Took my son (5 yrs) shooting for his first time.

by dazed but not confused 206 Replies latest social relationships

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I'm currently teaching him to field strip an AK-47 blind folded. He’s gotta learn that before starting school.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I'm currently teaching him to field strip an AK-47 blind folded. He’s gotta learn that before starting school.

I remember the first time I field-stripped while blind folded. Completely different scenario. I thought it was 10-gauge, turned out to be 12... how embarassing.

- Lime

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

I have lived when when my next meal was the result of a shooting or sometimes it was the result of spearing of fish. How iresponsible would it be not to teach a 5 year old aout shooting or spearing?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

It looks like a fun day! A suggestion re. picture #1, teach him to watch how he places his left hand--the thumb is close to the slide--a little closer, and it would really hurt (no need to ask how I learned THAT lesson, which I will never forget!).

• TD
    TD

Good for you. My father ended up raising horses.

I grew up shooting coyotes on the run with a real M1 carbine that had been brought home from Korea.

There is a clique that sneer at this, fancy themselves intellectually superior and look down on us poor ignorant rednecks.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Truthseeker677: It is absolutely not iresponsible at all.

Consider the opportunity to hold your offspring up on your shoulders - your experience. To spread to them your accumulated knowledge. Consider what you have to share to your offspring what you have learned about the world with what... thousands of similar people learned about the world just the same. The figured out the same things, period.

Consider what the collective whole has learned about the world. Much, much, much greater what you have learned.

The majority of the world figured it out: If you want to eat fish, there is economy in numbers.

- Lime

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

GL- all in good time. the gun was way too powerful for him to shoot on his own. But i know what you mean...ouch

Lime-lol

Truth- fortunately that's not a necessity here....yet...

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Dazed... it's not like you or your offspring figured out the scientific principles behind gunpowder or guns. It's not like Jesus did. ;)

Science-minded people did. People who asked questions and experimented.

The exact power of gunpowder and therefore guns if governed by physics. By truth.

;)

- Lime

PS: God defended the Garden of Eden by a sword. What a putz.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

TD- coyotes are open season here with no permit required. Overpopulation. Didn’t see any.

• JeffT
    JeffT

next month maybe you can teach him to drive

OK, we can change arguments for awhile. In lots of rural areas in America kids start learning to drive as soon as they can reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel at the same time. I've lived in farming areas where 13 or 14 year-olds could legally drive trucks to the co-op during harvest. The 15 year olds are driving heavy equipment in the field. They tend to be good drivers by the time they get their licenses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit