Over 7yrs as a JW and I just found out I'm not supposed to buy Girl Scout Cookies?

by Maat13 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

My pio daughter bought GS cookies from the little neighbor girl...I was thrilled to see her "stepping outside the box" as she's usually so "by the book". I'm hoping that my more open way of thinking is finally making an impact!

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I've been out a very long time, but it was always a no no for a JW to openly mention buying girl scout cookies. This was something a person did privately. Anytime the subject of buying girl sciut cookies came up in a JW group setting, then you could expect the standard Watchtower cultspeak on why it was bad.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I was pioneering where the need was great (1960's) held positions in the congregation, pioneered with a very conscientious brother who wanted to 'earn' his way to Bethel.

Oh yes we were pioneering in one of Pennsylvania's western 'ice box' cities with temperatures at 4 or 5 decrees most winter days.

So one day, we had been in the area for about a month or so, we got to talking about the local YMCA. So we interrupted service and visited it. For 5 bucks a month we would have access to a heated pool, could shoot some hoops, work out with weights so we joined. Hey we were young men and we were Christian....perfect. Things were looking great until we mention it to our presiding minister. The look on his face was ......well he delivered the bad news in a manner that indicated we had taken leave of our senses. After that dress down we canceled our membership, figured out latter that we must have come up in the truth at a time where there had not been an update on joining the Y and no one had ever mentioned it starting to realize that I was playing on a losing team.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

My mother always bought girl scout cookies from her coworker for her daughter and from a neighborhhood girl, this was in the 60's and 70's, so when did the "noo lite" about GS cookies start taking effect?

• Thor
    Thor

Hello and welcome Maat13!

The title of your post made me laugh, so I had to read it.

I didn't realize until a few years in that we were not supposed to toast our drinks!

As the years went by I did realize more and more, and I guess my proverbial camels back started getting loaded down. ;)

I wish you and your family well!

Mrs. Thor

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Maat. Welcome!

So I see you watched "Real Time" with Bill Maher as well eh? My wife and I looked at each other and said......"we don't"? We literally had a box of Samoas in the cupboard. Honestly, that is not really true. nothing written about it. it is assumed, and I am sure some make a big deal about it. Your average JW though wouldn't think twice. I wish instead he would have used "blood transfusions".

Then we laughed because we said "we".....hilarious! My wife has not been to a meeting for only 10 weeks, and is in the early stages....but if it could happen with her, it could happen with anyone. She was a pioneer for 16 years (we are only in our 30's), and was the golden girl of the circuit.

Hang in there, and let us know your story when you can.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was a girl scout, but my excuse was that my dad was not a JW. My mom wasn't baptised until I grew out of the GS stuff. We always bought/ate the cookies in my house, but there was definitely a prejudice against them in the congregation.

Our congregation wasn't too nuts about garage sales. My aunt was nuts about the haunted house or demon possessed house she lived in though (darling old turn of the century home). Holiday candy lost all evil powers after the day, but a marshmallow santa eaten before Christmas was a really bad thing (those palmer/russell stover candies were nasty ALL the time, so no great loss, usually!) My Peeps were always a little stale and leftoverish. We had a family tradition of the storybook lifesaver pack after christmas. Loved those things. The only thing we could accept from Grandma was a box of mandarin oranges (I still associate with holidays and still love them).

The local nuts were feeling the bumps on each others heads, checking out for disease using that, the iridology method and the tongue fuzz check.

In NJ, people made shrines of dead people (Italian catholics never really fully convert to JWism in NJ, I think!) They were a lot more liberal on the East Coast about clubbing and social things and there were a few born in single moms who got preg/df'd, reinst. and then went on to be pioneers and getting public assistance. Sweet racket. On the west coast, I don't see that playing well. (where I grew up). We had the men w/families playing the public assistance thing maintaining minimal standards for their families. I did think that most JWs I met were nice folks, but the religion brings out bad things in people's character sometimes. Or it sure doesn't really end/minimize them.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I love Hot Cross Buns and Thin Mints. Well,, you purchased Girl Scout Cookies so you are Armageddon toast.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Do you not know that the Girl Guides Organization is run by other religious organizations and therefore operated

and governed over by Satan himself ?

These girls are all under Satan's spell if you look closely.

Why give money and support for an organization like that ?

Why not give your extra money to god's solemnly chosen organization the Watchtower Corporation.

Why anger god in this way when you can appease him in another way ?

• jam
    jam

I wonder, can you work for a company that supply the cookies

to the Girl Scouts...Or work for a company that supply the sugar

for the the cookies. Those evil cookies. LOL

They have BIG balls, the UN. I was drilled by the Elders because

I worked at a Airo Space company, we made parts for commercial

and military planes.

And Welcome!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest