Is my clinging on to a belief in a Creator doing me any harm?

by KateWild 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

DJS,

Made me smile good one Kate xx

• DJS
    DJS

Well it's about damn time!!! LOL. I've been doing somersaults, juggling and back flips all morning, dropping rat after rat at your doorstep seeking approval!!!! Geesh. What a guy has to do around here. ;-)

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

There is a VERY big difference between a belief in an organized religion vs a belief you hold to on a personal level outside the need for any organized religion.

The motto is 'do no harm'.

If your personal belief provides comfort, happiness and peace of mind for you in your life - who is it harming? If it provides a compass for the direction in life you wish to move in - who is it harming? If it helps you achieve the goals you set for yourself - who is it harming?

When we insist that it is irrational or harmful to believe in something that benefits someone else - perhaps we need to examine our own selves to determine why we would seek to demean what is good for someone else. There are people who belief in Earth Day - who spend the day in honor of Mother Earth - who thank the rocks and the trees for their balance in our lives. If their involvement in Earth Day makes them happy, if they feel they are accomplishing something, what do I care if that is their belief system? There are people who believe that humans are energy and as such, they never die but are felt in all the life energy around them. Who am I to tell them that is not a valid belief? Who is anyone to tell them that based on another persons reality, or science, that they can't feel something they do? Rather like going to a doctor and telling him you have pain and being told it's 'all in your head'.

Your journey is yours - sw

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Hey Kate, here is my current "favorite" song!! Listen to the lyrics and then go kick some ass!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwXCpEiqls

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Kate: As far as my knowledge of science, namely chemistry is concerned, I am satisfied there is evidence of a Creator.

I can't answer your question, but given your interest in science, you may want to take a look at this thread:

You may find it useful and I'm sure your participation would be appreciated.

Oubliette

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"I don't see how my beliefs are causing me or anyone else any harm." - Kate

I like that you are willing to change your POV if enough evidence is provide. Remember that those opinions could be based in bad information.

If you spread that "bad information" with knowledge that it didn't withstood criticism, analysis and questioning, you could be misleading you and others. Eventually, Intellectual Dishonesty can and will harm you and others.

Take care,

Ismael

• KateWild
    KateWild

I can't answer your question, but given your interest in science, you may want to take a look at this thread:-Oub

Excellent OP Oub, I am reading all the comments now and will make one of my own. Keep an eye on active topics. Kate xx

• Heaven
    Heaven

Kate said: I feel though that the chemistry behind enantiomers is my evidence.

Most believers have no idea what this is. I conclude from your statements that the 'creator' is your own personal idea held primarily by you. Perhaps we can call your 'creator' KW 1.0. Just add it to the long list. I have concluded after doing my own research that God is a figment of the human imagination. Talk to any believer and they have their own spin on God.

sammie said: The motto is 'do no harm'.

This is the Witch/Pagan/Wiccan motto which pre-dates the big 3 faiths. It should be the motto for all but sadly is not.

sammie said: If your personal belief provides comfort, happiness and peace of mind for you in your life - who is it harming? If it provides a compass for the direction in life you wish to move in - who is it harming? If it helps you achieve the goals you set for yourself - who is it harming?

If believers beliefs are personal why is it they feel impelled to foist them on others? I have yet to meet a believer who doesn't, at some point, play the 'God/Jesus/Mohamed/deity of choice' card. If your beliefs are helping you, great. I think most believers feel impelled to convert people, at least, the Christian ones seem to. It's like they need validation. Christians need you to believe because if you don't, they believe you are in danger (which is what they've been indoctrinated to believe).

I think the fundamental question believers have to ask themselves is "Why Do I Believe?" I used to believe because I was told to.

I also used to believe in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus. But then I grew up.

sammie said: There are people who belief in Earth Day - who spend the day in honor of Mother Earth

Mother Earth is more real than invisible Sky Daddy.

Napoleon - Sun Would Be My God

sammie said: Your journey is yours - sw

So true.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Kate: I am reading all the comments now and will make one of my own. Keep an eye on active topics. Kate xx

Will do!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Most believers have no idea what this is. I conclude from your statements that the 'creator' is your own personal idea held primarily by you. Perhaps we can call your 'creator' KW 1.0. Just add it to the long list. Talk to any believer and they have their own spin on God.- Heaven

Hahaha! So true my belief in God is personal to me, and if people don't believe in him I don't mind, and I don't think they will suffer any consequences, as I don't believe God punishes or rewards people anyway. People are unique and the way they percieve God is varied and unique also, even JWs. Some think God answered their prayer for the bus to come, others would never pray for the bus to come, some JWs have been atheists their whole lives and have never believed in God.

Heaven if you would like to give my God that I believe in a new name be my guest. I sincerly get your point and have believed tis for a long time. I agree most believers I have met don't know what an enantiomer is, but I did mix in Chemistry circles and some believed in God and others didn't, the fact they knew what an enantiomer was had no bearing on their beliefs, they believed for their own reasons.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit