Is my clinging on to a belief in a Creator doing me any harm?

by KateWild 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

You may find that it is OK to carry on in your belief, but to re-examine it, a little at a time, when you find it conflicting with evidence that you see around you.-Cliff

That is so true, you have confirmed my bias. Due to my interest in chemistry, if I discover anything that changes what I believe I will not cling to an old beleif. As of yet, I have not been convinced by science or chemistry. But my belief fuels my enquiry.

Kate xx

P.S. Cliff, Judaism is more of a culture for our family, and their are gald we're out the cult, turns out they were right all along. LOL!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Metatron,

Thanks good speech. I get comfort and happiness from believing in a creator. Happiness is what I strive for. At the moment our circumstances in our family are inhibiting this. But I am happy with my beliefs. Kate xx

• designs
    designs

My very Catholic brother in law quips that god's greatest cardinal quality is- serendipity.

• KateWild
    KateWild

LOL! deasigns, I like it

• Terry
    Terry

Here is a harsh fact: most of what people BELIEVE has no impact on life whatsoever!

A man who believes in the Trinity and an atheist who believes in evolution are indistinguishable just standing, sitting, running, jumping, etc.

The only difference between BELIEVERS and non-believers is this.

BELIEVERS spend a lot of time in ritual behavior (prayer, church attendance, studies, etc.)

The non-believer has more free time and fewer self-induced obligations.

Jehovah's Witnesses WASTE half their life on rituals. They are famously unproductive, non-contributing members of society.

Oh yes, and they are simply contrarian on every subject imaginable.

Being a Jehovah's Witness is about being AGAINST damn near everything their fellow man is FOR.

Now, how is that working out for them?

• KateWild
    KateWild

A believer has just PM'd me to check out this site. http://www.friendsofjehovahswitnesses.com/

Has anyone heard of it? I am going to check it out and see if it's reasonable or not.

Kate xx

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't see what harm it can do. I believe humans had a creator, but we are expected to put forth effort in our lives. As long as your belief is not in Jeehoober of the WT Corporation, you are probably alright. If you are not shirking your responsibilities with a "wait on Jehhoober" attitude, then I don't see an issue.

The harm comes from Xianity teaching people to do nothing. Especially cults like the WTBTS. Anything you aspire to must take second place to their brand of Xian dogma. You can't live that way, giving your emotional and mental and spiritual energy to Jeehoober inc. It sucks the life out of you. IMO, you Creator wants you to LIVE and acheive anything you can while not losing sight on true spiritual development. Do some Yoga, meditate, take some self-defense classes, just sit in the park and quiet your mind, feel the Sun, watch children play. These things are more spiritual than endless dread of the END and doing Jeehoober's paper route for free.

I want to add that Terry's post is dead-on.

"The non-believer has more free time and fewer self-induced obligations. Jehovah's Witnesses WASTE half their life on rituals. They are famously unproductive, non-contributing members of society."

DD

• KateWild
    KateWild

most of what people BELIEVE has no impact on life whatsoever! BELIEVERS spend a lot of time in ritual behavior (prayer, church attendance, studies, etc.)-Terry

I agree so much with these points. My goals have nothing whatsoever to do with the fact I believe in God. I have given up all my rituals, so I have more time to pursue interests and reach my goals. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

DD,

Thanks for your post. I always love reading them. I have quit the WT now and I don't think I view God the same way as I did when I believed in Jehovah. I was stuck in a hamster wheel religion, I pioneered and gave up my job as a chemical analyst. I have goals and dreams now to get back where I was before I sucummed to ritualistic behaviour, and I am not relying on prayers to get me there.

Kate xx

• Laika
    Laika

What if performing rituals is one of your interests?

I mostly liked Terry's post, I think the impact of our beliefs on our lives, whilst certainly not irrelevant, are often overstated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit