Is my clinging on to a belief in a Creator doing me any harm?

by KateWild 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I totally agree with you Kate that you have a human right to believe in God if you want to.

Is it doing you any harm you ask?

Perhaps if you feel you are part of some big plan, some greater purpose that might be harmful. I think we need to make our own purpose in life and the beauty of it is it's going to be slightly different for everyone. It's going to be from our authentic personality which is wonderful.

Do you remember that earlier in the thread you said you don't know how you fell for the love bombing of the JWs? Sometimes people prey on us at weak moments if we have a general belief. If we think in the back of our minds that the genuine believers who really have love among themselves are out there somewhere we might be duped again.

What I mean by this is not that there aren't some good people in churches. I mean the Christlike personality as propounded by more cultish groups is a myth, nobody can be that perfect. It just messes people up trying to be that perfect.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

How does the indoctrination process work? We chip away at a persons belief system and gradually bring them around to our thinking. The only thing is to make sure our new belief system is ours not not somebody elses.

You see maybe its important how you keep or loose your belief in a creator. No disrespect intended to the sincere posters on this board.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

We are all gods- in a way, lol. And as gods, it is important that we believe in ourselves- so... it's not doing you any harm. There- problem solved, lol.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have not read the thread, it is long and I am supposed to be working. As to the question posed in the Thread Title, I suppose it depends on what you do with the belief, and perhaps what you do not do because of it.

You could bludgeon others with your belief, some believers do (Perry), and you could refrain from doing things with your life that you really wish to do, as many believers do, JW's especially.

The other minor harm that could come your way is that you, and your opinions, may be considered in a poor light by those who have eschewed Belief for Logic, Reason and Evidence, all of which are lacking with regard to trusting in the existence of a Creator

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Your best post yet KW. Lots of good responses. Too bad it wasn't ever like this at the KH!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Here is a short 6 minutes or so video from Matt Dillahunty sharing why

Consequences Of False Beliefs can be a bad thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjbtzqPQwgE&list=WLpm8nvSyAV0VCEKSTIPvuyA&index=5

• smiddy
    smiddy

He never answers my prayers, or has not answered my kids prayers. Suffering is a problem that the world has to encounter each and every day. People suffer at the hands of other bad people, and people suffer from natural disasters.

Havent you answered your own question here Kate ?

Do you honestly think their is a GOD who hears every prayer every day of over 7 billion people , many who pray multiple times a day , and he/she considers each and every one of them as to whether they are worthy of answering them or not ?

Or maybe you think he only listens to Jewish prayers , or maybe only Christian prayers , Muslim prayers ?

What about prayers from folk that are never given opportunity to be influenced by these 3 bible based faiths in what could be about a quarter to a third of the worlds population. It may not be the GOD you or I are familiar with , yet it is the only GOD they know through no fault of their own , it is only by " chance" as to where they were born.

Their are things that occur in this world that I have no explanation for , personal things I cant explain , but a GOD ? who is interested in human affairs ? My experience says no.

smiddy

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks guys for even more opinions. I conclude from this thread my beliefs are not causing me, my family, or others any harm. Kate xx

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That's good Kate, Belief, which is trusting that something is true with no satisfactory evidence, is something that Humans do a lot.

As long as such beliefs are truly harmless then that is fine, but I would never advocate that beliefs should affect in any way decision making in a person's life.

Decisions should be made upon solid evidence, logic, common sense and should work toward bringing about the best result for all concerned.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi Kate may I pose a question? Without this forum or the responses on which you have come to a cconclusion; what would your own conclusion be?

Many people base their conclusions/beliefs if you like on what others opinions are eg those who accept the bible as gods word because of the opinions therein

Personally I still find a perplexity in your reasoning as it seems to require what others offer as an answer .

Best wishes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit