Over 7yrs as a JW and I just found out I'm not supposed to buy Girl Scout Cookies?

by Maat13 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maat13
    Maat13

As I read through the various responses on this subject it's obvious that no formal position has been made by the society. Based on this simple conclusion I can easily envision a conversation with an elder should I decide to ask for clarification. It would go something like..."Well Maat if you use your Bible trained conscience and consider what the Girl Scouts represent, then perhaps that will give you a strong indication as to whether or not you should make that purchase."

While I fully understand the "Bible trained conscience" piece of that reasoning, logic will have me asking "Well what about all of the other places I shop and buy things? what do they represent? ...should I find out what the mom and pop shop down the street represents? should I only shop from other JW's? Should I stop going to Walmart?...

The list does not stop and unfortunately neither does the unbelievable reasoning and unnecessary stress JW's put on me and others on a daily basis to remain faithful to Jehovah. I mean really, if one truly understood how our system worked, they would no longer buy or sell anything anywhere, sell all their belongings and move to a shanty town filled with other JW's where they can grow and live off the land like Adam did...

But of course logic has no place in deciding when to buy Girl Scout Cookies or shop at garage sales or toast a celebration or even say 'Good Luck' or 'God Bless you' when someone sneezes. All of this before we even consider the things written in our "Organized" Green Manual...

I thought there were only 2 commandments....'for which all of the law hangs'....

I really do envy those of you who exited the TTATL after 10, 20, 30 or more years...

Still Confused...

Maat

• wasblind
    wasblind

Jam , I know of a Witness who quit thier job because they found out that the job was a supplier for the armed forces

here's the reason why

" For example, a person might renounce his place in the Christian congregation by his actions, such as by becoming part of a secular organization that has objectives contrary to the Bible and hence under judgement by Jehovah God."_____Organized to do Jehovah's Will book page 155

That includes any organization that show patriotism and salute the flag even if they do sell your favorite cookie

The Red cross is a definite No No. But many Witnesses do rely on the red cross when they are displaced

by a disaster, like a house fire , tornado. or hurricane. And let us not forget Blood fractions now allowed

Welcome Maat13

• jam
    jam

I guess working in a condom factory would be NO NO.

Wow, how did I get from buying Girl Scout cookies to working

in a condom factory.

The borg cover all aspect of your life, suffocating.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Welcome.

In my two years as a non JW(before that I was just an average deist/agnostic/atheist/pantheist/) I have learned a lot. Watchtower's publications can certainly be a University education, that is if you dig the material they quote and the material that they overtly fail to quote.

Contrary to everything you are going to hear here, there are some of us who have a debt to the organization because it has pushed us to learn. Let me get started.

I trusted scientists and the theory of evolution but I didn't know why. Now I do.

I believed that religion was myth, but good. Now I am very ambivalent about it, leaning towards "religion is bad in general"

I used to somehow adhere to the belief that homosexuals were not quite equally deserving of some rights. Now I believe they deserve everything heterosexuals get.

I knew nothing about ancient history. Now I know at least some at an elementary level.

I knew nothing about the early chrsitianity. Now I know above elementary level.

I knew almost nothing about the Bible and the formation of the Canon. Now I know enough to give trouble to JW's and poke many, many, many holes at the holy book. (now I understand why they call it the holy book)

I knew nothing about cults. Now I do, especially about JW's

I used to believe that smart people can not easily be brainwashed. Now I have seen it with my own eyes.

I knew nothing about the history of the JW's and their leaders. Now I can give lectures to C.O. and D.O.s

I knew nothing about biblical times chronologies. Now I do, enough to offer $40,000.00 to any JW who can prove the chronology used to arrive at 1914 is well supported by facts and evidence.

Finally. I have learned, thanks to my study of the Watchtower and JW's, that Carl Sagan was spot on when he wrote:

The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry.”

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Yes, gosh I remember we were to never buy Girl Scout cookies or be a scout! Yes in the sixties it was part of Satan's organizations.

Boy Scout were just another way if training young people to wear uniforms and prepare them to take orders. Although it has nothing to do with military, they are very patriotic.

Besides they should be spending their time in field service rather than wanting to rule the world by one cookie at a time! joke!

I think it really is good for children! Another missed opportunity!

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Welcome! I love those mint flavored cookies. :-)

• jgnat
    jgnat

You think you've got it bad. Imagine if you were a fluffy vegan liberal. Here's how an ideal breakfast cereal is described for these fastidious folks:

Holy Crap Skinny B Dragon's Blend: gluten free, kosher, non-GMO, very high in fibre, source of omega-3 & omega-6, organic, pure, unprocessed, artisan made, made in paradise on the sunshine coast. Contains chia, organic buckwheat, and organic hulled hemp seeds.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I always bought Girl Scout cookies, and thought that other JWs who didn't were stupid.

• losingit
    losingit

Never knew it was even a problem. I always bought them, and still do. I always thought it was nice to support little ladies in reaching their cookie-selling goal!

• Maat13
    Maat13

Never a JW

I echo your sentiments. I've been studying for more than 10years in a very similar manner. And when I say studying I mean studying. Not just repeating answers highlighted in a rainbow colored Watchtower article. What's really interesting is that all of that studying has brought me here, with a ton information I would have not known otherwise. I am thankful that I embraced the Truth. I would not be where I am (my spiritual quest) today without it.

Is it a cult? Yes. does it have a good cause? Yes. Has it helped more than hurt? This remains to be seen or proven. But think of the number of people who would otherwise be doing something detrimental to society at large.

In my humble opinion, I don't think that most folks are brainwashed. It would seem to me that folks are looking for solace. A good story can always provide hope. Even if the story is bent. :-) Unfortunately some of us don't like fairy tales passed off as truth, so the moral of story loses its effectiveness.

Maat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit