Took my son (5 yrs) shooting for his first time.

by dazed but not confused 206 Replies latest social relationships

• TD
    TD
    How can anyone form an informed opinion on a topic if those who do understand the topic won't speak up?

Okay. You understand that humans have lost about a tennis ball worth of our brains since our Cro Magnon days?

There is a similar phenomenon with wild canids. They are not as receptive to human body language as domestic dogs, but in all other respects they are much smarter. Traps will eliminate about 10% off of the left hand side of the bell curve and that is all. The rest are too smart to even go near a trap. Poison will get a little bit more and will hurt other species you honestly don't want to hurt. And, depending upon the poison, it could spread though the ecosystem towards the top of the food chain.

This doesn't affect most people, but in places like where I live, (USA, AZ) urban sprawl has crept right up to the gates of native land. You can't even disturb a pebble, much less kill an animal on native land. The land and the wildlife on it is sacred.

Your point about evolution is well made. We are systematically breeding a super species here. I can recognize that, but at the same time, point out that it does not address the here and now.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

NewYork44M- Rules...Absolutely. If you ever find yourself in Colorado I'd love to take you to the range. I'm extending an invitation to you and anyone else who'd like to go. Send me a PM.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Okay. You understand that humans have lost about a tennis ball worth of our brains since our Cro Magnon days?

Everything else aside - I would like to see evidence to support this. Cro Magnon was not exactly creating iPhones. What exactly did they do that earned them this high-IQ reputation?

There is a similar phenomenon with wild canids. They are not as receptive to human body language as domestic dogs, but in all other respects they are much smarter.

I have no reason at all to accept the first unsupported assertation, but go on.

Traps will eliminate about 10% off of the left hand side of the bell curve and that is all. The rest are too smart to even go near a trap. Poison will get a little bit more and will hurt other species you honestly don't want to hurt. And, depending upon the poison could spread though the ecosystem towards the top of the food chain.

Agreed.

This doesn't affect most people, but in places like where I live, (USA, AZ) urban sprawl has crept right up to the gates of native land. You can't even disturb a pebble, much less kill an animal on native land. The land and the wildlife on it is sacred.

Sounds more like your problem is you're not allowed to steal?.. from lands you don't own? Native Americans should have some rights today as well I think.

Your point about evolution is well made. We are systematically breeding a super species here. I can recognize that, but at the same time, point out that it does not address the here and now.

Indeed, and I will admit to de-railing the topic in that regard - it is absolutely assured that local farmers markets and ranchers are engaging in means more extreme than I would prefer to ensure that their hard-earned product reaches market.

The question I would ask is - is there a target middle ground? I have to assume even farmers don't really want to spend their time shooting at things. I imagine a scenario where food isn't so much of a moral delima for famers to grow, it is a realistic happy median for everyone (execpt the dang incects for a while) to enjoy. Personally - if I could create a network communication system without pulling out the ol' gun to kill bugs - that'd be a pretty happy day.

In so many ways we have mastered agricutulre and even ranching - perhaps in another 1000 years we'll have figured it out completely. ;)

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

Why on earth do you feel it's necessary to teach a 5 year old how to shoot a gun? Do you not think it'd be more viable to teach a 5 year old about reading, writing, and math? I've noticed people who love guns typically don't have a reputation of being educated or posessing any type of intellect. You've pretty much confirmed that stereotype with this thread.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Space Madness - I am not going to take advice from an admitted drug user.

Of course reading, math, and writing is important...

After reading some of your posts, I really pity you.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

why on earth would you teach a 5 year old about guns?

Its because guns exist . Why teach a five year old about tooth decay.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

we unedumacated redneks hav no need for reding maff or riting skilz bang bang gun sond fun

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yup. Gunz are not found in nature. Which is why I don't have one and my inner-city children/grandchildren don't have one.

You need to kill for food? Grocery store is way easier and cheaper.

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

Classical straw man. You can't counter my argument so you attack my character. No need to feel sorry me, I'm currently in college with a 3.71 GPA as a chemistry major and only two semesters away from qualifying for a academic scholarship. I could sink to your level by reading through all your old post and highlighting all your shortcomings but to be honest you're not that important and I have no interest in learning anything more about you.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Dazed, the last couple of summers I drove up and down I-25 between Billings and Boulder taking my daughter back to school. Yeah, what I was talking about was similar, although slightly more populated (Eastern Washington).

I've noticed people who love guns typically don't have a reputation of being educated or posessing any type of intellect.

Claptrap. My family are all avid hunters. Between the five of us there was a BA, three MD's and a Nobel Prize. All our hunting buddies were research scientists.

You need to kill for food? Grocery store is way easier and cheaper.

Yeah, the moral superiority is obvious, because nothing dies to make store bought hamburger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit