Is my clinging on to a belief in a Creator doing me any harm?

by KateWild 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

I can't think of any personal harm that would befall you if you left your theism behind.-DJS

I agree, I don't think it's harmful being an atheist. But likewise I can't see the harm with my beliefs either. Kate xx

• DJS
    DJS

Kate, that sounds like a very normal progession. I spent years researching relgiion, taking relgion classes as electives, thinking about my theism and its roots, going to various churches and temples and speaking with friends who had much different views (Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, etc.). But only in a learning mode; my Dub days left me with no desire to ever proselytize again. Ever.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Many of our Jewish relatives found the same delimma post WWII.-designs

My mum escaped the concentration camps, she was a Jew born in 1941 and survived. She is an atheist, but sent us to Jewish schools and Synagogue our whole lives, but she ate pork and bacon. I knew many atheist Jews growing up as well as believers. We used to debate a lot about God in our Jewish circles, they taught me critical thinking from a religious perspective, I can't believe I fell for the love bombing from the JWs.

Kate xx

• cliff
    cliff

Judaism is an inseperable mixture of culture AND religion.

• metatron
    metatron

Kate, what's the purpose of life? I understand that the Dalai Lama got asked that by a hotel employee and without skipping a beat, he said

"Happiness"

That's it. Total, complete, in a nutshell. Kinda like one those 'we hold these truths to be self evident' things.

metatron

• metatron
    metatron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXn5-r8mj-s

I cherish this speech from "Second Hand Lions".

metatron

• DJS
    DJS

Kate,

One of my best friends (he was one of my profs in my master's program) is Jewish who keeps kosher. And an atheist. His jewishness is based on his deep respect for his people, culture, traditions and struggles. I learned a lot from him about the Jewish faith and even more about his culture. He is very smart (two PhDs) and both his sons have been Navy Seals (U.S.); one still is. They have an achievement culture which would serve all of us well. It's very similar to my current GF (Hindu tiger mom!). Failure is NOT an option. Neither of them believe in Jesus or a god as we think of it, but they are two of the most ethical decent people Ive known.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I think your just fading gradually out from your known state of spirituality which you have acquired in your past acceptance and learning.-Fink

Possibly, we can't just awaken instantly from our experience in the cult. Due to the fact we all experience consequences to some extent when we leave, we are still involved with WT and gradually learning new things is probably the wisest way to learn.

Kate xx

• DJS
    DJS

Yes. yes. Yes.

"Due to the fact we all experience consequences to some extent when we leave, we are still involved with WT and gradually learning new things is probably the wisest way to learn."

• KateWild
    KateWild

It sounds like you are feeling like it might be harming you.-pissoff

Actually the opposite. For the sake of lurkers I wanted to post this really, and for many that say atheists on this site are mean. I don't think it's harming me at all. I discuss more important things with my kids, and listen really to their beliefs.

Also I would like to add, that so far in this thread, all the atheists have been, kind and nice.

I don't think being an atheist is harmful or being a believer is harmful. I think it is harmful to have an "I am right and you are wrong attitude". But I do get your point pisstoff, if I felt like it was harmful I would change my belief. It was harmful for me to have a relationship with God, each time I prayed I was just angry with him, now I accept he doesn't care, so I have practically stopped praying now. I feel healthier.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit