions. The congregation tries to meet it. They do get a full time minister for their money tho!

• Zoos
    Zoos

Sounds like a membership fee to me. Before long, if congregations fall short on their payments they can expect collection procedures to be initiated.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

For most people the only thing that is certain in life is you pay taxes and die. Not so for Jehovah's Witnesses!

From now on according to this new BOE letter Jehovah's Witnesses will have to 1) pay taxes, 2) pay their tithe to WT and 3) die!

Blondie comments: "I thought the accounts report was no longer read from the platform due to less time for the 3 meetings that night."

Not when it comes to money that is due the Harlot! In many congregations that already have an existing pledge to the Society, WT has the Accounts Report read like clockwork on a monthly basis which includes the running tally of financial pledges/commitments collected to remind the rank and file of their 'agreed-upon' obligation.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

Was the letter read in any congregation? Here in UK asked 2 friends and they dont recall anything like this has been read in yesterdays meeting.

Tonight we have our meeting and will see if they read it.

I stopped contributing years ago and dont know if this is to expose people like me and what would be the outcome - not planning to fund the court cases account!

• Splash
    Splash

We got the first bit about the SKHF (KHCW) box being discontinued with immediate effect.

The announcement concluded with "there's more information to follow"

Splash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit