Over 7yrs as a JW and I just found out I'm not supposed to buy Girl Scout Cookies?

by Maat13 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome Maat.

you said: Has it helped more than hurt? This remains to be seen or proven.

It does not remain to be seen or proven. They do hurt people. My cousin was in a very bad car accident and required a blood transfusion to save her life. She refused to take blood and she died. She left behind 3 children and a husband. This hurt our whole family very much.

There is a pedophile in my parent's former congregation. He sexually abused his daughter. He is still a Jehovah's Witness.

My Mom fell ill in the early '90s with a chronic and progressive lung disease. My Dad had to stop his Field Serve-Us duties to look after her. The elders never helped him. They just kept hounding him to pio-sneer.

These 3 stories are not uncommon in this religion.

• Maat13
    Maat13

Heaven

I empathize with you.

My statement was 'has it hurt MORE than helped'....and this is on a grand scale....not pertaining to a partcular persons situation. For those on this site...there's probably much hurt.

Maat

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Maat

In my opinion the WTS has indeed hurt on a grand scale

Many people died based on a belief that was changed later on

Many put off an education becuase they were told

the end was so close they would not graduate high school

some even sold thier homes because of the WTS lies

The good cause you speak of, is only to recruit free labor

for thier own gain

Many put off marriage and children

Based on what the WTS taught that didn't come to pass

I would say that is hurt on a grand scale

• Maat13
    Maat13

Was Blind

I understand the hurt pain caused over the last 100 years.

This why I said it remains to be proven. Until all the hurt, pain and grief caused is weighed against the good, it remains to be seen. It's unfortunate, quite unfortunate. And very painful. I am just doing my best to have an objective view of the situation.

According COC , the WTS was worth well over $1Billlon dollars in today's currency (accounting for inflation)...They've grown since then...It can't be all bad...there is some good.

But that obviously doesn't make it right or Truth.

Maat

• wasblind
    wasblind

" I am doing my best to have an objective view of the situation "_____Maat

Understood Maat

Bein' worth a lota money only means your good at what you do. Right or wrong

Al Capone had money too

Not to mention Bernie Madoff who made off like a bandit

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Yes they do have lots of money but how many homeless people have they helped, how many soup kitchens have they provided, how many widows and orphans have they supported. The list goes on and on of the things this charitable organization has not done. It is really very disgusting that they have a charitable status but yet no money goes to those who need help in any way. Their money goes to printing magazines, books, real estate, paying very little for slave labor, for lawyers to fight endless legal battles and paying settlements to victims of child molestation. I would say their record is very dismal. They have preyed on good hearted people who have given their hard earned money and yet most of them have a very limited knowledge of what it has been used for. When I got out and actually realized what they were doing it made me very angry.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Matt keep on working on some of these things you wrote about. It is very hard to understand how a religion can control the free will and minds of others.

Hang in there it does not get any better!

• Maat13
    Maat13

Sarahsmile,

You mentioned that "It is very hard to understand how a religion can control the free will and minds of others"

I submit to you Edward Burnays (nephew of Sigmund Freud)

A great documentary can found on the web detailing Edward's work...'The Century of Self'

This may shed some light on your statement...no pun intended :-)

Maat

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Maat13, On a piece of paper, draw a "T" and on the left-side write all the good things that the WTBTS has done that you are personally aware of. I don't mean what you have seen on stage at a meeting or assembly unless you have done independent research to verify what is presented on the stage is true. On the right-side write what you feel the WTBTS has done that you are personally aware of that has harmed people. I will predict that there will be more examples of the WTBTS doing harm than good.

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS's stance on JWs not attending college to qualify for a better paying career?

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that KH's be unecessarily remodeled a KH or moving a congregation to another location and selling the old KH, and then the WTBTS pressures JWs to donate money to remodel or build a new KH?

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs go out in FS when most people are not home or may adversely affect a JW's ability to work a 40-hr job? How about the WTBTS's stance on JWs attending 2 nights of meetings/week that might adversely affect a JW's ability to work a 40-hr job?

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs do not accept whole blood transfusions or changing its blood doctrine over the last 60-years?

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs shun JWs who DA themselves like Raymond Franz?

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs not associate with non-JWs unless they are conducting indoctrination sessions (i.e., Bible Studies) with non-JWs.

How do you feel JWs benefit from loaning money to the WTBTS and then the WTBTS telling those JWs that it was not a loan but a donation?

How do you feel JWs benefit from being told to do more or give more to the WTBTS even if it reduces a JW's enjoyment?

How do you feel JWs benefit from having a cult persona and authentic persona, instead of a unified and authentic personality?

Keep on doing independent research of the WTBTS, and in less than 1 year you feelings about the WTBTS will change.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Maat13
    Maat13

Hi Maat13, On a piece of paper, draw a "T" and on the left-side write all the good things that the WTBTS has done that you are personally aware of. I don't mean what you have seen on stage at a meeting or assembly unless you have done independent research to verify what is presented on the stage is true. On the right-side write what you feel the WTBTS has done that you are personally aware of that has harmed people. I will predict that there will be more examples of the WTBTS doing harm than good.

Maat's Response: In my 10 years of experience with the JW's, I can firmly state that the left side will far outweigh the right side. Which is why I choose to take a more objective look at things given the history some others who may have a highly populated right hand side.

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS's stance on JWs not attending college to qualify for a better paying career?

Maat's Response: While there are a number of studies with statistical data showing the benefits of higher education from a financial standpoint, if you keep your life (eye) simple, a high paying job is not needed and neither is a college degree (BTW I hold a degree myself)

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that KH's be unecessarily remodeled a KH or moving a congregation to another location and selling the old KH, and then the WTBTS pressures JWs to donate money to remodel or build a new KH?

Maat's Response: I did not know the WTBTS required KH's to be unecessarily remodeled so it is difficult for me to answer a partial or whole of this question.

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs go out in FS when most people are not home or may adversely affect a JW's ability to work a 40-hr job? How about the WTBTS's stance on JWs attending 2 nights of meetings/week that might adversely affect a JW's ability to work a 40-hr job?

Maat's response: Part a.) While FS may START at a time when most people are NOT at home, it does not mean that other arrangements to do the FS work can not be made to visit homes when most people ARE at home. Part b.) The WTBTS has always encouraged those in these situations to pray about their circumstances and then act in harmony with those prayers. In time, those prayers will be answered.

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs do not accept whole blood transfusions or changing its blood doctrine over the last 60-years?

Maat's Response: This is sad, very sad. The GB are not scientist, never have been and probably never will be. Their current status on this issue is more practical but not perfect. I personally would not accept a blood transfusion, even if i was not a JW, I've held this position long before being baptised. As far as chaning their doctrine, on the one hand you can say it's 'spirit directed' because it has led to significant advancements(debatable but not worth it) in the field. But on the other hand it has been a horrible atrocity because many have lost their lives doing what they thought was pleasing in Jehovah's eyes based on WT dogma.

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs shun JWs who DA themselves like Raymond Franz?

Maat's response: I am not sure I understand this question. But I will say this, We were all encouraged to make the truth our own. I strongly believe that one should leave the truth on their own.

How do you feel JWs benefit from the WTBTS requiring that JWs not associate with non-JWs unless they are conducting indoctrination sessions (i.e., Bible Studies) with non-JWs.

Maat's Response: I'm not familiar with any "indoctrination sessions", but I do agree that spendng time with non-JW's when there is formal or informal conversation that involves showing love for one's neighbor and loving God with all of your strength is okay.

How do you feel JWs benefit from loaning money to the WTBTS and then the WTBTS telling those JWs that it was not a loan but a donation?

Maat's Response: I have not experienced this and I have never heard of anyone falling victim to this.

How do you feel JWs benefit from being told to do more or give more to the WTBTS even if it reduces a JW's enjoyment?

Maat's Response: I have not heard this nor have I experienced this. This would be worse than the underlying principle of tithing. The origins of which was derived from farmers giving back 10% of their crops to the fields in the form of seeds in order to have more crops the next harvesting period.

How do you feel JWs benefit from having a cult persona and authentic persona, instead of a unified and authentic personality?

Maat's Response: It is this facet of the organization that I wish the GB would be more forward about. But unfortunately the masses don't feel the need to investigate the history or challenge the message of the FADS.

Keep on doing independent research of the WTBTS, and in less than 1 year you feelings about the WTBTS will change.

Maat's Response: I've done an exorbitant amount of studying, my feelings are pretty firm now. I am very well aware of what is going on. Further research will only confirm that. My first long standing bible study (8 years ago) had many questions about Ray Franz. I'm aware

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit