Over 7yrs as a JW and I just found out I'm not supposed to buy Girl Scout Cookies?

by Maat13 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

Of all the things that JWs 'can't do', Bill Maher had to pick one that doesn't really have anything in print to back up the position. That's 'tradition of men', so to speak. Oral law handed down from on high by word of mouth, generation to generation. But not recorded in the holy WT scrolls.

Not that he's entirely wrong. When I was growing up, not only were you not to join girl scouts or boy scouts, you could not support them by buying cookies or support any other scheme they used to raise money. I figured this would come as surprise to many JWs today who were not around in the 60s and 70s. I could see them all now, Friday night, watching Bill Maher on HBO (another example of JW hypocrisy in itself). "NO WAY! He's wrong! He doesn't know anything about us!" (notice however that they were laughing right along with the absurdities of the other groups mentioned until it got to them). But these are the same JWs that probably have no clue about not owning wind chimes, or about men not tipping their hats to ladies, or not toasting/clinking glasses, or what the real reason why smoking is a DFing offense (spiritism).

I'm glad Bill lumped JWs in with the group, but if he wanted to accentuate the absurd, he probably should have used birthdays, instead of girl scout cookies. That one is verifiable. And just as harmless as buying girls scout cookies. Then any JWs who were daring to watch his show to begin with would feel a little uncomfortable when they got lumped in with the rest of the loonies.

• Maat13
    Maat13

Giordano,

I can unequivocally assure you that I am no longer mired in the foolishness of JW doctrine. And while I agree that the JW's are a cult organization, it's a stretch to compare them to a man/organization that forced people to drink poison at gun-point.

I understand the blood issue...very well...both now and what was meant by it when it was penned in the Bible.

And yes, I do want to talk about Girl Scout Cookies...because from a psychological stand point that is where the Freudian techniques come into play and cause all that pain and suffering many of us have gone through being apart of this organization. If you succumb to a little BS at a time, it's much easier to succumb to the larger amount of BS...because you have been consuming BS all along anyway.

That my friends is the nature of the beast. That is why many folks are still in. Parents shunning kids, kids shunning parents. It's the little things that are drivings small nails one by one into a coffin of no escape. It's psychological control, predicated on the basis self indulgence. I gave proper reference to check out the work of Edward Burnays (who incidently began his work in 1914) in an earlier poost. Now cross reference his tactics with the WTBTS. It's all about 'Girl Scout Cookies'. I suggest you dig more into pyschological control...

DataDog,

Enjoy breaking every rule the WTBTS society has forbade you to do. It's good for the soul...yes good for the soul...your spirit on the other hand is another subject all together. In neither of your statements did you suggest causing injury to anyone physically or mentally. So no offense is taken by me. Enjoy the life you have been given. It's precious.

Valkyrie

Objective does not mean positive.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Valkyrie

Objective does not mean positive. - Maat13

I absolutely agree. Hence, the editing - to conform to the entirety of your expression.

• Maat13
    Maat13

Valkyrie,

You are most certaintly entitled to your opinion. I'll continue to remain objective, no matter what atrocities have been committed by the WTBTS.

Maat

• HB
    HB

I'm a Guide Leader (Guides are the UK equivalent of Girl Scouts), and although we don't sell cookies, we do take part in various other fund raising events.

A few years ago, I experienced JW disapproval of Girlguiding, which shocked me at the time.

My first post on this forum was to ask JWN members for advice on whether a young friend who was studying with the JWs would be allowed to continue her training to be a Brownie Leader if she joined the religion. (Brownies are younger Guides).

I was told by forum posters that there would definitely be a conflict for my friend between being a JW and doing weekly voluntary work with the Brownies.

However, when I told her about this, she was incredulous and confidently asked her Study Conductor to confirm it was not true. She came back to me triumphantly to say she had been told that if she wished, she could continue as a Brownie Leader but just had to avoid being involved with Easter crafts, Christmas celebrations, singing Happy Birthday, etc and should not make the traditional Guiding salute to the UK Flag. She was happy with this and didn't see any problem.

This was during the 'love bombing' phase. However sure enough, as JWN members predicted, after a short while, she was told she should consider how working with the Brownies was affecting her relationship with Jehovah. There was a lot of guilt and pressure until sadly and reluctantly she resigned from Guiding.

She ended up in misery and deep depression as she was being controlled more and more tightly. Long story short, eventually she was 'rescued' from the Watch Tower Org, and immediately and happily rejoined her Brownie Unit.

I had never been a JW and before this, had not known much about them. As an outsider, it showed me that the JWs were a harmful cult, rather than the slightly crazy but well-meaning group I had previously believed them to be.

So I guess that in the same way, in the USA, Canada, Australia, NZ etc where selling Girl Scout / Girlguide Cookies is common, a JW refusing to buy or eat one would give them 'bad' publicity in the eyes of worldly people .

Incidentally, in the UK, last year the 'Promise' that all Guiding members make was changed to take 'God' out of it completely, and Guiding is slowly heading towards becoming a completely secular organisation. But it wont make any difference to the JWs I guess.

Guide Cookies

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

WOW. Great story, but sad..but then Happy!!

Remember the upcoming DC! What things must take second place?? EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE, EVEN COOKIES!!!!

DD

• wasblind
    wasblind

" I'll continue to remain objective , no matter what atrocities have been commited by the WTBTS "_____Maat

For someone who claim " to no longer be mired down in the foolishness of JW doctrine "

and also claim to " understand the blood issue very well "

how can you remain unaffected in your objectivity based upon the facts

on doctrine you consider to be foolish

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

You don't get rid of it, and next week they call it "brazen conduct". That can be used to enforce any rule, even if not in the official rulebook.

Yes, basically brazen conduct in the "troof" is almost like a disorderly conduct charge in society, when the police wants to take you to jail but can't figure out exactly what to charge you with.

• Maat13
    Maat13

WasBlind,

I'd like to approach the situation in a manner that will not be governed by emotional responses.

Also, I try my best to make informative and factual statements not claims.

Maat

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hey Maat13,

I just thought I would bump this post to see how you are doing with your circumstances. Have you had a chance to check out jwfacts.com? That site can help you discuss things with your wife in an appropriate way. How does your wife feel about the girl scout cookies?

Keep us informed.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit