Is my clinging on to a belief in a Creator doing me any harm?

by KateWild 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

The long and short is that belief can hurt a person, depending on what they do with that belief- such as blindly following old men from Brooklyn. But it's okay if you keep your wits and watch your steps.-OTWO

I fully understand jumping into another religion will harm me. Even if that group or organisation is mainstream and not a cult, it will harm me because I will feel vulnerable and suspicious. I know I am not ready for that, plus I don't even believe the bible was from God either.

I will certainly watch my steps, thanks for the post, you have helped me lots, keep up the good work on the board.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

FHN,

Thanks for the Glicksman link it was really interesting. Many professionals, scientists, doctors and the like have a belief in a creator. It's good for us to learn about ones like this when we exit WT. Our bad experience can have a negative influence on our beliefs if we don't have a wide skillset when we leave to help us heal.

I believe in talking to people with all kinds of beliefs during my deprogramming.

Thanks Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am all for what works-Lisa

I suspect I am still evolving, but I believed in God as a Jew when some did not, At the moment believing in a Creator is working for me, and I am happy too. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Why do you care if there is a GOD-CAA

Good question. I suppose it's not really that I care there is a God, but more so that I care everyone has a right to beleive in God. To be honest if I had evidence based on the Soai reaction that God didn't exist, I wouldn't really care that much, because I would be happy with evidence, plus God doesn't care about me and my family.

I hope I haqve answered your question

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

we are easy prey to want to adopt another belief system too quickly. Do not allow that to happen, and do not be too hard on yourself.-done4good

I definately want to avoid this and none of the waky religious websites have tempted me in the least, I have noticed some xJWs go off into a worse situation and remain completely unbalanced. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Its pointless to try to tell yourself what you ought to believe. - cofty

Spot on, great advice. I have tried to tell myself God is not real and I find I get cognitive dissonance, I don't feel genuine. I believe what I believe and continue to question and read. I feel I am being authentic and I am just as unique as you, and evryone else that posts on this board.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Giordano,

I like your training wheels illustration. It's like having a kind of safety net and makes us feel comfortable. I get comfort from my beliefs. Kate xx

• prologos
    prologos

kate good for you. like you, many deist have their little bit of favoured piece of nature that speaks for a creator (even well hidden) resonating with them.

does it harm? it seems not, if it spurs on to greater research, openess of mind. and

'the universe totally made itself' theory/ hypothesis

has yet to be convincingly shown to have merit.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I haven't had time to read the whole thread but I would recommend doing some study of faith, god, religion and belief away from this forum and without any JW bias or perspective.

JW 'rules of belief' and even 'rules of interpretation' are far removed from what is out there.
    Basically it is a fundamentalist approach. JWs and Ex-JWs tend to have little idea or concept of anything else and hence only argue and reason from this angle.

My short answer to the question is no

• Open mind
    Open mind

to Data-Dog on the "Modern Jesus" song!!

Well worth a listen while reading the lyrics!

(Adding "liars" and "choirs" to my list of rhyming words.)

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit